Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hmmmmm

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swamp life, Oct 19, 2021.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You'd think a guy would up his game if he knew he was heading for the job market, not sit on his ass and coast like he was a fattened multi-millionaire already....oh wait...NM...

(....we rrreeeeaaalllyyyy need to look into these security rich, incentive poor compensation packages we give these coaches....).

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Hard to believe, sure--but I would damn sure like to believe it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stricklin's ass kicked to the curb--along with Grantham.

Both inherited sick set ups, and pissed them away.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Which is it?

None of knows what's going on, or TG is gone?

...and if you know that TG is gone, what's your basis?

(I ask, bc not gone after last year, kinda' puts me in a place of not believing it until I see it).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    It doesn’t pass the test…. Even if CDM was handcuffed from firing TG, CDM still could have taken duties away.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    That's very interesting. I realize you prefaced with "I think", so I take it you're reverse-engineering/conjecturing--but if there's something more to this, please do elaborate.

6. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Sophomore

Oct 15, 2021
    Not sure what to believe with this one. As presented, it doesn’t make much sense. A more likely scenario that would fit in to the narrative would be something along the lines of CDM and SS sat down at the end of the season and both are of the mind that TG is not the guy. However, remembering it is a COVID-impacted season, I could see the department losing upwards of $20M in lost ticket revenue alone. Add in the building of the new facilities, and money counts. Both CDM and SS probably look at the losses of some major talent, particularly on offense, and figure that this year will not be a year that they can compete for the SECC, so they just save a little and ride out TG’s deal rather than pay him and a new DC. CDM may not be entirely happy about it, but he goes along. That is a potential scenario I could see playing out, rather than SS telling CDM how its going to be. Regardless, TG needs to be gone by season’s end. And CDM still needs to play the best players, not the most experienced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Let's keep it civil.
    We can discuss this without insulting and attacking each other.
    T.G.
    (Not THAT T.G.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    Doesn't pass the sniff test. As others have said, there are way to neutralize TG without firing him and that hasn't been done. Also, Stricklin seems like he'd be more loyal to Mullen than that based on the circumstances of his hiring.

9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    If money counts, and SS knew we weren't going to compete this season for the SEC, why a 1.5 mil raise for Mullen?

10. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    I don’t think it’s made up out of whole cloth. Like most rumors it is a third or fourth hand distortion of an original conversation between Stricklin and Mullen on the state of the program and the various coaches.
    I’m sure Grantham’s name and salary did come up, just like every other assistant coach did. I suspect (don’t know) that the conversation at least explored Grantham’s performance as it relates to his salary and some version of “he’s not getting the job done, especially for what we are paying him” came up.
    It morphed from there to “Mullen wanted to can him, but Stricklin said no. Tommyvee is correct though, as long as the change is made, arguing about whether a rumor is true, or mostly true, or completely false is a waste of time, and I fully acknowledge that by posting this, I just participated in said waste of time, but hell I’ve obviously got nothing else to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

12. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Look. As long as Captain Throat Slash is gone soon, I can forgive everything up until this point and head into next season with renewed hope.
    Maybe Stricklin was being told from above. Maybe Mullen made a huge mistake ever hiring CTS in the first place.
    Whatever. Just put the guy on the next rocket to the moon and lets move forward.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. upstategator

upstategator GC Legend

Nov 1, 2017
    I don’t have any insight on this. Pure conjecture like you said. However if you listen to Gators breakdown this past week David actually discusses the same thing…full disclosure I already had this opinion before he said it on the podcast.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    . . . T.G. . . . :emoji_thinking:
    [​IMG]

I knew it!

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Swamp life -

Bad Gator!!! Stop banging on that HORNETS NEST............lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'm no insider, but I do remember some chatter on this board last winter/ spring.
    And that was that some higher ups at UF didn't like the mega $ spent on athletics, esp football.
    And so paying Grantham a buy-out to walk away wasn't a good look. Especially with the losses last year.

So the scenario makes sense- but I'm sure like most rumors there's some partial truth in it.
    For those who think CDM loves TG- remember the Kentucky game last year.
    CDM just lost it at TG in a very public way.

Agree with Tilly that getting rid of TG will go a long way.

• Like Like x 2
  19. army_gator03

army_gator03 GC Legend

Oct 5, 2019
    Could have been someone higher than SS making that call. But if this is true then at least we will be rid of Grantham. It could also explain why Dan hasn’t looked like he’s been enjoying his job lately.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I also heard (don’t know) that there was an additional amount on top of time remaining that he would be owed. Nevertheless, even if it’s $3-$4M, still chump change.

Beyond that, and has been pointed out on this thread, UF Admin has more than a little history of not feeding the beast WRT football. They have done dumber things than this in the past. Things that the schools that we want to be compared with would never do.