Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

House passes anti-lynching bill, headed to Oval Office

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Feb 27, 2020.

1. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I would count James Lynch Jr. and Matthew Shepard as lynchings that happened since 1964. Probably just given a different designation but the result is the same.

The bigger question is why did Yoho, Gohmert, Massie, and (wtf?) Amash vote "no"?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Amash and Massie are classic libertarians. Yoho and Gohmert are themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  3. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Yoho said hate crimes should be handled at the state level. That worked well 1865-1965.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Could well be. But that would be on Trump, would it not?

5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you not consider what happened to Mathew Sheppard a lynching? He was taken to a remote area, beaten, and tied to a fence and left to die.

James Bird Jr. was dragged to death behind a pick up truck by a group of white supremacists....

Edit: I see someone already mentioned both.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 86_alum

86_alum Recruit

Feb 27, 2020
    This is a serious issue and must be solved immediately since this has not happened in 55+ years says Nancy!

7. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yes, all those recent lynchings are really driving up the price of rope.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    So you're good with us needing laws passed to make something illegal that's happened (if you stretch the definition) only twice in the last 20 years to only two individuals?

9. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is what happens at the tail end of Congresses that are about to flip to the other party. The current party controlling it goes full tard, slopping around in their more extremely held ideologies and up getting bounced in the next round.

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So a bill that passes unanimously in the Senate and 401-4 in the House represents an extremely held ideology?

11. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's a political fail for any Pub to vote against it, even on the grounds of it being ridiculous on its face. But most folks see through this and recognize it for what it is and that's it's politically motivated and has no real merit

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    First off, I don’t know that those were the only two cases in the last 20 years that could be considered a lynching ... those just the first two I recalled.

And Sure, it’s already illegal to kill people. This bill just ups the charges to also make it a federal hate crime, right? Seems like lynching should be something covered by hate crime laws... I’m surprised it not already.

13. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    So which party do think is going to get bounced? The Republican controlled Senate that voted for it unanimously or the Democrat controlled House that also voted for it nearly unanimously?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Alternatively, in this time of extreme polarization is it a bad thing to pass a law through Congress that will have broad bipartisan support? To show that we can still agree on some things?

15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Its the Scalia Shelby County argument - laws that are too popular with legislators are illegitimate and the courts have to step in. And we see how well that turned out. Still bizarre. And "most folks", i.e. the majority, have seen through ridiculousness of these laws for 150 years

16. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Weren't those already considered hate crimes and charged as such?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's my opinion the Dems will lose the house and it's almost a guarantee if Bernie's at the top of the ticket.

18. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have no issue with making lynching a federal crime, and the President should absolutely sign it. I have read the bill in question (which is pretty short and vague) and have two potential concerns.

First, I have no problem with the federal government taking jurisdiction of crimes such as these so long as they do it up front and not, say, after a state trial has failed to get the desired verdict. I understand that it isn't technically double jeopardy when the federal government takes a second bite at the apple but the effect and principle are the same. The government has virtually unlimited resources to go continuously after people, and no one should have to defend themselves a second time (even if the charges are worded differently for the same crime) after winning at one trial. If this bill goes into law and in the event of an alleged lynching, the federal government should have first right of refusal with prosecution, but if they defer to the state, then that should be a final decision.

Second, this law needs to protect all victims of racially-motivated violence equally. There can't be this fear of going after any group when they attack members of other races for reasons no more noble or excusable than the human refuse who murdered James Bird Jr. And no nonsense about the racial demographics of the country as a whole: when you are being beaten to death by a group of people who don't look like you for no better reason than what you look like, then in that time and place you are the minority in need of protection. When the federal government decides to take a case away from the state, it needs to make its decision strictly based on the likely motivation of the accused (which still must be proven in court), not the race of the victim.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    So we seem to have established that your views represent those of 4 out of 535 who would vote no. Is your's the misguided libertarian angle (Massie and Amash) or the dumbass "names fit their faces" angle (Yoho and Gohmert)?

20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Apparently not, because everything I’m reading on the topic says lynching is not a federal hate crime.