Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How Far Can Andrew Nembhard Take This Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by murphree_hall, Jul 13, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I think we'll see other guys leading fast breaks more so than AN this season. Our problem the last two years was that no one felt comfortable leading a fast break and we'd always look to give AN the ball which would prevent potential opportunities. Now we have Scottie and Tre, the strength of their games is pushing tempo and creating when the defense is off balance. I also think Keyontae will be capable of leading a fast break on occasion. This team will be much tougher to press against because now even our center can bring it up if necessary.

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    A fast break will very often result from a guard finding a player ahead of the defense, and making the pass. Andrew will be very good at that, and I think the guys you name will be on the receiving end very often.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Good thread. I have worried about AN's foot speed going forward but it is fair to say that he was not surrounded by wings capable of pushing pace, he was told to help a weak boarding team, and he has great vision. With new more athletic wings and him progressing as a soph I hope we punish opponents with fast breaks. Cant wait for this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Not worried either. AN has a good chance to be All-SEC 1st team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Early in the season Andrew was terrible at finishing in the lane. Terrible. Always shied away from contact and tried to finesse the ball in rather than going up strong with it. By mid-February he was much better. I expect he'll be better still this season, being more experienced and a little stronger. I expect he'll actually be looking to initiate the contact and draw the foul.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Freshman

Jul 11, 2019
    Agreed, but he also had the tendency to walk the ball up the court very methodically. As I said in the OP, I do believe CMW instructed him to do so. Even so, I would have expected him to exploit opportunities when they were there. I can't really recall him pushing the pace when he had the chance. Hopefully, the new personnel will allow him to run more. That being said, Allen and Hudson were more than willing to run the break, so I don't think he had nobody to move the ball to last year.

7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Agree. A few times last year he showed some speed. He was totally playing the speed he needed to in order to keep command. And he had to limit a lot of passes.
    When the team is completely his we will be formidable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately, by default the team practically was his on the offensive side of the ball. That should not be the case this season. Based on the games that I saw Lewis play last season, he will be our best playmaker in the half court offense.

9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What opportunities did he not exploit? Other teams were more than willing to allow Allen and Hudson TRY to run the break. When you have guys who can finish it will open things up substantially.

10. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    So many reasons and you gave the best one.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I will only add this: The 2005/2006 season had the '04s being one year older and they got better. But in the end, it was ALL about how mature Taurean got. It WAS his team. When he played good we won. If he played meh then the game was in question. THAT is how important the quarterback, basketball speaking, is to the success of a team. And when I talk about success, I am not talking about a particular game but rather how the season finally ends.

I am NOT worried about how Andrew is going to come out and play for his second - and perhaps last - season in a Gator uniform.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. upload_2019-7-15_11-46-1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I have little doubt Nembhard will have another outstanding (and even better) season for us, regardless of tempo (which, like others have posted, I also suspect will be faster due to the fleet talent we are adding).

That said, I think Magic Johnson proved that the PG doesn't have to be a speed demon to run an awesome fast-breaking team. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I’m too excited for rational analysis

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Correct. Mike's system likes a quick point guard that can get in the lane and dish. Andrew struggled with that early but got better as the season progressed. What he lacks in quickness, he'll more than make up for with size, court vision, and that uncanny passing ability... a smaller Magic Johnson, if you will. On fast breaks, Andrew will be just fine because he'll generally have the speed merchants on either side and ahead of him, and he's developed the ability to take it to the basket himself and take contact. Dude is gonna excel this season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That would be a real bonus if Lewis ends up our best playmaker in the half court, as from what I’ve read on him, that appeared to be his weakness.

However, Blackshear will be a half court monster in his own right down low. And we should have plenty of shooters on the outside. White obviously prioritizes defense, but this team should have a lot of offensive potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You can find plenty of video on Lewis and his high school, Ranney. If you get a chance, watch some of the video and see what you think of his playmaking skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

This years team is going to be very different in style and performance than last years and Nembhard will be perfectly competent in leading them. There's really not a point guard in the world that doesn't like to play open court, fast paced basketball. Allows for better opportunity to showcase your skills. Especially when you have guys like Scottie Lewis and KJ running down the wing with a guy like Blackshear trailing.....makes things easy.

19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I agree. His prior weakness seemed to be consistency with his outside shot and from what I understand he's been working hard on that

20. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG]