Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How do you anticipate your life will change?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Mar 12, 2020.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    In the cannabis dispensary thread @StrangeGator asked a rhetorical question - "what else is there to do during a pandemic?" It likely was a somewhat glib, throwaway comment/question, not necessarily looking for an answer. Nonetheless, it brings up the point, our day to day lives will be altered from our usual routines as we willingly or unwillingly enter this time of "social distancing." Some of us, employed in the field of education will not be going to the classroom or interacting face to face with students. No doubt people in other occupations will also change their customary procedures or routines in one aspect or another.

And not just work. We will need to substitute new activities for the time formerly spent watching sports on TV or attending sporting events - or concerts. Will new movie releases be postponed as theaters will no doubt see attendance plummet? Will you be changing plans for a vacation in the near future? How long do you think the enforced changes and suspensions will last? How long will we, can we, tolerate it? The situation has taken on a surreal aspect, as traditions and rituals are suspended.

Will we find in their absence they hold less importance than we formerly thought? Will we fill our TV time with other shows, or read more, spend more time with family, exercise, or take up a new hobby with the newly available time.

Are you angry over the suspensions or grateful the courage was found to do it as the financial cost will be great. Share your thoughts, impressions, frustrations, or resentments. Tell us what surprising things you might find you like about the closings. Or what you hate most about the situation. Use this thread to vent, but please leave politically oriented comments in the overheated establishment on the other side of the Plaza. They will not be welcome here.

2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm guessing binge watching some shows will increase in the coming weeks. I feel like it's 1987, 1992 and 2008 all over again. At least back then I could get in my Ski Nautique and run me some bouys.

Those were the days.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Gone fishing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi Lacuna,

I'm at work today and no one is here, they just closed school for 2 weeks.

Trying to self isolate. I am fortunate because I work in a 3 person office.

Hope you are doing well and all of our Gator Friends everywhere.

I can't fault officials for stopping events, I was hoping to meet AKA and a few other gators at the SEC tourney but I cancelled those plans.

Looks like it will be a quiet Spring Break for my son and I. We pretty much nixed our vacation plans altogether.

I live on the main line near Philly. They are closing everything down here now.

5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Amazon management has made it clear that we get paid time off if we even have an inkling that we're infected but I intend to keep working. We're currently on mandatory overtime because of the surge in demand, so I'll be doing five 10 hour days a week. I work with a low risk population and don't depend on public transportation. We wear gloves all day and our jobs don't require close proximity to each other. I just don't want to be stuck at home any longer than I need to be. On the days I am home, I'll be right there with Knights on the binge watching front but also getting outside in the day time.

6. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My wife and I are serving as surrogate parents for a college freshman from Tokyo attending Kalamazoo College and I'll be driving to Michigan next weekend to bring her to Chicago for spring break. Her mom and I were sweethearts our freshman year at UF and have maintained a friendship for over 40 years. She was going to take the train from Kalamazoo but I'd rather her not be exposed to other passengers. It has nothing at all to do with me having just purchased an Audi A3 sedan last weekend and desperately wanting to get on the open road. Now we have to figure out how to keep her entertained during a pandemic.

7. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Sounds as though your busy job is relatively low risk. That's good for you. Does your wife work outside the home?

I read your post where you said your daughter is leaving Apple for a new job. Best wishes for her continued success. My daughter made several job changes before she took the offer Apple made her about 8 years ago. They all prepared her for the job she now has with Apple. She's had 2 promotions since she joined the company and was thrilled when she passed Tim "Apple" Cook in a corridor of the mother ship a few months ago and he greeted her by name.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Sounds sensible to pick her up. Enjoy the drive. Hope the roads are in good condition for you.

9. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I imagine you are enjoying the solitude. Play the music you like. Eat what you like when you want to eat it. There are advantages. , but sad to hear your Spring Break plans are wrecked. Trucker was going to go to Gainesville for the Orange and Blue game and play some golf and bridge with friends but is staying home, now. The Den mod UncleNunzio and his wife are friends of ours and are supposed to visit this coming July. I hope nothing wrecks those plans as we are looking forward to seeing them. They had planned to go to Japan to visit their son who is stationed there in the Navy but had to cancel because of the damned virus.

