Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Home game against the worst team in the conference

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Jan 5, 2019.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I wouldn't call Butler a top 25 team, but I get your point. The problem is that when you live by the 3 you die by the 3. We had the same number of fgs as South Carolina. They just made theirs with fewer attempts. No one on their team took half the number of 3s Locke did. Green light privileges should be given to him when he is 50% or better in the first half. He was there and then did not take another 3 point shot from the 8:44 mark on. Not surprisingly, South Carolina got right back in the game.

This is a coaching deficiency. I understand preserving]your best players when they get into foul trouble. But Noah did not commit his first foul until 14:53 left in the second half. Even though we expanded the lead without Locke scoring, we obviously did not do enough to win. Having him taking shots when we had a scoring advantage would have taken pressure off of him, and kept him in a good rhythm. Not having a hot shooting Locke continue to force the offensive surge upon South Carolina was yet another blunder in White's short but uneventful coaching career at Florida.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Matchup is a large part of the answer. Butler is a small team. . . we DOMINATED the glass. There is no Chris Silva on Butler.

Butler may be a "better" team than USC. . . but the gamecocks, especially Silva, would be a nightmare for the bulldogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

He strikes me as someone who just used the opportunity to get a free diploma, and major in something that will help his family owned business when he gets out. He obviously has absolutely no aspirations to play pro ball anywhere on this planet!!

White or any coach we ultimately end up with should take cognizance of the type of personnel that is being recruited. Players with genuine NBA aspirations play with a greater sense of hunger and desperation that people who know an 90,000 job is waiting for them once they get their undergrad degree. Stone plays like he knows that option is available to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I'd agree to the extent that Stone is way too passive for my liking.

I'm guessing it is not lost on you, though, that Stone was recruited by Billy.

5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

He played soft, dumb and out of control. He has a checked out "I have a future with or without basketball" mentality which is great for him. For once, I'd like him to consider the players on the team that do have hopes of playing professionally at one point. Not all of them have cushy jobs waiting for them when they get a degree they way it appears from his characteristic performance, Stone does.

6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I realize that. All the more reason why he is problematic. We by this stage in Stone's career could have counted on Billy recruiting a stretch four or traditional 4 who would have relegated Stone to the bench. White has either been unable to do so or unwilling to do so. Either way it is reflective of a coaching deficiency.

7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We had Chiozza who right now cancels out Nembhard. We had Koulechov who has been irreplaceable, and we had Hudson, who for all intents and purposes, might as well be off the team given the dearth in his productivity. Without the numbers from Koulechov and Hudson, this team cannot reach the heights it reached last year. Locke is not even performing on the level that Hudson did, although he has been a bright spot for the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

It has to be Stone because at least with Hudson we know that something is not clicking and we have seen him consistently carry the team. Stone has the talent to do in my opinion even more than Hudson did last year, but he is not cut of that cloth. He is a student athlete who probably has a 90K job waiting for him when he gets out of school.

9. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Your wording suggests it would be a recruiting deficiency. I would agree.
    As I have said in other threads, I think we are seeing the impact of White's first two recruiting cycles. . . which have yet (and maybe never will) pan out.
    White is a relationship recruiter... and has a reputation for tirelessly recruiting kids and their families over the course of years. Both Tre and Scottie pointed to it as a key reason for their decisions. Of course, that ability to work a kid and forge a relationship very early wasn't available when White first arrived. So, those classes were largely patchwork . . . and we are feeling the effects now, with limited contribution from older players.
    Thankfully, it very much seems that White is an excellent recruiter when he has the needed time. And so I would not expect us to have many other circumstances in which we are stuck with a player not producing as needed.

10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

There star player was out of the game for more than half of the first half and they cut into our lead without him. The diffference was in the passion of the coaches. Martin gets in the face of his players and demands their best. White uses pyschobabble that as we can all see is TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE.

11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That is an interesting perspective, and the verdict is still out on him as it relates to getting people to perform. I can honestly state that his freshmen this year are exceeding expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    White has put the offense in the hands of Nembhard. Nembhard has excellent vision of the court and passing ability but he isn’t a great shooter or very fast. A PG is supposed to direct the offense and Nembhard is not doing a great job of doing that. White rarely gets on Nembhard for any mistakes but has a much shorter leash for Hudson. Donovan was known to be the hardest on his PGs because he knew the position was critical to running his offense correctly. White honestly needs to hire someone that can teach offense and help him grow as a head coach. White is a super nice guy, seems to have great integrity, but he has a lot to learn about coaching a program this big and at this level. At this point, he’s in a bit over his head and the lack of recruiting bigs and his inefficiencies are showing up big time.

13. bababooey

bababooey Sophomore

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    It will be interesting watching people here defend Mike White if Gators finish under .500 in conference play.

It'll be year 8 and the narrative will somehow be that it's Billy's fault.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    You've got me curious. What is his family's business? I honestly have no idea what you're referring to.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    He hasn’t lacked for “recruiting bigs”. He has lacked for any amount of good fortune to have em healthy.
    He had had 5 front court players miss at least a full season with severe injury.
    FIVE!
    Hayes, who he inherited, has LITERALLY been White’s ONLY healthy center in four seasons. That is astounding.

And the injuries not only pulled these kids off the court, but entirely out of practice.

Develop bigs? Not even an opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    He knew last season the health issues of Stokes, etc. We brought in no bigs this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Again— recruiting high level players, especially bigs, is extremely competitive. And the battle is often won by the team with the best, long standing relationship. Sans the UK and Dukes of the world... few teams can simply swoop in and land an impact big.
    I think we will be in very good shape next year... so this is an unforseeable problem White has been dealt and one he will overcome.

18. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    It's concerning when you think about all the great stretch 4s that Donovan developed. I wonder how Stone would look today under the guidance of Donovan. I think White is terrific when developing guards, but I have no confidence in this staff's ability to develop post players. That includes Al Pinkins, whose resume of hopping to and from programs lately isn't at all impressive to me. When you saw our assistants during timeouts last night, they look as worried as our players. That sort of attitude reflects on the players. I'd grade our assistant coaches very low right now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    We have Payne coming in next season, a player known for defense. Tell me how this improves our offense because I don’t see it(in regards to bigs).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    100% agree with you. Payne is known as a defensive stud which will certainly help is he can rebound and play great interior defense. The question is where is the post offense coming from. Maybe it's too early to judge Stokes, but he's a big time project and hard to know what you'll get for him. Bassett is more of a stretch big and doesn't have a post presence.

I really think considering our returning freshman and stud guards coming in, we need a grad transfer big that can play down low. I know some will claim that this keeps our bigs from developing but IMO, can't let this talent coming in go to waste and I'm just not sure we can count on Stokes and Bassett .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1