Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How do we stop the turnovers?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFish, Oct 7, 2019.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Jefferson can run the jet sweep just as well as Copeland. .maybe even better.

When you have a defense like Auburn...with those two moving mountains causing chaos in the middle.... your quarterback needs to get mobile quickly..... either backpedal, or take a few steps to their strongside.

Buying even another half second or so allows your play to develop...
    Which is exactly why Emory Jones really never got touched before he threw the ball.

2. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Trask is just going to get better with more experience.

I also always put a lot of those turnovers on the OL... I think they'll improve marginally by the end of the season.

And finally, the D sometimes just wins... at least 2 our our TOs vs AU were just great plays by them that would probably happen no matter who our QB was.

So with Trask getting experience and the OL gelling maybe we can take 3+ turnovers per game and get it down to 1 or 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Remember before you jump on KT for fumbles -WE CANNOT run the ball. QB is going to be under tremendous pressure when you cannot run the ball. KT is not a runner. That was probably the edge FF had over him in Coach DM decision on starting QB. KT needs to speed up his decision making which comes back to big game experience. He will be watching tape this week and learning. The defense has his back just like they had FF's back. Joe Burrows beware because LSU won't be able to run either. Go Gators

4. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

That's correct: or Jefferson

5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It'll be interesting if Jones gets time in BR. He's really starting to look like he deserves it. My gut tells me he's about ready to create some havoc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatorcloud

gatorcloud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    This. I wouldn't mess with a thing. He possibly played the toughest defense he will face all year. He just needs more live reps. I don't like the recommendations for changes because that may make him up tight. Let Trask figure it out through his experiences and let him sling it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fezziwigator

Fezziwigator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Miami:
    Q2: botched exchange on an RPO, fumble (Franks, Perine)
    Q2: mishandled pitch on an option play, fumble (Franks, Davis)
    Q4: either an overthrow or poor route, interception (Franks, Swain)
    Q4: RT beaten, QB hit on throw, questionable play call, interception (Delance, Franks, Mullen)

Kentucky:
    Q1: QB throws very late over the middle despite flawless protection, interception (Franks)
    Q2: RT beat badly, sack fumble (Delance, Franks)

Tennessee:
    Q1: Six-man pressure, RT and TE beaten, sack fumble (Delance, Krull, Trask)
    Q3: QB throws for the corner route, double covered, interception (Trask)
    Q3: QB throws deep into double coverage, tipped, interception (Trask)

Auburn:
    Q1: unchecked corner blitz from the right side, sack fumble (Trask)
    Q1: RB popped just beyond LOS and likely concussed, fumble (Pierce)
    Q1: LT beat badly, sack fumble (Forsythe, Trask)
    Q4: RG beat badly, sack fumble (Heggie, Trask)

The numbers are ugly for sure but I don't think its that bad looking forward.

The first five turnovers no longer have any relevance going forward in the Trask era.
    The sixth and seventh ones are of course part of a disturbing and continuing pattern.

The eighth one, Trask's throw into double coverage was a poor decision and poor throw. It happens and I'm comfortable with Trask's decision making overall and I'm assuming its going to get better.

The ninth, his second pick, was a gunslinger going for the kill, thwarted by a great defensive play and a little bad luck. Any pass that hits our receiver in the hands in the end zone I'll take all day.

The 10th, corner blitz, it happens. I've seen All-Pro Qbs take that hit. You'd think it would be obvious except their eyes and focus are downfield; they often don't see the blitzer until they're right on them. Still, I expect Trask will improve his pre snap read with more experience.

The 11th, well that shouldn't even be on the list. No defense against being knocked out by being speared in the temple. Count me as someone that doesn't believe Pierce should carry the ball around all week!

The last two sack fumbles are the real issue for this offense. Obviously that's on Trask and the line together. While I expect Trask to adjust and get better I hope he doesn't over do it. remember two of those fumble came just as he was throwing the ball, so if he was slow it was by about .2 second. Those of you hoping he gets the ball out sooner may be disappointed in the results in terms of incompletions or even picks.

