Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

House passes anti-lynching bill, headed to Oval Office

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Feb 27, 2020.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I doubt it.... the blue wave seems pretty motivated to take down Trump and the down ballot candidates will likely be affected.

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Believe he meant charged as such at the state level.

4. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe, but I have no problem piling on additional federal charges in the event of a lynching ....do you?

5. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I pray the DNC believes that. If Bernie is at the top of the ticket he’ll drive Independents away in droves.

6. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I wouldn't count out anyone who has the benifiit of running against Trump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree Bernie is poison and will almost certainly hurt down ticket, as evidenced by many down ticket Dems distancing.

Otherwise, back to the larger subject, law has more than literally coercive/deterrence/societal ordering effects. It also signals what society wishes to communicate, positively and negatively, beyond the literal effect of the law. Negative example - Citizens United had a fairly narrow holding but big money nevertheless multiplied because of the "message", i.e. that big money to influence elections is morally legitimate and should not be stigmatized.

This bill can have significant messaging/expressive effect, to societal good. Too much legitimization normatively of sentiments that are related.

Lest this seem like just my opinion, couldn't find anything succinct and directly on point, though I've read it many times over the years. But here's a piece that touches on a lot of the issues.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/fac...xpressive-Law-Law-and-Social-Inquiry-2017.pdf

8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I'd be against an anti lynching bill but now that McElwain is gone I guess it's OK.

9. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Easy to pass and Congress looks like they did something good (which it is) in a time when they can’t solve any of TODAY’S problems. Also, it’s hard to screw up or find a loop hole err uhm never mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I always thought a lynching was just another word for a hanging. Looked it up and found out it was a murder by a mob of people. Is that the legal definition under this new law?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Wait, were you the one making the phone calls?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I addressed that earlier. I actually think it should be federal in lieu of state charges. On principle, I don’t like state and federal governments getting two bites at the apple for the same crime. The feds should decide if they want to prosecute, and if they decide to defer to the state for whatever reason, then that should be it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Were it Muschamp of whom you speak, I would find no fault in your logic. McElwain I just wanted gone, not gone gone.

14. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I was vaguely against hate crimes becoming a thing. It felt like Orwellian thought crime to me. I kept quiet when I found myself on the same side as idiots flying the stars and bars. I personally believe that murder is wrong. I dont really care why someone did it. If there are extenuating circumstances wouldn't a competent judiciary handle it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida/North Carolina
    Doesn't sound like you're not against it. Some things make others happy and are a reminder about not repeating history. We are also regularly reminded of the Holocaust, and rightly so. Things like these bills just aren't worth getting snarky about. That's how I see it.

16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    The folks who bristle at these types of things are usually the types who don't like to be reminded of this country's ugly past.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Like I said, why now? Someone stands to gain something from it and it ain’t the citizen

18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes, the GOP controlled Senate is engaging in an elaborate conspiracy to make Trump look bad for vetoing something that has been seeking codification for ages. You figured it out. In fact, Emmitt Till was really murdered to make Trump look bad in 2020.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don’t know. I thought hiring Ron Zook as the HBC should have been a federal hate crime against UF. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Several reasons. In no particular order. One is symbolic. This was something that should have been passed a long time ago. Second, the growing threat of violent domestic extremism in which people are coordinating and influencing violence against individuals. This can make it easier to hold others in the group accountable when it occurs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1