Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How China's Military Views the United States

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jun 18, 2020.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why China's Military Sees America As The True Enemy

An interesting read of internal Chinese policy papers over the last 15 years. China's military calls the U.S. the "Strong Enemy". They view the U.S. as pursuing hegemony in the world, and they need to stop us. In reality, the U.S. prevents China from achieving many of its goals, like taking over Taiwan, claiming the South China Sea, etc. Many in the military favor a pre-emptive strike against the U.S.

• Informative Informative x 12
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Might not be a bad idea for them. How do we even begin to respond? Do we even have allies anymore?

• Come On Man x 6
    • Dislike x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Well, dang, we need to strike first!

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean, to be fair, they're right.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    We are enforcing international standards, not our own self-serving "standards". We do it because we're the only nation that can. I'm sure the U.S. would be happy to have the European Union and maybe Japan and South Korea share in this responsibility. And it benefits all nations to have access to international waters. We don't clear the area around another country so we can bring in our own fishing vessels, like China did with the Philippines. We don't make claims to international waters and islands in international waters in case we decide we need to explore for oil. We don't build islands and then convert them to military bases to help with illegal claims over international waters. Look at all the disputes that China has with its neighbors. Without U.S. involvement, the entire Pacific would be utter chaos, with wars breaking out on a regular basis. Hegemony is using one's leadership position to take advantage of other nations. While we benefit from free trade, I doubt we otherwise break even with all the money we spend on world security. If we didn't provide security for Pacific Rim countries (and the oceans), China would provide it by default, and then we would see what hegemony really is.

India is a perfect example. China is very bold with its move on the border with India, because the U.S. military is unlikely to get involved in a dispute over 24 sq. mi. at the edge of the Himalayas between two nuclear powers.

I just don't think that China is very appreciative of its largest customer (and its largest supplier of five-fingered technology).

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  7. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. I’m not taking an anti-US position.

I’m saying the US is actively spoiling China’s own ambitions. And I am for it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think there are two problems with China: an illegitimate communist government, and a mentality of a once proud country humiliated by its inability to defend itself in WWII, and largely unable to move past that humiliation. They seem to be desperately seeking military victories, as its the one thing that they don't have in abundance. Celebrating some kind of big victory in (preferably) recent history is a part of many nations' cultural heritage, whether that victory involves pushing out a colonial overlord, or playing a major part in the victory of a world war or regional conflict. China has had few significant military victories since the communists took over. Now that they are a world economic power, this bothers them, and they are looking for a fight that they can win. Unfortunately, their ego grows with their ambitions, and they start to think they could defeat an opponent like the United States.

Another aspect is the need of an un-elected government to divert the attention of the citizenry when the economy goes bad. A foreign enemy accomplishes this better than most domestic programs could ever hope to. Iran does this all the time with their "Death to America" speeches. China has to be more subtle, as they are less isolated than Iran.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    China's dispute with India may push India to become closer to the U.S., as well as Australia and Japan. There is a coalition of countries looking to contain China, especially since China claimed large parts of the South China Sea.

China border dispute may push India closer to some of Beijing's top rivals - CNN

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump will try to cut a deal. Xi will be the premier and Trump will be the president of the expanded People’s Republic of China.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Another interesting article on where the Chinese military gets its confidence and strategy doctrine from. They had some border battles with Vietnam in the late-1970's and early 1980's. They initially failed to defeat Vietnam in the 70's, using Korean War tactics, but then brought in some new leadership and tactics and had more success in the 1980's. I don't know why this success would convince them that taking on the U.S. might be a good idea, especially after all the U.S. military technology advances in the last 40 years.

The War That Made China's Army What It Is Today

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Some good information on China's Three Magic Weapons, according to Xi Jinping. Jinping considers the Three Weapons to be: the Communist Party, the United Front, and armed struggle. Most people know what the Communist Party is and what armed struggle is, but may not know about the United Front. The United Front is an arm of the Chinese government that sponsors Chinese cultural and education groups around the world. These are the same Chinese that are being caught stealing U.S. military and technological secrets, and recruiting others to spy on their host countries. It turns out they do more than spying. When the coronavirus was first identified, and the Chinese knew how dangerous it was (but did not tell anyone), the United Front in Canada was very busy buying up all the masks and other medical supplies and sending them back to China. It was probably doing the same in every free country that had medical supplies on the open market.

China's growing belligerence

Some interesting news: European countries expect China to surpass the U.S. (economically, technically, and militarily) within a generation or two.

Trump's stupidity is also considered an advantage to China, who fully support his re-election. His shallow, dimwitted tweets reveal his simple-minded thinking to China, making it much easier to negotiate with the U.S.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    They (may ) think we don't get along well enough to adequately respond to aggressive moves on their part but it would serve them well to look at our history more closely.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I’m a bit more cynical than you, probably more realistic, too. We, like the Chinese, are serving our business interests first. I’m fine with that. Indeed, our mutual business interests is what provides stability. Moreover, I’m sure the Chinese view their system as superior to ours, and they point to their 5,000 year history. As for our morality, I don’t know that it’s superior to China’s. We’ve done a lot of good, but we’ve done some pretty horrible things, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't see how you can compare how we treat other countries in the South China Sea (providing them with safe and secure passage to send goods all over the world, and allowing them to fish in their own waters) to the way China treats other countries (ramming their fishing vessels, keeping them out of international waters, building reef islands into military bases, violating other countries' air space, etc.). The U.S. has not been perfect, but it has been far better than China.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I’m talking historically. There are scores of examples beginning with the extermination of the native Americans and enslavement of Africans because (a) we thought we were superior and (b) for economic reasons. My point: don’t demonize others; seek common ground and peace. I love my country, but have no illusions about its virtue.

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    "Nanjing Army Command Academy in 2006, describes the "Strong Enemy's" strategy as "provocative, offensive, and expansionistic in nature." It states that America "ignores the rules of international relations...using gunboat diplomacy and relying on its own military power to serve as the world policeman, making up all kinds of rationales and excuses to push forward its hegemonic power politics all over the world." [3]

The book goes one to assert that the American military's wartime target list includes China's major cities, nuclear power plants, chemical plants, and dams, targets which would cause mass civilian casualties and wreck havoc across Chinese society"

They aren't wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd like to think the last 30-50 years are more relevant. They tell you a lot more about where a country is going, rather than where it's been. China is a very different country than it was before 1911, and the U.S. is very different than what it was in the 1800's. I am not looking to demonize China. I just think it is important to recognize that western civilization is not compatible with the Chinese way of doing things. The Chinese people are generally good people, but their leaders are like Trump: willing to lie, cheat and steal to win. We don't have these problems with European countries, or Japan or South Korea or Singapore. We would be perfectly happy to allow China to compete economically with the rest of the world, and probably even look the other way with a lot of their technology theft. When they start claiming land and ocean that they have no right to, we have to find a way to stop it. When they start stealing our military secrets, we have to stop it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. FeeBart

FeeBart VIP Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Us striking China with the current trade, manufacturing and stolen technological Advantage would be the height of stupidity.