Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How can Florida football program address declining attendance? (Dooley's Pod Cast)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DBCooper, Mar 11, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I remember Reggie ('F'n) Nelson having a similar prediliction :)
    that worked out pretty well for us Gator fans!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Why the hell wouldn't you have your shoes tied?

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Love this kid. He’s a straight baller.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I agree: baller = difference maker and he is a great fit

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Many kids thrown into that situation would have been overwhelmed. He completely embraced it, followed the older guys and coaches lead and is quickly becoming a force. What’s more, he appears humble. Great Gator.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This year's secondary is going to be very hard to throw on imo. It's good that the younger guys are playing against what might be the best receiving corps in the country every practice too, at least one of the top units.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    "1/3 of the world is covered in land. The other 2/3 are covered by RFN"!!!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I agree that Dean's gonna be a great one, but.....

Don't start putting ideas in his head about bolting early....social media does too much of that already.

I'm still of the old school of thought, where, if you chose to play football for a College, and in return, that college rewards you with a free education, hefty training table meals, a debit card stipend, great coaching and more, then, you've entered into a contract....
    You recieve a free four year degree plus the other stuff, and in return, you are expected to play the sport that earned you all of that, for a full four years in return.

Decades ago, that was the expected norm, and it should still ne that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    This defense is gonna be nasty. I like Dean at Star, Marco back, safeties a year better (experience and Savaged), and Burney replacing Vosean.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Unfortunately those days are gone thanks to the NFL and all those that have enabled them to throw ridiculous amounts of money around. Sad that nowadays a school is lucky to get 2 great productive years out of their best players due to the current climate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I completely agree. However that’s simply not the way it is.

12. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    The first thing that Coach John Wooden taught his players- How to tie your shoes.

‘Bill Walton related the shock that he and other new players felt when the first thing Wooden did was sit them down and teach them how to put on their shoes and socks. Doing this properly, Walton said, was the initial lesson for "everything we would need to know for the rest of our lives."’

Stories about Jabbar too on his first day tieing his shoes

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    At 6'3" a shade under 200, with his speed and coverage skills, barring a serious injury, he's a high first rounder in 2021. He won't need me or social media to tell him that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    You do know that they are not awarded 4 year scholarships right? They are 1 year and renewable at the schools option. There are plenty of stories of players getting processed, or worse, injured and processed. Moreover, even if they are not processed, what of the injuries and health care costs incurred from playing college football that players must pay for the rest of their lives. See 'I Trusted 'Em': When NCAA Schools Abandon Their Injured Athletes.

The coaches sign contracts and leave all the time and they make millions or tens of millions. Why do we expect more from the players - especially when schools severely limit the majors they can take b/c they "interfere" with sports.

Finally, I do not believe anybody can guarantee me that if somebody offered them millions of dollars to start work now - but that if they didn't sign now they might be injured and never get that job, and make 1/10,000 of the money doing a job they did not go to school for - that they would not think about taking the job. Going back for your senior year of college as a multimillion dollar young man would be pretty nice.... Anyway, you have a right to your opinion but if my family's livelihood depended on me, I'd damn sure take care of them.

I might agree with you if these guys were really student athletes and the whole thing had not been turned into a billion dollar business. But since it has the kids are just acting like the adults and going for the money.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Your last paragraph pretty much nailed it.... "STUDENT Athletes"
    Yeah, I know that the scholly's are 1 year at a time.:rolleyes:.... but, the original idea remains the same...

These kids are supposed to be working for a degree, something that they have to "fall back on", just in case they DON'T get the high-dollar NFL deals, or no deal at all!

Like I said at the beginning of my comment, this "concept" was frequently honored decades ago, when integrity actually meant something....
    Not like the pampered 16 and 17 year olds, who have so many people coming out of the woodwork, telling them that they are the Second Coming, and sadly, they bolt early with visions of 1st round $$$ dancing in their heads, only to see that they were lucky to be a 7th rounder, ending up on the practice squad.

Yeah, it's their decision to make... but too many of them made the wrong one.

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Most of these kids aren’t exactly getting engineering degrees. Many of their degrees are for the most part useless. If a kid can make an Nfl roster, he should make the move.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. WhattaGator

Agreed..... but right now, tell that to Jachai Polite, and so many that may end up in an even worse position than if they had just stayed in school for one more year.

18. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    You mean 21-22 year old men sometimes make stupid choices? Unbelievable!

19. WhattaGator

It's kinda hard to imagine that, huh?

But yet, with a whole bunch of "friends".... most of whom have actually come out of the woodwork , like cockroaches , to "suddenly" become that players long lost bestest friends , building and massaging the kid's ego, encouraging him to "Go Pro", because the long lost ego pumpers are gonna be the kid's new "Entourage", and these leeches are only there for his money. (Although the $$ just might not be quite enough to sprinkle bucks on "buddies" the player realizes he met at History 2 in 11th grade .

Go figure 0

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Pol
    Polite May drop some buthes about to make more money than I’ll ever make

• Agree Agree x 3