Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Home game against the worst team in the conference

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Jan 5, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Let’s talk in June....

2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well, paint defense and rebounding is also a problem. Hayes is great at weakside help and timing for some block shots, not so great at man to man post D. Also not so great at rebounding (and he is the best we have, so some of our other guys I would dare are are abysmal rebounders). If Payne can upgrade our ability on the defensive boards, that is a plus. It's also not like we can be any WORSE at post up offense. Can't do worse than 0. The hope is (I think) that Payne turns into an elite Patrick Young style defender. Patrick Young wasn't a monster scorer on offense, but he commanded a double team whenever he got the ball in the paint. You see anybody double teaming our bigs in the paint while they are fumbling the ball around? Not sure what Payne's offensive skillset is, but the floor is low. Really low.

Problem is Payne is going to be a true freshmen next year. It might be a big ask for him to be "the guy". But who else is it going to be? That's why I kept hammering at us getting a big in 2018 class,but it never happened. I'm thrilled we got Payne, but I hope it isn't too little too late.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Stokes definitely has offensive skills and a nice touch. Problem is he is not in shape, and who knows if he will ever get in shape. I don't think the ACL injury can be an excuse for that anymore. He has zero lift right now, and a few times that has caused him to get blocked on a move that he probably would have scored on in high school.

I know we had this debate on here last year and pre-season this year, and some poster was arguing we had too much depth in the front-court. It was just mind boggling to me looking at our roster that any Gator fan was arguing we "didn't need" a big in 2018 class. Yes, we technically had 4 or 5 guys (down 1 after Johnson transfer), but ALL of them have major questions.... and basically NONE of them were 5's. Maybe Stokes, the rest of them are tweener 4's. Maybe if one of these guys offered some consistent offensive game we could get away with it, but we are throwing guys with limited offense AND that can't rebound. There are mid-majors with more front-court firepower than us.

Hell, Basset has really showed me something this year. That is a positive. But even with that, it still looks dire overall. We shall see when Omar Payne steps on campus what kind of impact he can have. He very well could be starting day 1, unless Stokes transforms his body and give us another viable option. I don't see another viable 5 on the roster at all. The 4 is not really settled either, on paper Stone looks like he should be a terrific stretch 4 with Basset starting to look like a fine backup but for whatever reason he just disappears way too often. We aren't getting starter production out of either the 4 or 5 positions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I don't know if anyone else posted it but Gak practiced today. Coach said he was overweight and out of shape but that's to be expected

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Interesting. Wonder if it’s at all possible to get him in game shape rather than use a redshirt year.

7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Good question. I'm guessing it's one of those wait and see things. I had not held out hope he would ever even practice again with the team

8. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Gak can't help this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    USCe just beat #14 Mississippi State...

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Cocks have stiffened in league play!
    Were they sandbagging in pre-conference play?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    If South Carolina keeps getting the benefit of the calls like they did against Florida, they are gonna be able to beat a lot of teams. But you have to give credit for some of that to Martin for working the refs as hard as he does. He got them to reverse a call in the Florida game from an intentional to just a normal personal foul. White should have objected and argued the reversal, maybe he did but if he did it didn’t show it on tv.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Damn, we are soft inside and can't finish worth a lick down low. Sure, officiating was poor, but the loss is on Coach, personnel decisions(Stokes) late cost UF the game, along with the pathetic finish and complete softness that the team showed down the stretch.

Hopefully our worst performance in a second half all year. Lot of games left.

13. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Sophomore

Aug 12, 2007
    The team has a bit of youth this season: lately, it seems that one can say this about Frank Martin's teams for the last 2-3 seasons. Martin had to dismiss almost the entire class that Silva was a part of, and then once players like Thornwell, Dozier, and Notice graduated or left early, he had to fill in gaps last season with grad. transfers.Those players he dismissed would've been juniors last season, and a big part of the team's leadership.

Those grad. transfers have now graduated, but then USC also lost promising PG Rak Felder to personal issues, and 3 other players transferred out that never truly adapted to Martin's teachings.

So this season they were relying heavily on upperclassmen Silva, Kotsar, and Gravett to anchor the team while freshmen Lawson, Bryant, Moss, Couisnard, Frink, and transfer Campbell acclimated themselves.

Well, Couisnard hasn't been eligible due to academic issues, and Moss and Frink have been mostly out with injuries. Also sophomore starter Justin Minaya has also missed a number of games.

Meanwhile, Silva and Kotsar were MIA during much of the early part of the season, so all this drama explains why the team came into SEC play with a 5-7 record. Lawson and Bryant have shown flashes of being future stars, and Moss and Frink - when they did play - didn't play like freshmen. Gravett, who has struggled for much of his time at USC, has been having his best year yet as a Gamecock. He's been about the only consistent producer all season for USC.

Over the past 6 games, the Gamecocks have gone 3-3 but won the last 3 games. During that stretch, Silva has averaged 16.2 ppg and 8.5 rpg, Kotsar - who missed 2 of those games with a concussion (more drama!) - averaged 13.0 ppg and 6.3 rpg, and Gravett averaged 13.0 ppg himself. This stretched includes gms versus Michigan, Virginia, Clemson, Florida, and Miss. State.

I think it's just a case of a fairly young group with some experienced leadership coming together and becoming a team. Martin's teams will always revolve around stout physical defense and rebounding, and that typically takes a little while for young players to adapt to. It will be interesting to see how the team finishes the rest of the season, once Minaya, Moss, and Frink return to add depth......

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    :emoji_thinking::emoji_flushed::emoji_astonished::emoji_scream:

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Too funny!
    Someone needs to use that quote as their signature!

• Like Like x 1
  16. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Ha...Feel free

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. hbgator

hbgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Martin is a good Coach, & Silva will be playing in the pro's later.

18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    From reading this thread and its title I want to know how we got to play a home game against ourselves.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    how can someone as thin as a toothpick be overweight?