Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How do you anticipate your life will change?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Mar 12, 2020.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Chicago - that's even better for you. Puts her close to home so you can see her more often. My daughter loves Austin and has no desire to move. She lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years back around 2000 and has no desire to return to Colorado. Would be difficult to do that anyway as she is divorced and shares joint custody of her son with his father. Fortunately they are on good terms and put their son's interests ahead of their own.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My doctor had a table in the hallway with Purell that you were asked to use before you entered the doctors office

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Major change here at Wingo Acres, I retired a few year back and have been a frequent poster here on Gator Country sports forums and attending Gator sports, Baseball, Softball, WBK, Gym, VB and even Lax, all show up on my Google Calendar, turned them all off yesterday so with lots more time at home and with warm weather, I am distributing plants and upgrading the sprinkler sytems for my different plant areas, when that is done I will be cleaning up the mess wintering plants in the greenhouses and replacing the cover on one of them, then off to several Native Nurseries to scout new (to me) varieties of Florida native plants. I'll also use some of the new extra time to work on enhancing the news and notes I do several times a month for about 1200 alumni of our Clermont High School and upgrading the alumni database to make it easier for classes to communicate with classmates from back in the day. With nothing special on the schedule some days I walk out the door with no idea what I am going to do until I see a chore needing attention. Yes I do enjoy retirement, the pandemic, I hope is a short term blip that does the least possible harm to people wherever they live. For the first time I remember I actually used the wipes provided at Publix today. I drive back and forth to Gvl on I 75, I see that as a far greater threat to my health than the C Virus.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I 75 around here is a daily death defying feat.

Oh, and Go Highlanders! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was in St Pete for races Thursday. We got canceled but Friday and the races were going to go on w/o fans. Then Friday after a few practice sessions, they pulled the plug. Sebring also postponed. Daytona 200, Gatornationals, Nascar at Homestead all scratched.
    Friends who make their living touring have been shut down, this is very very hard on them.
    As for me, I unloaded my truck of camping gear today, going to load the kayak tomorrow and visit my coronavirus space space, my secret lake in the woods.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Hmm - I usually pay cash for everything except the major bills. I will be using the debit card for a while now. I don’t want to risk the money infecting my household

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Yesterday's Shabbat service was really strange. Haven't been for a few weeks so there was a strong urge to hug people but we had been getting emails for days about social distancing at the shul. There was a bar mitzvah yesterday, a young man from a prominent family in the congregation. Must of been very hard for all the women not to hug him or pinch his cheeks. There was a very small crowd in the sanctuary but there was a video feed set up for people who chose not to attend or weren't able to. No food, no touching the bar mitzvah boy, no touching the Torah scrolls and everyone was encouraged to leave as soon as the service was over. They've now cancelled morning minyan till further notice.

8. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Working from home....sucks, but is doable. Watched church service on youtube. Very strange. I didn't realize how much I enjoy getting out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    As of now, I do not have any real changes. I am semi-retired and I am usually at home except for errands. I still make errands.

IMO, this is the flu with more fear. I wash my hands regularly regardless of whether it is CV of just the right of the flu season. Not getting close to others physically is rather easy. Going out to restaurants or beer is off limits but that wasn't a regular thing.

We DID go get some takeout the other day because we wanted to support the local restaurant economy. I also went out for breakfast and tipped WAY more than I thought was appropriate. If nothing, I guess we can give to those folks who are kind of "week to week" in their finances.

• Like Like x 3
  10. drose44

drose44 Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    panama city, fl
    Oddly enough I'm not a highly social person other than immediate family and don't find the social distance to be a problem. Unfortunately one of the effects was the cancellation of my wife's birthday celebration among immediate family due to having several unconfirmed illnesses at my place of employment, not wanting to possibly expose my older in laws or grand kids.
    On a broader scale we are still recovering from hurricane Micheal to which we were living in a travel trailer for 8 months. Ive experienced complete devastation, lack of food/water and electricity and found a new respect for the "small" things in life. The inconvenience of many of the suggested practices for avoiding this damn virus are almost taken in stride.
    I fear not for my own mortality, but for that of family and friends. On the financial end of this due to either layoffs / working from home /paid leave, the effects will linger for years in the economy. But having lost so much, so recently I can honestly say @#$% it. My family and friends are much more important than the almighty $.

