Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Holding Off on

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 11, 2024.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grading the rooms. Too much potential movement in and out to do it right now. My question is will UF benifit from the Saban retirment? Anyways, the new hire could effect Bama and the team they hire for the new coach.I doubt we are done adding HS or portal guys, i just hope we are aggressive.

• Like x 12
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Thanks Candy, we always appreciate your insight. I can hold my horses knowing you are getting your info in order, but not hearing from you is worse than when my dad is pissed at me and gives me the silent treatment.
    signed,
    Your faithful court

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Thanks Candy, really appreciate your work and information from an out of state guy.

4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sounds like LSU, Ole Miss, Texas and perhaps FSU benefit based on what I’m hearing from kids. Perhaps even Auburn. I would say UGA benefits but they were already on top

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    In Alabama, their sisters get on top.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    @candymanfromgc
    Off topic but do you still think an OC hire is in the cards

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have my doubts,

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

NO - IMO Napier is not going to give up playcalling duties.
    My principle source: Shane Matthews Podcast.

Shane keeps repeating:
    "Offense was not UF's primary problem, look at the defense and special teams first."

IMO most of this "OC" talk is generated by the fan base, I see little movement in that direction
    by UF. We shall see but I think it's doubtful.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I disagree with Shane. While the offense was pretty good at scoring, that wasn’t the problem. The problem was disorganization at critical times and costly screw ups that likely could be avoided if Billy was able to focus on the bigger picture and let someone else focus on the detail. I say this as a Billy Napier supporter. As a leader, the times I struggled early in my career was when I tried to be the hero who saved everyone. As I gained experience I did much better because I made a strong management team and focused on leading instead of trying to be the expert and controller of everything.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thanks Murp. I won't disagree with you, yes UF scored some points but how many critical penalties or poor play calls cost the Gators a chance to win?
    Having said that I don't disagree with Shane that other areas need to be fixed even more.

All of which is a tough reminder as to just how far away UF is from where we want them to be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with your statement. However, I think he should have done this year 1 ... not year 3. Now the pitchforks are out and he needs to show significant improvement this year. Hiring an OC now could be a step back ... who can run Napier's offense better than Napier? I never bought into the Korn for OC rumor. That made no sense. But I really don't know who does make sense.

Maybe a better plan would be to groom someone on the staff to eventually take over play calling duties. Rob Sale has the title but I'm not sure he has any input on play calling. Russ Callaway (or someone else on the staff) could be placed in the booth to be Napier's eyes and be in a position to take over play calling in year 4 or 5.

Developing your managerial farm system is the key to long term success. This is what he is trying to do with all of those analysts. But now is seat is warm and the fans aren't happy...therefore, I think hiring an OC from the outside is too risky right now.

2 cents.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    who is still on the table from HS?

my understanding is that all of the assistant spots have been taken, so someone has to go to make a spot available. There was that possibility that AA would coach LBs as well as be the DC. Then again, no official word on the new guy, so maybe that's fouled up and AA takes on LB and we get an OC/QB coach (that can also coach STs).

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    If everyone on staff AND the team would execute really well everything would run smoother. Napier would look smarter. The reason Napier has too much on his plate is because of too many F ups. Especially defense.

Second year is supposed to be smoother but for many reasons we'll documented, and many probably not, it wasn't.

First year was year zero, 2nd year was year one, this year got to get shit straight, regardless of the schedule and record.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    That’s a tough question. All I could really say is that we don’t fully know what the impact was. Momentum changers aren’t in the score sheet, but it is a thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    It didn't work for Champ when he hired Roper to innovate his anemic offense, so maybe you are right.

16. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Excellent post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    THIS!!! We are always looking for a fall guy! Napier has had snafus, but, overwhelming, the issue on offense has been execution. Mertz was a surprise, the OL was the predominant issue! The defense was schizophrenic but the lack of execution on offense didn't help them. Special teams was a mess, and, yes, that falls on BN. With Mullens I lost hope, I am disappointed with what has transpired so far, but I don't fault Billy.
    No one had a problem with the playcalling in the Utah game in 2022, and I think the playcalling was pretty good in Columbia in 2023 (those games came to mind). So, I agree with you, the problem has been execution on offense and defense!!!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Execution is expected from upper classmen

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    BN has kids and a family. He also has 85 scholarship players, a 12 person staff, an army of support staff, boosters, fans and an administration to deal with. This seems a classic case of youthful confidence where one fails to understand that you must delegate with great guidelines and performance expectations. There are not enough hours in the day to be HBC, a dad, husband, OC and QB coach. The art of hiring well and molding your team of leaders is what needs to occur. Look at Saban - a brilliant football mind but the genius was his ability to empower staff, limit his obligations, and step in only to fix things or bring his mind to assist.

BN is paid +$7M. He is young but he has to get the CEO aspect down or this will be a failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I don't disagree with you, only I don't think he has been as bad as some seem to think. I really do agree with your points!

• Agree Agree x 1