Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Horford = Greatest NBA Gator?

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by tmape01, May 10, 2022.

1. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    With Horfy dominating the reigning Finals MVP Giannis and defending champion Bucks in a throwback performance - 30 points in the NBA Playoffs in his age-35 season - the question becomes:

Is Al Horford the Greatest NBA Gator Ever?

I guess Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem may have more rings, but Miami is and always will be Pat Riley's Team and Cach Spo also gets a ton of credit. Miami is more of a successful system and their parts are relatively interchangeable over the years, so both of those players have had their success come within a structured system and therefore their individual contribution to the success gets discounted a bit.

From the Late Billy Era, Corey Brewer and Bradley Beal both have had sustained careers and Beal is considered to be a top NBA star who deserves Max Contract $$, so by the Money Metric you could make an argument for Bradley Beal. However, Beal is 22-23 in the Playoffs in his career and the Wizards have not been able to sustain success under his watch thus far.

One could go back to Vernon Maxwell, who is probably the greatest Twitter author in NBA history (and everyone should Follow him on Twitter). Mad Max has two rings from Houston, but those both came during Michael Jordan Retirement Years and his contributions were somewhat overshadowed even during those championship seasons.

Diehard Gator fans like us tend to lump Al in with the other '04s, and I don't think that Big Al will get the credit he deserves until he retires in a few years. Al has played for so many Playoff teams, but has no Championship rings to show for it and that seems to be the only way NBA fans are able to process success. But it is becoming clear that Al Horford might be the Greatest NBA Gator ever as he guides Boston's damaged front line against the defending champs and even dominates the entire court like no 35+ year old in NBA Playoff History who isn't named LeBron Raymone James or Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

who did I miss, Gator HoopHeads?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Beal and Maxwell can drop 50 any night. JW most exciting player of my lifetime and got a lot of pub for a few years. He went to the perfect franchise. Miller, Haslem and Horford have had great success. Beal would be the top guy though if with the right franchise.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    I can't believe I forgot about JW, he is my avatar - shame on me.

Jason Williams running those Kings teams when they battled the Kobe & Shaq Lakers might be the best a Gator has ever played on the biggest NBA stage - other than some of the vintage Mad Max games.

Great pull

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Neal Walk.

You have a nice list of contemporary players - all in the game with three point shots.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    He was the greatest Gator player, but sadly not the greatest Gator in the NBA.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I can watch that over and over all day!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    David Lee had a nice career and got a ring. I always thought he played his heart out and loved his game. Great NBA Gator too IMHO.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. stirtloe

stirtloe Junior

Mar 15, 2010
    Thanks to the OP, but is is the only thread on NBA Gators right now? After Game 4, Finney-Smith with 24 points and Al Horford with 30 points? Damn, this board is nursing a hangover. The Gators are showing out! GO GATORS!!!

• Like Like x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    Big Dwayne had a long career and had to endure a moron like Don Devoe before entering the NBA. RIP
    Also, the great Neal Walk drafted right after Kareem Abdul Jabar. Played for a long time in the pros also unfortunately passed away too young.
    also if you are going to include Brewer or Parsons, don’t forget my man Noah!

Watching Al Horford get psyched up last night was a thing of beauty. It reminded me of his last game vs. LSU after Big Baby won SECPOTY, a complete joke!
    Horford dominated him that game. Loved it. I said back when he played for the Gators and it’s still true: “Nobody goes over the back on Al Horford for a rebound. They might try once but that’s it.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    So glad you started a thread on Big Al. What he's doing right now is incredible. He almost single-handedly led the Celtics to a victory in Game 3 and was amazing again in Game 4. He plays great defense too, always boxes is man out, etc. He ALMOST has me rooting for the Celtics, which is like saying he almost has me cheering for UK. I don't know if I'd say he's the best, but he's certainly top 3. Add in what he did for us at UF and he might be the best all-around Gator bball player of all time

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For careers so far I'd say Al over Bradley, but I think Bradley will overtake Al before all is said and done.

<joke>Is anyone going to nominate Cheeze?</joke>

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Yeah DFS was on fire last night. Always plays great defense too (unlike Luka)

• Like Like x 2
  14. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Walk was awesome at UF....20/game in pts and rbs. Avg in NBA, about 13/pt and 7-8 rb. Played maybe 9-10 yr. So, no he is not the best Gator NBA player when you compare him to Mad Max, Jason W, Parsons, Horford, Beal or Noah.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Neal Walk

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Neal Walk as a collegiate was the best ever UF player.

Neal had a decent NBA career, but I think that some other Gators had better ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Horford may have had the best overall career, but Jason Williams is much more recognized. As are Haslem and Miller. I think Beal will also get there, he just needs a better team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Beal already has more career points than Big Al.

for one season, Noah was the best in the NBA from UF. 2014 NBA Defensive Player of Year and All-NBA first team. How many Gators have been all-NBA first team or won Defensive or Offensive Player of the year?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I vote Al as best NBA Gator. I think he has added more to winning over more years than any other Gator and I don't think it's close. Whatever is the right advanced metric, he's gotta have a ton of years leading the NBA Gator pack.

• Like Like x 3
  20. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miller won Rookie of the Year.

• Like Like x 3