Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How can Florida football program address declining attendance? (Dooley's Pod Cast)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DBCooper, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Generation i - I like that

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Apparently.

It looks to me like he is saying we could have had a bunch of transfers when Mullen took over if the hardship waiver was in effect then. If that's not his point, you're correct, I'm totally missing it.

3. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Win

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I do not concur

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’ll let him answer - but the point I came away with is that if getting a hardship transfer was as easy 2 years ago as it’s heading now, Coach Dan Mullen and staff likely wouldn’t have even had a complete team to work with when they came in.

Granting all these kids freedom to go wherever they want, whenever they want, may well kill this sport. The NCAA is treading on dangerous ground here and they’d better get their sh!t together fast

6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    a 90,000 seat safe space....

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I’m so lost

8. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm on UF's Fan Advisory Council and this is a discussion we have been having. We are trying to figure out ways to address this. It isn't just the students. There are too many non-students (alumni, casual fans, etc.) who will openly tell you that they would rather watch the games on a big screen in their house than travel to the stadium. The mentality among many fans, students and non-students, is that the trip to the stadium is too much of a hassle. Multiple generations don't have a tolerance for the effort it takes to actually be there anymore, and it is impacting many schools and sports.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
  9. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    For the students, I would put in some kind of burden to get tickets.

Make them first come first served so that people have to camp out in line for 3 days for a chance for tickets.

That way you pre-test who is actually invested in going to the games and it isn't just some luck of the lottery type system where people put there name in the hat.

Other than that, just start winning more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    ticket prices

terrible stadium wifi

no on campus alcohol

too many home against against crappy FBS and FCS opponents (next years 2020 home games are against Eastern Washington, South Alabama, and New Mexico State....seriously????)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You want to know why there are so many empty BLOCS in the east stands? Those are student organizations - mostly Greek. Most regular students attend, but the glaring holes in the east stands are because the organizations do not deem the game "big" enough to attend

This is also not strictly a youth/millenial/Z issue. I've spoken with numerous (relatively) older Gators who have put the work in to have a nice home setup to crack open a cold one with the guys on Saturdays. The mitigating factor is that west stand seatings you can typically find replacements to fill the seats.

Reform how the organizations receive tickets (I cannot reiterate enough that I'm glaring at you, Greek orgs) who leave huge voids in the east stands and you may fill more seats. But that likely will not happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    How can lame, meandering Dooley podcast address declining hits?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Where did you get lost? You’ve posted a couple of “agrees” up to this point

14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    More room for us to spread out at the games. Doesn't bother me a bit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    He said the -8 spread for the Miami game was too high ...and was more of a pick’m game.:eek:
    What a goof. I don’t think there is another local beat writer who tries so hard to come across as a non-homer anywhere else in the country.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, winning is the first and foremost way to improve attendance, but there are three other very important variables to consider as well...

1) Stop raising ticket prices so often. UF killed itself during it's down years with TOG and McElwain, raising prices to compensate for the people they weren't putting in the stands because they were sick of the crappy product on the field.

2) Getting together with local merchants (hotels, merch dealers, etc.), and encouraging them to stop jacking up prices so high for visiting fans. Find a happy medium and stay there for a while. And,

3) Scheduling. Listen, say what you will, but noon games aren't going to attract the fans like 3:30 and 7:00 o'clock games will. Start getting aggressive when making t.v. contracts and protecting UF's intrests more than just being concerned about a bottom line.

All that said, WINNING makes all those factors above a lot more tolerable and manageable. I suspect we're going to see some of the best attendance numbers we've seen in a long time this up-coming season. Coming in after huge blow-out wins over fsu in Doak and over Michigan in the Peach Bowl and a 10 win season, and add to that a top 10 recruiting class and a great home schedule with UT, AU, and fsu coming to town.... I think fan attendance will be a LOT better this year.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    To those people, I would simply say, "You don't know what you're missing." We'd love to have 'em, but, if not, we'll have a blast in the Swamp without 'em.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    1- The bench seats are too narrow and uncomfortable. Have individual comfy seats which reduces size from say 90,000 to maybe 70-75,000.

2- Treat long time season ticket holders far better. The point system ticked off too many including me. I had my UF-Uga game tickets move from 35 yard line, then upgrade to new Jax stadium, to end zone then to upper end zone. Forget it, I'll buy club seats on Stubhub etc.

3- Better access / parking from I-75 to game. The cops dont seem to know how to get people in and out.

4- Better food and beverages in stadium.

5- No noon kickoffs in heat.

6- It may be better to schedule non-conference games with the likes of scum, fau, fiu, usf, ucf, Valdosta state, even Naia or others in state than bringing in Col State who brings no fans. If the so called cup cake is nearby they will bring lots of fans, which is good for all.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Agree but here is how I break it down. Originally athletic scholarships were given to students who largely had little thought of being a pro athlete (pro sports did not pay that well for the most part except to superstars until the 70s and TV). College students might get paid under the table but the TV/bowl money in the system did not drive schools, coaches and conference behavior. College football was largely a true amateur sport and the kids went to a school, not an NFL preparatory conference.

Today we see youth sports focusing on making the pros for 8th graders. There are handlers feeding on high school kids. Colleges, conferences and coaches make millions off of college football. Coaches recruit by pointing to players they send to the NFL.

What has changed for the players though? Well, they still get only a 1 year scholarship, food, board and training. The apartments are nicer and the study hall may have a waterfall out front, but except for "nicer stuff they can use for a few years" the players have been passed over with the billion dollar windfalls.

The greed of conferences and the colleges turned this from a sport played by student athletes representing their school to a straight business decades ago. I felt awful when a great public university like UNC flatly sold their academic reputation for fake courses for basketball players. Given all this I can hardly blame players for this screwed up game. I agree Skink - it is being killed - but the knife was put in years ago by the people feeding on the sport (NCAA,conferences, schools and coaches).

What would I do? Kids can go straight to the pros and the NFL/NBA have developmental leagues. If you go to college it is 3 years before you can be drafted and if you transfer it is a 1 year sit out except for family hardship. Give kids a modest stipend - if they want more money then go pro (developmental). And, most importantly, eliminate the NCAA profiting from TV/game revenue and get them to enforce rules - the judge can't be paid depending on the success of the parties they are judging. Enforce the damn rules with complete investigative power and fairly draconian penalties, especially for academic fraud.

Angst over players transferring reminds me of Casablanca: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!" Croupier says "Your winnings sir."

• Like Like x 1
  20. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Dean was a true frosh playing opposite a first round draft choice

They gamed planned against inexperience and they basically threw everything at him

He made errors and had picks but he grew both ways and will be a leader this year

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1