Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Home and Home With NC State!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jul 9, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

NC State cares way more about football than UNC and UVA, and football is the kingpin for any expansion.
    Heck, I am on record saying ECU is a better football fit then UNC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Are we having Western NC style or Eastern, because if its the latter, I'm going to have to bring a real BBQ sauce ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. tilly

Love Charleston. It is a bigger version of Wilmington. Although Wilmington metro is catching up.
    Both have a great riverfront, great downtown, great history, great beaches and amazing food.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

WESTERN! The eastern stuff just makes the meat soggy. Thank God Publix is here now with real bbq sauces.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Thanks goodness, I don't mind the somewhat runny, vinegary peppery stuff, but it at least has to have some tomato-based backbone IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC

If you want real local craft brew in Brevard, go to Brevard Brewing in downtown Brevard.
    This is where the locals go.
    My son-in-law owns it and brews everything right on site there in Brevard. (That's the something nice about NC.)

Hopefully my grandson and I will be in Raleigh in 2026, we win, and then he becomes a Gator for life!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dinogator

Dinogator Freshman

Jun 26, 2010
    Just checked out their website. The Munich Dunkel sounds interesting and is rare for a micro to produce as a standard menu item. I'm heading through western Carolina in October. Might have to stop in for a pint or three.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    Sure. There are a lot of good “football fits” when it comes to potential conference expansion. But football fit and how much a school/fanbase cares about football won’t even be close to the determining factor when it comes to expansion- things like access to TV markets ($$$), academics (AAU membership), alumni networks, etc are of more importance.

The SEC would entertain expansion for schools like Texas (never gonna happen), Oklahoma (not likely), Notre Dame (yeah right), UNC, UVA, some others. NC State is akin to the Texas Techs, Oklahoma States, and Kansas States of the world... no conference would make them a priority for expansion. They bring to the table a bit of what matters (see above), but not even close to the same scale as the “dream” schools. SEC ain’t gonna expand just to expand.

9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    It's a deal!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Actually, NC State fits in better with the SEC than UNC and UVa. It is larger, more football oriented and would be the fifth highest ranked (by US News) university behind Vandy, UF, uga and aTm only. Their engineering college is ranked 24th nationally (UF's is #46).

UNC is ranked higher and is a blue blood, but they are to the ACC somewhat like what Texas is to the Big 12. They are used to getting their way and they have an arrogance such that they would not fit in with the SEC at all. They look down their noses at the SEC. They think they're better than us in every way. State would be a far better fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    I agree they are a better fit when it comes to football. I’d trade away Missouri tomorrow for NC State, if that were somehow possible. I’m just saying there’s zero chance that the SEC is going to expand just to get NC State. It’s a pipe dream. They just don’t move the needle enough. The SEC would indeed expand, if the environment were right, to get those top tier schools I mentioned, to include UNC. But those schools don’t want to migrate to the SEC, so it’s a moot point.

Anyway, it’s a great non-conference matchup for us that’s way overdue.

12. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    As the former ApexGator, I approve. 20 minutes to the stadium.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tilly

It's a bigger school then UNC and would become one of the few SEC schools in a major TV market, plus it would pull Charlotte and Greensboro/Winston-Salem as well.

North Carolina is also a high school football hotbed. If State keeps those kids home to play in the SEC you could be looking at a sleeping giant, not to mention an advantage for SEC East schools that would play here every other season.

State has a solid game day atmosphere, way better than a Vandy or a Mizzou.

They have finished top 25 in the Directors Cup the past 3 years, (Top 15 twice) though this season was incomplete.

Very nice football facility for an ACC school.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    If and when the SEC expands again, and I think it will, it's not going to be a deal where the SEC decides to expand and then tries to figure out what 2 schools it wants.

I believe the more likely scenario is a situation like Texas A&M where a school approached the SEC that is just too good to pass up. I totally agree that a school like NCSU is not going to be a school that the SEC decides to expand for.

I believe the next round of P5 expansion will come from the Pac-12 trying to add 2-4 teams. The Pac-12 has no viable alternatives other than to raid the Big-12 for a Texas school. The most likely scenario in my opinion is the Pac-12 and Texas started to talk again and I believe OU would at least want to talk to the SEC.

OU is the type of school the SEC would expand immediately for. In that scenario, I could see UNC or NCSU being the SEC's most logical option to get to 16. NC is the most logical state for the SEC footprint. I think UNC would be the SEC's preference, but I think UNC and UVA would likely be the Big-10's targets, so I'm not sure I see that happening.

I could totally see NCSU being the SEC's #16 team, but only in that situation where there's a home run addition, like OU, that creates a need for #16.

15. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    OU isn't going anywhere without OK ST.

16. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Sure they could. So long as OU ensures that Okey State is left in a good competitive situation, they won't have a problem splitting with them.

Chances are Okey State would still be very attractive to the Pac-12, so long as Texas is part of the deal. Maybe getting to 12 with Texas Tech and Kansas. In that scenario, I don't think Okay State would fight OU going elsewhere. Now if OU and Texas left the Big-12, I don't think Okey State would be okay with being left behind in the Big-12.

I'm not suggesting that I think it's a given that OU will end up in the SEC. Texas and OU will both have a lot of interest from both the Pac-12 and Big-10 too. I was just throwing out what I think is maybe the one realistic scenario where NSCU could end up in the SEC.

17. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    Completely agree. That was my point- NC State is a Tier 2 school when it comes to expansion. Their best bet to get into the SEC would be as a political “package deal” with a Tier 1 (UNC) or as a late addition to get to a round number.

I think the next round of expansion centers on what OU does going forward. The Big 12 TV contract is garbage, although they do get more TV money than anyone in the conference not named Texas. The only conference with a worse TV deal is the laughable PAC 12. At what point does OU look at the Big 10 and SEC TV money and finally decide to remove themselves from UT’s shadow?

A bidding war for OU between the Big 10 and SEC would be interesting. Neither wants little brother Okie Lite. Okie Lite doesn’t want to get left behind. What does Texas do if OU calls their bluff? Texas really likes the Big 12 as is... they play the vast majority of their games inside the state, only making annoying trips to Morgantown, Manhattan, and Ames, etc every other year. They have their own ESPN network (giant money loser for ESPN), the conference does what they tell it to do. Texas wants nothing to do with trips to Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens every year or so, nor let the hated Aggies think that they’re following in their footsteps. Likewise, they don’t want to travel to Ann Arbor, Columbus, Happy Valley. They definitely don’t want to have to give up the Longhorn Network. No way the Big 10 or SEC lets them keep their own.

So Texas either stays behind in an even more watered down Big 12 as they add someone like Air Force to replace OU, and potentially Kansas. The rest of the little sisters of the poor that make up the Big 12 are screwed. Texas to the PAC could be an option... the PAC might just be desperate enough to let UT in while also letting them keep the LHN. But the academic types at Stanford, Cal, UCLA, etc would laugh at UT bringing an Okie Lite or Texas Tech with them. They aren’t THAT desperate.

Or, COVID leads to the bankruptcy of multiple schools, and all bets are off.

18. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    So if the SEC went with OU, it would have zero to do with academics. Adding OU might pull the SEC's academics down...something that's not easy to do.

19. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    OU has a lot of appeal amongst the people that make these types of decisions. That’s pretty obvious- they are a Tier 1 expansion candidate. No conference would be adding OU solely on academics.

20. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    They won't be a package deal with UNC. SEC won't want UNC and NCSU. OU and UNC, in my opinion, outside of maybe Notre Dame (which isn't happening), are the 2 schools that I think could push the SEC to expand. Texas may be another that fits the bill, but A&M would fight it and I don't think the SEC would be all that interested in a school that is as self-serving as Texas. So realistically it's probably just OU and UNC.

But if it was somehow UNC, I suspect the SEC would look more to a program like VT as the second school than a second school in NC.

I think it hinges more on Texas, just like it has in the past 2 rounds. The Pac-12 really needs Texas badly and they really have no alternative to Texas. Both the Pac-12 and Texas want it and it would have happened already if it weren't for the LHN.

Big-10 would probably like to have Texas as well, but the Pac-12 MUST have Texas. In my opinion they will give Texas whatever they want to make it happen.

And then as you say, it becomes OU's decision. I'm not sure the SEC or Big-10 are really going to do much negotiating. I don't really think they'll have to.

And I don't think either conference would take Okey State. That package deal would likely be a deal breaker. The Pac-12 is probably the only alternative to keeping OU and Okay State together. I think Okay State probably fits best with Texas as part of the Pac-12 anyway.

As far as what Texas does, I think the Pac-12 is the only real suitor, largely because the Pac-12 is the only conference who's weak TV deal might allow Texas to have some real negotiating leverage.

But I don't believe Texas likes the current Big-12 at all!! If the LHN wasn't a total failure, it might, but at this point, they've effectively been passed up in popularity and exposure by Texas A&M. Add to that that ESPN pays Texas about $15 million per year for LHN and carriage is very limited, even in Texas. Every SEC school get almost 3 times that amount annually. I think Texas might like to kill LHN now as well.

What's different now is that I think ESPN would gladly rework a deal to kill LHN and roll it into the Pac-12 Network, even if they have to pay Texas to do it. Adding Texas would make the Pac-12 Network much more attractive and likely get carriage in the footprint states.

That's my opinion.