Three fumbles from the QB position in one game is a bad number no doubt, but in retrospect it probably was the inevitable result of one of the best defensive lines in college crashing up against one of the weaker lines, against a non-mobile QB with no supporting running game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    It's notable that none of the turnovers against Auburn were due to bad decision-making, or really any sort of error attributable to the guy with the ball. Three were the O-line getting beat by one of the best defensive lines in the country, and the other was DP apparently getting knocked unconscious. No passes into double coverage, no sloppiness on special teams, no loose carrying of the ball... If we can keep LSU off of Trask, we will probably see an improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    IMO TOs have a huge element of luck and variance. We should expect TOs to drop tremendous. Frankly it is AWESOME that we've been able to win tough games with such bad TO luck.

1. Fumble recoveries have proven to be highly volatile and totally random. We've had AWFUL luck in this regard. Going forward we should starting getting half of the balls on the ground
    2. Trask will improve his pocket awareness which should reduce sacks and the potential for TOs
    3. We've had a rash of RBs fumbling, that'll decline. No worries.
    4. INTs aren't a huge concern for me with Trask. If I recall one of his was effectively a punt (midfield, 3rd and long type play).

IMO we will average slightly over 1 TO a game going forward. I won't be shocked if we have a couple 0's against SEC opponents, but mostly 1 TO games. We will have another 3-4 TO game out there, we just have to hope it doesn't bite us.

10. WhattaGator

At some point...
    Trask has to gain more pocket...and know when to tuck the frigging ball.

If there is a bull rush of defenders barreling in...he has got to know, at a certain point...that he's not going to get the pass off...(or the odds of it are extremely thin).... He's just got to learn that "point of no return", or the fumbles will continue.

He's doing a great job for us otherwise..
    With his knee injury, you could see that it affected his throws, as well..

I expect to see a lot more of Emory Jones on Saturday...this kid is also emerging to be the real deal...he tends to open up the running game a bit...
    And...he's got an arm on him!

11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Kyle is either not quite aware of the rush, or a little too brave in staying with his throw when he sees it coming. He needs to take a second off that mental clock.

And, when the ball does hit the turf, all hands need to be diving at the ball with their hair on fire. Let the refs decide whether it was an incomplete pass later.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Would be nice if our OTs could ride their guy’s past the play to open up an easier lane for QB to exit pocket. Up and under the rushing DE opens up a nice run/throw lane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    You mean leg don’t you? He only has one good lg.

14. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I also think Trask doesn't see the blindside hits quick enough, but 2.5 seconds is too quick. We simply can't whiff when trying to block.

15. Simple. Don't fumble and don't throw interceptions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    That tells us all we need to know. FF had fewer turnovers last year. FF and Trask have both had lots of turnovers this year. This all points to the O line.

17. WhattaGator

Emory Jones seems to be more capable of doing the RPO right now...

Kyle's still got to get a bit more pocket presence, and know when to tuck the ball....

Where EJ seems to open up the running game a bit, and, the kid has an arm on him as well.

Mullen will see how Trask's knee is holding up, and make sure that he stays as healthy as possible....

But, it's great to have two starting quarterbacks still remaining on our roster!... two different skill sets...and two different weapons to halo destroy LSWho!!

GO GATORS!!!

18. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    I’m not sure that we want him to see it quicker. The reason that he’s oblivious to his blind side is that he’s trusting his line and focused down field making reads. This was the major knock on FF. He looked for his first target and if he wasn’t open FF was off to the races.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Don't make them!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Not all on the OL... but if the OL plays like they did last year, turnovers will go down dramatically... So many good things happen...

1. QB has more time to throw so he fumbles less, gets hit less, and less likely to get injured

2. We run the ball more successfully... which makes turnovers less likely unless you have a back that just loves to fumble... but generally running the ball is safer than throwing it with respect to turnovers

3. Running the ball more successfully means less passing attempts, which means less chances for opposing defenses for interceptions...

That said, Trask needs to be more aware of his surroundings when the pocket is collapsing... otherwise, considering how much he's seemed to drop back and throw, he's done a pretty solid job of making good decisions with the football...

Obviously the skill position players need to fumble the ball less... not much to say there... just hold onto the football... make it a point of emphasis in practice...