Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Home-and-Home Series

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by g8wayg8r, Jul 24, 2021.

1. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Is the home-and-home conference series every season just tradition that can't stand up to the test of times or is it critical to determining a true on-court champion for seeding and ranking?

I've alway thought the home-and-home series distinguished basketball from football in a good way because it was less likely that strength of schedule in the conference determines outcome.
    With every expansion there a fewer home-and-home series so luck of the schedule draw becomes an unavoidable factor. Even with pods to accomodate TX and OK luck will play a greater part of the outcome based on the perennial strength of blue bloods and second tier teams in the pod. Clearly, this change is driven mostly for football. At least we may be playing every team during the season - or maybe not.

Hopefully it works out best for all how ever the schedule is structured.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, in the old days of the SEC, every team played every other team in a home-and-home. At the end, you couldn't really argue about the outcome of the regular season. Now the relative strength of each division changes year to year and the regular season champ is pretty much decided by scheduling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Maybe have to go back to east and west divisions for home and homes, and not have a “regular season” SEC champion? Just a regular season division champion, and tournament SEC champion.

Of course even under that scenario, it would require 21 games to play everyone at least once, so not entirely perfect either.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Too many teams now in the SEC for a home and home with every team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Hold onto your butts. Talk of yet another expansion is in the air.

6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Yeah and it looks like the SEC is adding two more teams in the near future.

7. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Nope. I put a block on all new expansion.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Hard to see home-and-home series continuing if there are additions. I love the fact that certain teams are played twice each year but, if football can tolerate the "well but they didn't have to play _____ team on the road..." arguments, then its hard to see this stopping such a change for basketball - where it ultimately matters less in the first place.

Texas would be a great addition to the league though. Beard will have them in a really good place consistently.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, but Mike White can't develop a league expansion. His leagues never get enough minutes or show improvement and then they leave.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am on the record that I would be fine with Mike White as the commissioner of the SEC.

• Funny Funny x 3