Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

House oversight committee gets to root of inflation... corporate greed.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Nov 7, 2022.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    House oversight committee gets to root of American's inflation problem... corporate greed. Here is 3 paragraphs from last week's release from the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy's staff analysis. It's about the most honest analysis of what is driving prices up in my opinion. We have a free market so over time these will bounce back from competition but most of the industries are very consolidated with high barriers of entry.

Subcommittee Analysis Reveals Excessive Corporate Price Hikes Have Hurt Consumers and Fueled Inflation, While Enriching Certain Companies

Certain corporations are using the cover of inflation to raise prices excessively, resulting in record profits and profit margins. Beginning in 2021, certain corporations began enjoying record profits and profit margins—and continue to do so today. The Subcommittee’s analysis of financial information from a sampling of the largest corporations in several industries shows massive increases in profits between 2019 and 2021:
    • Three of the five largest companies in the shipping industry saw profits rise by 29,965%;
    • The two largest public companies in the rental car industry enjoyed a profit increase of 597%;
    • Four of the largest public companies in the meat processing industry saw profits go up by 134%; and
    • Four of the ten largest public companies by market cap in the oil and gas industry had profits rise by 62%.

Over the same period, profit margins increased by 201% among the companies analyzed in the shipping industry, by 262% among the companies analyzed in the rental car industry, and by 53% among the companies analyzed in the meat processing industry.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    let's apply a bit of logic. corporate greed has existed since corps. have existed....

let me know if you need more hints

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Hurry Dems. While you still have the house, pass the Corporate Greed Reduction Act.

p.s. good lord

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    let's apply a bit of logic. corporate margin rates have existed since corps have existed. See? Another pointless point.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    YOU literally bolded this part. HA HA.

Certain corporations are using the cover of inflation to raise prices excessively, resulting in record profits and profit margins.

6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Im just not following. It's a simple report demonstrating that the industries with the heaviest cost increases are making record profits. Why? Because the corporations are using the cover of cost increases to pad their profits. Not illegal in any sense. Simply a market doing what a market does until competition and consumers react.

• Like Like x 1
  7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    title sez corp greed is the root cause of inf. Posted & bolded a statement that contradicts that. Another thing about that bolded statement is excessive price increases should lower, not raise margins. The meaning of excessive there needs to be motivated b/c it makes no economic sense.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    We should do everything possible to protect govt greed so corp greed doesn’t spin out of control.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I will acknowledge all of the above. And, will still respond by telling you that this is not a "them" problem, it is an "us" problem. I will bet that if people stop the absurd spending spree that so many have gone in the post-COVID Pause era, many of these issues would self-correct.

• Stop spending so much on non-necessities at the height of inflation - shipping costs go down.
    • Literally no one is being forced to rent a car right now unless it is on business travel - rental car fees go down.
    • This one appears tougher on the surface because we all have to eat, however, as we proved during the pandemic, much of the excess consumption comes through eating out. Stop going out to eat - food prices go down.
    • Stop buying SUVs and pick up trucks again. Use common sense in driving habbits and cut excessive driving - fuel prices will go down.
    Sure, all of that puts responsibility back on the consumer for eliminating excessive spending in the face of rising costs - but much easier to blame someone other than ourselves.

10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Rising prices will do what you just said and has been. Units have plummeted in all of the industries listed above. Shipping prices are plummeting now. Soon other industries will too. (Just a guess).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    This strikes me a sophistry.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    if you have a counter arg, make it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    It makes perfect sense to raise prices if people will pay anyway. The industries that were referred to in the OP are near monopolies so they have very little competitio. They also have responsibilities to their stockholders to maximize profits.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    There is something confusing here though. If this is only an issue of corporations raising prices to help their bottom line, why didn’t they do this years ago?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The OP made it. I think it's largely correct.

17. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    So according to this report the reason cooperations were not making record profits before is because they weren’t charging enough. I’m guessing none of them considered that. “Hey team , it’s 2014 and going to be a good year, we are going to simply
    raise our prices and increase profits. Sound good? no sir. You can’t do that, we have to await till later to hide those price increases ??” Is that the logic ? Talk about people not knowing civics…. The financial/ economic illiteracy of the claimed intellectual is staggering

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I am sure their prices have always been in a very tight range of the profit maximizing price. The notion that profit maximizing behavior is the cause of inflation is dumb. 1. why would firms have been non profit maximizers until now; 2. regardless, it is not a solution anyway unless people are proposing price controls. (well, that rocket would have worked if it weren't for gravity!!) If a firm can increase profit by raising prices, I think it is a pretty good bet that demand has increased &/or supply has decreased. pretty damn sure greed has remained constant. Lastly, the notion in the OP that prices & cost should move in lockstep is sadly dumb. My costs of performing my job have plummeted over the years & yet my salary keeps going up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Doc and I disagree often, but I think he has the right of it here. Corporations were chasing max profits long before inflation hit. Inflation isn't happening because of corporate profiteering, even if corporations unsurprisingly seek to maximize their profiteering while inflation is happening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Most of the time the public would punish them for openly raising prices, which is why we see a lot of packaging tricks to lower the amount of product sold at the same old pricepoint. In our current climate, companies can get away with raising prices by blaming inflation, and the public will accept it, even though the price increases are much greater than what would be predicted by current inflation rates.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1