Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Home and Home With NC State!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jul 9, 2020.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Please, no more SEC teams. Takes seven years to play 'em all now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Can't wait for the once every 8 years visit to Kansas :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    We added Mizzou for academics, and as far as I can tell that is the only reason since their sports program is woeful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    UTex would be foolish to join the Pac 12 where they don't really care about football much at all and give away all that leverage they have over the Big 12. UTex to the Pac 12 helps the Pac12, but I can't see how it helps UTex at all. I can't see all the West coast teams giving UTex a special deal to join either. They missed the bus when they declined to join the SEC and now they are stuck.

5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Plus they would play half their games on Pacific time with some of those late night starts, which I don't think helps their brand

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would guess none of their opponents would be within a 1000 miles of Austin (maybe Phoenix). I know that fans don't travel with the team much anymore, but that distance would kill off most of what is left of that. This would also kill off all of their natural rivalries in Texas and perhaps the OU game too.

7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Seriously? Granted the Pac-12 isn't exactly football crazy, but a TV carriage deal for a conference that has a footprint of California, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and more than likely Oklahoma has a much bigger audience and value than the current Big-12 footprint of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas (plus unconnected Iowa and WV). Plus you would have a bigger national draw with teams like USC, Oregon, Washington and Texas than the current Big-12, which is effectively Texas and OU.

I can also see the Pac-12 schools giving Texas almost whatever they want because there is no real alternative for Pac-12 expansion than a deal with Texas and other Big-12 schools. There are no logical expansion candidates for the Pac-12 than to raid the Big-12.

I totally agree that they missed the boat with the SEC. Texas A&M outmaneuvered them bigtime!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    With a real TV deal, the Pac-12 could probably have a national game at noon PST (3pm EST), 3pm PST (6pm EST) and 7PM PST (10pm EST). Granted only a few select games would really compete against the SEC and Big-10 but I actually think adding a couple of Southwest teams would probably strengthen the conference national TV popularity.

9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    And to add a new TV footprint

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    So this guy goes into a bar in CA on a Fall Sat afternoon. Bar TV's playing re-runs of Entertainment Tonight or some such nonsense. Guy has to ask bartender if there is any college football that they can switch to. Bartender (male) replies "oh, yeah...I guess that's on now," and switches to the AU-UF game. Be me the only guy in the bar watching College football on a perfect Fall afternoon in Cali. The Pac-12 not being football crazy is an understatement.

If they were such a national draw (they aren't), they would already have a much better TV deal than they do now.
    I can see the rest of the Pac-12 being hard-headed and not letting UTex in with a special deal that gives them more $$ than they get now.

11. KronoGator

Apr 10, 2007
    I like the stories I've read that the big 12 might be proactive and raid the pac12 first.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Well, I think it’s a good idea when we are able to schedule a seldom played Home and Home out of SEC conference game.

13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

How many Gator fans will be there?

14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Hope you will see the return game in gville.
    You will only be 94

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Entire University system in NC asked to present budgets with 50% cuts in all areas including athletics...will there even be a team to play in a home-home series?

16. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Agree. I would watch.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

17. KronoGator

Apr 10, 2007
    Probably end up playing UNC or Duke after they sell NC State and East Carolina off to pay the bills.

• Funny Funny x 1