• Like Like x 4
  11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The cancellation of UF Spring sports has opened my calendar significantly but the upside is it has put me outside with my plants even more than usual. Sheltering in place is pretty easy when you live in the scrub and have room to roam a plenty. While my posting on the sports side of GC has diminished significantly I have more time to maintain on line contact with our Clermont High School groups on FB and through the WWW. Over the last year or so my much better half and I have cut way back on eating at restaurants so that hasn't been an issue either. Between Steve Russell on WRUF and NPR during the day and DirecTV evenings, I get my entertainment. Perry Mason shows from the 50s & 60s and Ancient Alien episodes are my go to shows :)
    Life goes on until it doesn't, change is the only constant and my best friend still tolerates my eccentricities well after all the years together.

• Like Like x 2
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Some things have not changed much for me as I've been pretty much a homebody anyway for the last year or so. The biggest change is we aren't seeing our son and daughter-in-law and the 3 grandkids as we usually do. We are staying apart by mutual agreement. I don't know how much longer that will last but at least 2 weeks I think. We miss seeing them but phone connection helps.

Our son is is the head of trauma surgery at one of the hospitals here in the valley and by his own choice has a schedule where he works 16 days straight then is off for 12. He likes it because he likes to travel and having periodic extended days off allows him to do that. He and the family had planned to go to China and would be there right now if the virus and subsequent pandemic had not arisen. Anyway, he has not been at the hospital this past week so I don't know what changes may have been occurring or even what it will mean for him as a trauma surgeon. Any news I learn I will pass along.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I had only been kayaking twice in the past two years. Last week I went 3 times. A little quiet lake in the deep woods by my house, Ponce Inlet, Tomoka State Park. Beautiful scenery. Deer, gators, bald eagles, dolphins. Barely any people out at all.
    I've only been to a store 3 times since the 13th. Groceries twice and Home Depot once for 10 minutes.
    My parents have been staying with me for over 3 months, they are going north this wknd. I'm going to really enjoy some peace and quiet for awhile.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    This week the governor of Tennessee ordered the closing of bars and restaurants. We only had a handful of restaurants here in Paris and they seem to be going to take out only with little problem.

The wife has not got out since last Thursday when we went to see my doctor for a routine visit. I have gone to Walmart twice and an independent grocer once. Ordering for Walmart pick up has become a problem because their inventory is so fluid many items say must buy in the store.

We live in Henry Country, which is more a is about 50 miles from any major town, like Jackson, Tn or Clarksville. We are 2 hours from Nashville and Memphis.

As of last night, there have been no reported cases of Coronna Virus in our county, and the best I could tell no bordering counties either, but I am not as familiar with the counties as I was in Florida, so I could be wrong.

We did not have church Sunday, so that was different for me. Most all our friends go to the church we go to, so that did add to the isolation feeling.

I plan on going to Kroger today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

My daughter, ex-wife, her husband and my GFs sister all lost their jobs last week. I thankfully have a remote career and business is booming(I work on CRM software for the Feds). I have 2 gigs right now and have to turn down work. I heard if this goes another month, 1/3 of all restaurants will fail and not come back. That is lots of unemployed, lots of jobs lost down the supply chain. This is like the steel mills closing here in Pittsburgh in the 1980's, except it's EVERYWHERE. I agree with Trump that Easter is a good time to open for business again and care for our most vulnerable. I am not interested in a THFSG debate, just making a statement.

16. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

The church really should, if it hasn't, look at Zoom. Very easy to use. Free version that will let you meet for 40 minutes at a time. $15 per month for meetings that can last 24 hours--that is when the preacher really gets wound! LOL

It allows folks to see each other. Also has a phone in option for those who have trouble with tech.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My first wife's grandparents lived in Stockbridge. When we drove up I-75 we got off at the McDonough exit and went up SR 155. Granny and Grandaddy lived right across from Panola State Park. It was cool.

18. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Thanks, we did stream and will do so this week as well. It just is not the same.

I did go to Krogers and gas around town was $1.15 with the cheapest at $.99 That station does not take credit/debit cards so they tend to have to "try harder"

19. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Totally agree! Something we discovered and should have thought of before!! was shut-ins, those traveling(truckers), and people who moved away were able to join! Definitely something that will continue once this whole thing ends!

20. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    We normally put our services on Vimeo each week. That is one of the reasons I am not on GC on Sundays, as I get the drive, edit it, make the MP4 and try to get it online by 5:00 CDT.

• Like Like x 2