Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Home game against the worst team in the conference

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Jan 5, 2019.

1. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    This was supposed to be our easiest game of the entire conference slate. Home game against a 5-7 team that hadn't won a road game in a year, and this is the performance we get? If we can't beat the worst team in the conference at home, what does that say about the rest of the season? I feel sick.

Edit: Just saw that S. Carolina hadn't won a road game since... beating us last year. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    Horrible officials didn't help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    officiating was horrible, but so was our offense down the stretch..

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I hate overreacting. Everyone did it after the Kentucky football game and look how that turned out. That said, this team is not going to the tournament folks. We may win 4 or 5 games in the SEC if we are lucky. White lets the refs kick us around and says and does nothing. We have three freshman on the floor in crunch time because our best shooter from last year can't hit a thing. We have Bassett shooting (and missing) free throws when it counts. Every game we have long droughts where we can't score a field goal. Every game. Can never put a team away (save Butler), even when at home and playing stellar D. It is a total mess.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I’m a Mike White fan and a sunshine pumper....but this was pretty near unforgivable.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    It wasn't just atrocious officiating, it was strategic. It literally took our entire front court out of the game. Silva almost had 20 points in the 2nd half alone, on FTs and layups. That was the ballgame (and yes our offense is terrible so doesn't help)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GratorGator

GratorGator All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Stop blaming the officials. If we had been coached up this game was over at halftime and no amount of potentially poor officiating would have changed it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Martin absolutely schooled White again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    How would you know? I thought you said you were turning off the game

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Officials do impact the game, like it or not. They literally took our entire front court out of the game. Look at our front court stat line vs theirs. Then look at the amount of FT attempts their front court players got vs ours. Still think they didn't completely change the fabric of the game?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Stone played soft per usual. Bad officiating doesn't excuse the fact that Stone only attempted two shots all night when we thought he was going to be one of the biggest offensive threats going into the season. 3 turnovers, 4 fouls. That was really the difference tonight.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well last year I thought we might fail to make the NIT after the Clemson loss, we ended up starting hot in SEC play and get semi comfortably into the NCAA's.

This could be another up or down year, but this loss feels even lower than last season and I'm not sure what our answer will be. I don't think we will have a losing overall record, but I don't see us much above .500 and middle of pack in SEC either.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007

To me, Stone has certainly been the most disappointing player.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yep, once again we basically got nothing from the 4/5 positions. Part of it is talent and individual effort (our guys are just not good individually or instinctively at rebounding), but on offense don't tell me they can't figure out how to use a stretch 4 that can hit 40% from 3's. That has to be on the coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Hudson for me...but there's plenty to go around

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Stone wasn't soft, he played dumb and out of control. Just was awful. Didn't give himself a chance tonight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Would we all agree Butler is a superior team to South Carolina? How, in one week, did we go from looking like Final Four material against a quality Butler team, to this stinker? Same players, same building, worse opponent. Just makes no sense. This team is so damn frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I love the Gators, but this team is really frustrating to watch. Thought Hudson played a little better tonight. Hayes and Stone cost this team the game. Stone had another no-show and Hayes had unusually stupid fouls. Forced inexperienced bigs or guards to play Silva and their bigs.

Refs were atrocious, but the game shouldn't have been close enough for them to matter. Awful offense in 2 separate stretches of the game. Thought the game was a must win. Not sure what to expect going forward, but it feels like it might be rough.

White HAS to get a grad transfer big for next year if this team is so going to be as good as we hope they will be. Kind of feels like we're playing for next year right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Prior to the Kentucky game we had no other indications that the Kentucky game was even possible. This year for Florida Basketball has been replete with underachievement, lack of emotion, lack of intensity, complacency with losing, and serious questions as to what actually goes on at practice. Why for instance is Okauru getting less playing time than Hudson? Why is Allen getting more time than Ballard? Why is Johnson not getting as much if not more time than Stone. All three of those players bring a level of passion and intensity that the players that are draining their time don't bring to the table.

I feel sorry for Hudson. I have tried to encourage him and support him through this, but we are now in conference play. I sincerely hope he has a solid major, because this year's season has been a crash and burn one for him and it is barely one third over. There is no way NO WAY you cannot tell me that we would not get more production out of Okauru right now. We would love for Hudson to be the star he was last year but let's face it- HE'S NOT!!!!!!!!! Time to move on and let someone who has the drive and determination to succeed and prove himself step up and do so.

You have summed up our dilemmas perfectly. I couldn't have summarized it better. I will go out on a limb and say we will win 7 games simply because White has too much talent to lose 12 games in this conference with 7 more at home. We will 4-5 games at home and perhaps 2 on the road UNLESS some spark ignites this team's competitive fire. Right now they are simply not competing when it matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The prestidigitation that has brought in talent from other programs is wearing thin. Having a Koulechev for such a limited period of time and Hudson not performing on the level he performed last year, are strong arguments that such moves hinder the program in reality more than they help the program. First it sends a clear message to the rest of the recruits- people he convinced to come here, that they are deficient and have fallen short of his expectations- so drastically so that we need the infusion of a quick fix. Secondly as with Hudson, it takes up a scholarship, that quite frankly right now is being wasted because this guy cannot figure it out. He got so gassed by trying to go pro, that he has forgotten the basics of the game, desire and passion which were so prevalent in his performance last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1