Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How do you March Madness?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Mar 13, 2018.

What is your usual watching plan?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2018.
  1. Take off Thursday and Friday

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Take off Thursday or Friday (depending on when Gators play)

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Watch at work

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Hope the Gators play at night (lucky year for that)

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Do you have an annual tradition? I've heard that going to Vegas for the first weekend is a big thing and it's crazy and fun.

I take off Thursday and Friday and fly to NJ (where I grew up) to hang out at my friends and watch hoops all day. He has a bunch of guys that come and go during both days. We eat ridiculous amounts of food (one deli has 300 custom subs to choose from) and there is plenty of good beer. I usually have to book the first flight out in case the Gators play early on Thursday. This year I booked a Wednesday flight so I don't have to wake up at 4am.

What's your usual plan? Does it change now because the Gators are playing at night?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Being one of the only huge college hoops fans in Canada, I always used the first few days as an opportunity to invite as many friends over as possible to experience it. Many are casual basketball fans or general sports fans and watching with a rabid fan (me) their passion for it grows. This also allows me to make new Gator fans since they don't have anyone else to cheer for, being Canadian haha. With the late game for the Gators I haven't decided if I'll find somewhere to watch alone to be more focused or what haha.

@ArtVandelay as you mentioned... copious amounts of great beer and great food is a necessity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Man, can't compete with @ArtVandelay on this!

Since I'm a therapist, my work is largely appointment based. My regular Thursday and Friday PM appointments were notified last week that I had a conflict in my schedule and we'd need to pick an alternate time for the following week. This means I can do paperwork while watching on a computer/tablet or something.

So nothing special but the first two days of the tournament are two of the most fun days of the year IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 1bobcat

1bobcat Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    When Florida would play the early game I'd take a long lunch to watch. I now work from home so I'll be streaming and watching as much as I can while getting a little work done as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  5. soichman

soichman Sophomore

Jun 4, 2010
    When I was in grad school, I'd hang out in my buddy's lab. He hooked his laptop up to the lab projector, and then we'd turn around one of the scientific posters hanging on the wall, tape it up backwards, and project the games on the white side of the poster.
    These days I just watch from my computer at work, and make good use of the "boss button" if anyone walks by my office. Probably my two least productive days of the year.
    Tried to plan a trip to Vegas with some friends to enjoy this weekends games, but two of them couldn't make it. So we moved it back and week and I'll be in Vegas eating/drinking/gambling next weekend for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. I've heard this weekend is the busiest time in Vegas all year!

• Like Like x 2
  6. GATORJV

GATORJV All American

Oct 10, 2014
    I try to listen to the games on my phone as much as I can while at work. My company blocks ESPN and CBS during the tourney. I find that partially hilarious and partially sad. Lol.

If we make it to the second weekend, I'll be there in Boston. I just recently moved about an hour outside of Boston for work. My dad, the one who got me into Gator basketball while he was attending pharmacy school at UF, happens to be visiting that weekend. I'd love to go watch the Gators in the Sweet 16 with him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Always take the first Friday off and gather with some friends at a sports pub. We switch it up every few years and ask around to see if we can get specials. We try and stay local, but there's a Buffalo Wild Wings near my house that is very accommodating. Games start early on the west, and they are fully staffed with a full bar at tip off.

And yes, Vegas the first week of the tournament is crazy. Sports books are packed and people start arriving on Selection Sunday to place wagers and scope out their spots. Some fans of PAC-12, WAC, and MWC schools are lucky that their conference tournament is in Vegas, and for them, it's a week plus of basketball. Personally, I don't know if I can handle spending that much time in Vegas anymore, but I would recommend trying to do the first week of the tournament in Vegas at least once.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    My company blocks Yahoo email. I check my phone all day long. I think it's funny that they think this prevents people from finding other ways to waste time if you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GATORJV

GATORJV All American

Oct 10, 2014
    Yeah. I'll never complain about the company overall. They have given me opportunities I couldn't imagine or dream of. I'm on a really good path to Senior Leadership at 29. But the best thing to do, in my opinion, is not block regular sites and let people use them from time to time. I listen to podcasts while I do work. Having something going while I'm working helps me focus.

• Like Like x 2
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    As a realtor, I can generally dictate my schedule. I try to keep much of those two days open --- and certainly schedule around games I really want to see.
    Obviously, Florida is a must watch.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I always go to Vegas for the first weekend (15 years and running). Meet up with my old college buddies. Today is like Xmas eve....can’t wait to head out there tomorrow. Awesome trip that I’d recommend to any fellow hoops junkie. Simply the greatest experience.

• Like Like x 4
  12. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    That's awesome! Where do you stay usually? Do you stay and watch the games at one place or mix it up? Is there something that isn't good about it?

13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Several weeks before the tournament, I block out my Thursday and Friday afternoon calendar with bogus off-site meetings. That way no one can book my time for one of their stupid meetings. Cretins. They need to grow up.

This year, seeing that the Gators are a night game, my online scheduler miraculously cleared for those two afternoons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Sounds very similar to what I do throughout the year. My schedule doesn't clear until the time has passed though ;)

15. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Oct 13, 2011
    We’ve stayed all over during the years. At the outset we did it on the cheap and stayed on Freemont St...Golden Nugget, etc. Now we are spoiled, old farts, so we enjoy Wynn, Venetian, etc.

I love everything about it. Negatives? Guy to girl ratio is very bad (for heterosexuals I guess). But, we are all married with kids, so we are beyond the clubbing days anyway. The table mins are kinda high due to the large crowds.

They have tons of “watch parties” which are basically expanded sports books in ballrooms, etc. The end of every game is intense especially if close to the spread. 50% of the room erupting one way or another for every free throw. Kinda funny how interested you get in an otherwise non-significant game when you have some $$ on it. For the Gators we get away from the horde so we can concentrate on the good guys.

• Like Like x 4
  16. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    I used to play hooky the afternoon of the UF game when I worked in the corporate world. Otherwise had the stream with the "Boss button" handy. Now I'm self employed and most of my clients know I'm an NCAA tourney junky.

Just like AA, My name is gulfgator and I've been going out to LV the 1st weekend for 8 straight years and am a hopelessly hooked degenerate for that 1st weekend ;~

Leaving for TPA to LAS right now!

• Like Like x 3
  17. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Sounds awesome! Big fan of Freemont, Would be awesome to have a bunch of games on big screen while listening to the bands at night. Good move with regard to the Gator game! Have fun

18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm retired now so Thursday and Friday will be guilt free.

• Like Like x 4
  19. GATORJV

GATORJV All American

Oct 10, 2014
    This may be a dumb question, because I'm not in management yet, but what is the boss button? Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. soichman

soichman Sophomore

Jun 4, 2010
    When you're streaming March Madness games, there is a little button somewhere at the top or corner of the screen. When you press it, your browser window is quickly switched to something professional looking, like a powerpoint presentation or spreadsheet. Every year they do something a little different. It's more of a joke, but certainly could fool anyone passing by and taking a quick glance at your screen :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1