Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hong Kong Street Protests - China extradition

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Jun 10, 2019.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    This is not going to make the Chinese Communist Party officials happy:

This could get really bad, really fast. The Chinese leaders get completely insane about their sovereignty and will not tolerate any challenges to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    This isn't going to end good for the protestors. No longer separate, no longer equal. Taiwan must be worried in the long term.

China media says Hong Kong protesters are 'asking for self-destruction' as military assembles nearby

• Chinese propaganda outlets warned on Tuesday that protesters in Hong Kong are “asking for self-destruction,” as they released a video showing military vehicles amassing near the border of the city.
    • President Trump later tweeted that U.S. intelligence had informed him that Chinese troops were being moved to the Hong Kong border.
    • The city’s leader, Carrie Lam, told the press on Tuesday that “lawbreaking activities in the name of freedom” were damaging the rule of law and that the Asian financial hub’s recovery from anti-government protests could take a long time.
    Her comments came after Beijing said widespread anti-government protests in the semi-autonomous city showed “sprouts of terrorism,” and such violence must be severely punished, “without leniency, without mercy.”

3. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The Chinese government is starting to sound like it did in ‘88. They are going to overreact and it could cause some major upheavals.

I would start shorting some Chinese stock if able.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Begging for rights and freedom like America

Yet there are Americans that want our rights taken away or curtailed. We should be expanding our freedoms not restricting them.

(turn on the sound)

5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I dont know their control of information is almost absolute. I hope you are right but after Tiananmen allwentback to normal.

6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Not in Hong Kong and there weren’t satellite comm available in ‘88 in Tiananmen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    You dont think China can shut phone/internet down in Hong Kong like India did in Kashmir?

8. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I don’t think they can do it fast and completely enough for videos not to get out. In ‘88 everyone was not carrying around a video record in their pocket. Even if they shut the comms down, they are not going to be able to grab every phone from every witness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    It all depends on how far our technology masters have chased the money. If they can turn off Google as easily as I think they can, who knows how far it goes and I am an optimist.

10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    If this gets worse and China intervenes militarily, hard to envision how this wouldn't have a negative impact on world wide markets, not just China stocks. Hong Kong is a major economic center that would be shaken, at least in the short run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    So far, no pro democracy statements by POTUS about the Hong Kong or Russian protests. No surprise really.

12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So for once he isn't going in half cocked trying to inflame a situation and that's bad?
    Or do you believe he is anti democracy?

13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    No, it's a very good thing.

I think he's pro-Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    rick - completely agree. Frankly I expected the Chinese to make the move sooner regarding taking over Hong Kong.

Certainly no surprise given the pattern we are seeing from them.

The fact is China is moving on several fronts in that part of the world: Militarization of the S China Sea and that part of the pacific.

They are at odds with the Philippines, Vietnam
    and other countries over territorial disputes.

They are investing HEAVILY in Africa and the so called Silk Road initiative has HUGE implications for the economic and political power structures in that part of the world.

Sooo… Your right, why anyone is "surprised" by what is happening shouldn't be.

I agree with several posters that this will only turn out bad and become a bloodbath. (See Tiananmen Square)

I find it particularly appalling that the police / military are "shooting the eyes out" of protestors.

That what the Communist Chinese do, my way or the AK47 way.

Taiwan (Formosa) only exists because of the threat of direct American intervention.

Wonderful World right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It’s closer to China’s way or you get two in the back of the head and no one ever hears from you again and people know better than to ask.

In addition to what you point out, China will do business with anyone, no matter how bad their record. China’s big thing is they don’t question anyone’s sovereignty and they don’t tolerate anyone questioning theirs.

There is a great book about China called the 100 year plan and it talks about how China sees itself replacing the US as the World’s Great Power and they think they are close to achieving it but they have to keep the country together long enough to achieve it. They are terrified of a general uprising of the people that foreign governments might back, so they tend to overreact when they see a threat like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    He isn't pro-democracy. I don't know if he is anti-democracy, as that requires a level of theoretical thinking that I am not sure he is capable of displaying. Authoritarianism appeals to his instincts, which is all that matters to him. But he speaks more negatively of democratic countries and leaders than he does of non-democratic leaders, in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    He should stand up for democracy. For The protestors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Never have.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t care what your political persuasion this should be a saddening turn of events.

20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    One problem for China is as more if their population moves from poverty to more middle class they will want more. More of a say in things will be an issue. When you aren't spending all day working to survive you have more time to consider other issues.