Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Holes not playing Duke on 12/5

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TJtheGator, Nov 29, 2020.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I was really confused. I have never defended the noles and was pretty sure I had not commented in this thread. I went baked and looked. You seem upset that I accidentally gave you a come on man? 1. It was meant to be a best post... which is right next to the come on man icon
    2. You call people out over a simple post rating? Really?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Seriously? Meyer engineered one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history at Bowling Green. They were 2-9 the year before he arrived and he had a 17-9 record at BGSU. Did the same at Utah taking a very mediocre program and going 10-2 in his first year and ended with a 22-2 record and left Utah as the #4 team in the country. Then did the same at UF taking a team that finished 7-5 in Zook's last season and turning them into national champs in just 2 seasons. Then won another national championship in his third season at OSU.

I'm not even sure how you can make any sort of argument that Meyer can't rebuild a program. If your argument is that none of those programs were "rock bottom", that may be true but top coaching candidates rarely take over a program that is truly "rock bottom".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That happens a lot - was just talking about it with another poster this morning. It seems logical to group positive responses together and negative responses together. The little icons are so small on a phone that I hit the wrong one often. It’s one thing to go for the green check and catch the trophy by mistake - wouldn’t send the wrong message. But right now, polar opposites like come on man, and best post ever are right next to each other.

This isn’t a lay awake at night level of concern, but a simple suggestion to avoid misunderstanding

FWIW....

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Wow

5. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Says it all that when its their turn to travel - they announce 6 days early. I gave them a little rope the first week against Clemson. I felt like Dabo was pissed off enough to know there was some smoke - but nobody could really prove there was fire. Then last week they did it AGAIN! After UVA traveled. AGAIN!!!! Here we are again week 3 when its their time to spend the money - and all of a sudden they are proactive.

If it has face paint and a red nose like a clown - has big floppy feet like a clown - and has a big top tent like a clown - Its F$U

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

To be honest, I don’t pay any attention to BGSU, so never looked at what he did there, or the level of talent he inherited. I do know he inherited Alex Smith at Utah. But in both cases, dominating in those lesser conferences is certainly within Meyer’s capabilities. However....,

Assessing the talent on the Gator team Meyer walked into simply by their record in 2004 is silly. He inherited Chris Leak. Zook had the roster stacked on both sides of the line - he was an awesome recruiter, just a lousy game day coach with a little off-field embarrassment thrown in. But Urbs strolled into a perfect situation in Gainesville. He came in with a hot record and cranked up the rah rah and recruiting and some cool stuff on special teams, and Mullen, Strong, Gonzales, and other squadron commanders - and Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, Jarvis Moss, and a host of other Gator legends (many of whom were recruited by Zook) did the rest. When they were gone, so was Urbs.

Contrast that with Saban - inherited a program that had been a mess for years. Built it from scratch, took it to the top, and kept it there for over a decade. How many coaches, coordinators, quarterbacks, RBs, WRs, etc have gone through his program over the past 13 years? And he hasn’t skipped a beat. No jumping ship to avoid rebuilding.

Urban isn’t the head coach Nick Saban is. Nobody is except maybe Dabo and.....Dan Mullen.....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Was saying the same thing when SWAC hired Norv. Much harder to build a program than to keep it going.

8. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    My bad, I can get animated at times. I apologize.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Alex Smith was NOTHING before Meyer arrived. He had passed for a total of 4 yards with 1 INT before Meyer arrived. He passed for almost 5,200 after Meyer arrived. Meyer made Alex Smith into what he was. He didn't inherit him.

And I'm sorry but I don't care what conference you're coaching, if you turn a losing program into a winner, you've accomplished something. That's how guys work their way up the coaching ladder.

I think you're really off here as well. Florida and Bama were both pretty loaded with talent when Meyer and Saban arrived. Both schools recruited quite well even in the lean years. Bama has ALWAYS had talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

In the prior 4 years prior to Saban, Shula was 26-23 at Bama (but they later vacated wins). Ron Zook was 23-14. Bama wasn't the Bama of the glory years but they weren't a bad team. You might recall that Meyer's lost 31-3 to Bama in his first year. But the culture at UF was a mess under Zook. I would actually say the jobs Meyer and Saban did in that era were fairly comparable. Saban just stuck with it and built a dynasty.

I know some people are still bitter with Meyer for leaving the way he did, but he is a much better program builder than you give him credit for, but we can agree that Saban is still the king.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    For all of Zook's recruiting prowess, he only had one really great class (2003). And of that class, only about nine players (not including the punter) actually stuck around long enough to get their championship ring for the 2006 season. Meyer booted 11 players from the team before he coached his first game at UF. While UF had some talent, many of the players did not want to let Zook go and refused to buy into what Meyer was selling. They continued to do things their way, so Meyer removed enough of them that the rest got the message. At one point, before Zook was fired, DE Ray MacDonald was considering transferring not for playing time, but a chance to improve as a player and win as a team--that's how bad morale was on the team. UF had lost all three bowl games under Zook, and never competed for an SEC championship after winning numerous championships in 12 years under Spurrier. The team was broken, and Meyer fixed it. It wasn't rock-bottom, dumpster fire broken like Muschamp and Mac left it, but it was broken nonetheless.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I agree with your overall argument but I'd argue it was his QB coach who made Alex Smith ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

First of all, Urban Meyer is not a quarterback coach. Never has been. Dan Mullen made Alex Smith, not Urban Meyer.

Alabama was in worse shape talent wise when Saban took over than UF was when Meyer took over.

When Mullen left UF at the end of the 2008 season, the creative play calling was over. Tim Tebow almost made it happen, but in the SEGGC Saban knew all he had to do was keep Tebow in front of them and the grand wizard Meyer had no answer for it.

My opinion has nothing to do with bitterness over Meyer leaving. I am actually one of the few on here who believe it’s time to turn the page and embrace Meyer. I think he regrets how he left UF, he’s been very supportive of UF since he left OSU, and we need to get over our resentment and embrace the guy.

But Meyer sucked without Dan Mullen. Watching this team in 2010 was........just awful. In contrast, Saban has had a lot of turnover in his two coordinators, and has kept his ship hard into the wind throughout all the changes. I don’t think the two are in the same league. I’m not sure anybody is in the same league with Saban. I’m no fan, but that guy is in a league of his own.....until we can change that.

We can agree to disagree. This is nothing personal. We just see it differently.

Go Gators

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I can agree with that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BGator

BGator Junior

Apr 30, 2007
    La'Damian Webb, sophomore running back for the noles, is the latest to quit on his teammates, his coaches, and his University - he has opted out. LOL!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    Grown men get bent about emojis all the time on here. It’s a thing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    This is wrong. You can’t give Zook an ounce of credit for Harvin and Tebow. Those guys were in Meyer’s 2nd class. They signed in Feb of ‘06 and Zook was fired in Oct of ‘04.

Caldwell, Nelson, Leak, Moss, Siler: Zook.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    What’s this grown men stuff. Maturity is usually left at the portal to a sports message board. That part of the charm of sports fanatics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    It’s still funny to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

No, you’re wrong. I never gave Zook credit for signing Tebow and Harvin. Where did you come up with that?

20. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Well his football team quit him first!

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1