Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Holes in Gator Recruiting?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Jan 6, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    National Championships. I get it. But after a decade of idiocracy, horseteeth, scandal and just plain suck, I just want some great high energy football and a winning attitude. That is what I’m seeing. A NC will come. For now, I’m in love with football again.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Sounds like your holes are full.

3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Agreed. I was searching wet work prices on Craigslist a few of them years during McElwain. It was painful to watch. I remember thinking we literally look like we hadn’t practiced we were so bad

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I know. Wins and losses come and go, but man, it’s great to have the energy back!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    They are! Ha!

6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    How do the trophy points and pos ratings given work on here.

7. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    Marcus Thomas a bust?

8. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Clowns?
    Clowns?!!
    Those are not even real clowns...
    They are pretenders!
    Those are what we call,
    "Fake Clowns"!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Only because he couldn't stay on the field. The guy was a monster for us when he played

10. swamp tang

swamp tang Freshman

Oct 13, 2017
    Exactly! Scoop (one of the greatest nicknames, mainly because he nicknamed his belly that) was clutch, but had some problems that hurt his availability (Dunlap-esque). Definitely not a bust though.

11. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Didn't realize he started as many games as he did(26) because of his last year where he was suspended then reinstated only to be suspended again. I had put him in the bust group because of behavior issues like badeaux and Davis but he did produce too much to really be considered a bust. Thankfully our other tackles stepped up in 2006. Crazy to think we did that to OSU without him

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember a time we had LBs but just not SEC size and durable. They were struggling a bit and the average was about 225lb. At least our roster today is made up of some guys mostly 240ish. I saw that even young Drew Chatfield is listed at 245. He's also listed as 6'. He must be stout. MLB?

OT but speaking of UF DL/DTs:
    Gerard Warren - Wikipedia
    Browns sign 1st-round pick Warren

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And we have some big bodies in this class. One or two switch sides of the ball and pan out and the numbers look pretty good.

14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Probably the most dominant high school lineman I have ever seen

15. royalewitcheesee

royalewitcheesee All American

Nov 20, 2016
    This best thing about this recruiting class is it is very balanced. We are not top heavy with a couple high 5 star guys and a plethora of 3 stars that Mac's classes consisted of, so if some of our guys don't pan out, we still have plenty of talent to fall back on.

Meyer had great recruiting classes, but a lot of those high guys either didn't pan out, had off the field issues, or both. Gary Brown, John Brown, Torrey Davis, John Brantley, Ronald Powell, Chris Dunkley, etc.

Muschamp had decent recruiting classes (mostly on D), but by the end of the year our teams were so banged up that it didn't matter. And we don't have to talk about him almost completely ignoring the OL.

Also, on the field success translates more to recruiting classes one year after rather than the same year. We should finish really good this year and be set up in excellent position for 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We lose exactly one Dt,Clark, this year

Zuniga moves inside in our pass rushing package

Younger guys putting on size

At safety we will have juniors with experience

I see a better D already

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Fleming Island
    Black and Hopper will start at safety. Both are very good, have played DB in HS and close well. One or both may grow into LB but that remains to be seen. I thought Marcel Harris would grow into a LB and it never happened. Plus, we're still recruiting Jay who may or may not flip. And Bubba Bolden "may" be a transfer candidate since he has some ties to Chris Steele. We will be fine a safety.

The biggest miss IMO is that we needed one more wide body on the DL. Smith Vilbert is planning on visiting and he is listed at 6-6 250 and was primarily focused on basketball until this year. So, he probably hasn't lifted weights a lot which tells me he may get a lot bigger.

18. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    As far as balance goes I am not crazy about how many OL we are taking now. I think that there are guys in 2020 that we could target and don't need all of these guys in the 2019 class and have other holes to fill in the class, and I am concerned about not getting a high profile safety in this class to this point unless Steele becomes a safety, which I doubt we will have the luxury of doing.

On the other hand I think that Mullen is doing an even better job than Macelwhine did at filling holes in the roster. I can remember Zook being one true frosh Marcus Thomas from having no DT rotation and using a walk on MLB against Vanderbilt. Muschamp would have had no OL if he had been allowed to continue coaching another year. We shouldn't forget that we would have no 2006 national championship if Meyer had not been able to get Ryan Smith to grad transfer from Utah to Florida for his senior year. At times our roster has been razor thin from having gaping holes, and I think Mullen is getting us on track, whether through recruiting or transfers.

19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Torrey Davis stopped an Oklahoma drive in red zone in National Championship game. Changed momentum of the game and helped win us a Natty!! Even though had drug issues and kicked off team thereafter, that huge tackle in the backfield eliminated him from the bust conversation

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Gatorjimmyjam. - he mentioned Torrey Davis in the very post I quoted. Learn to read

• Winner Winner x 1