I like Philly. We lived in Wilmington, Delaware from 1970 until 1974 and would drive up to Philly's Chinatown for dinner once a month or so. Are all those restaurants still there? Seems like there were dozens of them back then, but we had 2 favorites. I think they were on Race Street.

10. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My wife works for Humana corporate but almost exclusively from home. Our daughter left Apple last July after three years. She spent the next three months traveling around the world, then came home to look for a job. It was amazing to see how hiring managers respond to her experience at Apple. She got past first base with nine different companies/organization and had three offers. She started at JP Morgan Chase on Monday.

Tim Cook is as kind and thoughtful CEO as you will ever meet. Much of our daughter's job revolved around his public speaking and event participation. While she had little face to face contact with him, there was daily contact through emails, especially leading up to launch events. When she finally was introduced by her own boss, Tim said, "Oh, you're Rivah" and thanked her for her hard work and complimented her writing.

Eight years! That's awesome. What is your daughter's role now?

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    I do not anticipate any changes.

My wife and I are retired. We normally go out on Sunday and Friday to eat which we will continue to do. We attend church on Sunday and do not anticipate that changing any time soon, unless the governor orders no meetings like they are doing in some places.

I have two doctor appointments next week, one for the eyes and one with my GP. The only change I will have there is that for the GP I will get there as close to appointment time as possible so as not to have to linger in the waiting room. Normally the wait time there is no more than 15 minutes and normally it is about 5 minutes.

I have never had the flu, but understand that this may be different. I will follow what my GP advises me to do and will carry on accordingly.

12. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I suspect there will be some changes at your church. We're getting daily emails from our synagogue about physical contact. There's a bar mitzvah tomorrow but they've decided not to have a kiddish (luncheon). It'll be weird since we can't hug or shake hands. Weirder still, we're encouraged to bow in lieu of traditional forms of contact, which is usually frowned upon in our faith. I'm thinking it's more of a Buddhist bow. (Our rabbi spent a year in a Buddhist monastery in Nepal.)

Speaking of Buddhism, my dojo is closed. No classes or meditation sessions until further notice. That's going to be hard. Our annual North American summer camp has been cancelled too, an excellent idea since the largest concentration of dojos is in Washington state and British Columbia. Never mind that Aikido, Judo or any variant of Jujutsu would be just about the surest way to transmit or contract a virus.

I doubt any of us fully comprehend how our lives will change. It's best now to make the best of it since there are some positive sides to this. Couples will have more intimacy and families will be drawn closer together.

13. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    The roads should be fine. We've had a frighteningly warm winter. The drive is about three hours each way. That will give Kanase and I some more time to bond over music and other common interests. She is such a lovely young woman. Another lucky family in the Ocala area is getting to host her twin sister who just left Valencia CC to continue her semester online.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  14. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Just found out that our house guest is immuno-suppressed. More risk to us but all the more important to provide a safe place for her. Also found out that her college is extending spring break by two weeks. I promised her mom we would take care of her and that's exactly what we're going to do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I've noticed that my counseling has worked. I am ok with everyone's reaction to the crisis even if I believe it's over reaction. Since this is unprecedented, everyone's perspective on how to react is valid. So I've been preaching "don't worry, be happy" to everyone I talk to. I think it's all going to be back to normal sooner than we think right now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Excellent points. Things might not be back to normal for a while. We'll just continually adjust to evolving states of normal. We're Gators. We know how to adapt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    After that attorney caused the entire town of New Rochelle to close down I would expect a cautionary approach.

18. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Great company to work for. From Apple Cupertino to The Big Apple. Nice move!
    She is a business development manager located in Austin. Loves the job.

19. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I just got home from an appointment at the oncology clinic. They have initiated changes in that waiting room. The magazines and newspapers have been removed, along with the puzzle that sat on a table under a side window. Until this week a different 500 to 1,000 piece puzzle sat on a table in the waiting room. It was there for any interested person to work on until it was completed. It would then be replaced with another puzzle and the process of assembly would began again. It would take about 2 weeks for patients and families to complete each one.

There was one more change worth mentioning. Every table in the waiting room had a large dispenser of Purell sitting on top of it,

• Like Like x 1
  20. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Rivah is in the Chicago office but reports directly to NYC. Lives with her boy friend in the city. Good thing since we just gave away her bedroom for three weeks.

She wants to return to Apple some day, in Austin, not Cupertino.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1