Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hillary: "I know they all look alike"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Nov 1, 2018.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    There is no war on drugs. There is a social problem in the USA that stupid people take drugs of which they have no idea what they contain and but definitiely knowing they will get addicted and then rather than face that situation choose to declare a "WAR" on drugs. Drugs are the perfect storm of wanting an escape and being trapped by the same but people still do them no matter how much education they have been provided.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    There is a double standard. The press and liberal groups do hold conservatives to higher standards then they do liberals. I remember NOW actually came out in favor of Bill Clinton when we found out he was a sexual predator.

Having said that Hillary made a joke. Jokes in my opinion should be protected speach.

4. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't know.
    We rail against racism on this board almost weekly. Little things like tweets, or off hand remarks are analyzed. Words like "dog whistle" are used when the racism isn't overt but may be an under current.

And yet here we are saying statements that have historically been considered racist are now ok because
    1. They are commonly used
    2. It was used in a joke.

I have my doubts. Is it only this phrase that gets a pass? Or insights person saying it.
    Anyone think that Cruz, Jeb Bush, Rick Scott or another white male politician on the conservative side of the aisle wood be given the same Leno?

I would also argue that it wasn't a joke. She wasn't telling game joke as a comedian would...and there is a difference. A comedian will often use Jones in a routine to point out and shed light on dark issues. It makes it less dark. (Not a dog whistle term there). What Hillary did was make an off hand comment in jest. She used it not to shed light on a problem or issue but to take the light off of her mistake. She literally used that phrase they all look alike to draw attention away from her faux pas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The key for me is that Hillary’s comment was intentionally evoking a racist perspective to poke fun of the host. The “I know” at the beginning makes that clear, as well as the surrounding context.

Desantis’ comment was unintentionally evoking a racist perspective. That means that it can’t be “meta”. It’s an accident. If it was intentional, it’s just racist.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    A lot of people would probably say that it’s inappropriate for him, but it’s clearly mocking the host. And that would be true even if Desantis said it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So angry this morning. You better hope he doesn't win

8. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    I know that liberals are demons, but conservatives sometimes apply their criticisms inconsistently as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Bottom line is, change out hillary with trump. End of the world as we know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Bottom line really is that the Trumpers are so desperate that they are trying to compare a single inappropriate attempt at humor by Clinton with a decades old history of racism by Trump which he displays multiple times virtually every day.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Does it count when according to one of her former aides, she angrily called him "you f**king Jew bastard?"

12. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Not angry. He has stuck his head up Trumps behind and has nothing to offer. If being a vet is so deserving to be elected then people haven't met the folks I served with. Oh my!
    And I feel good that he won't win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    According to a drugged out sister in law...I threw a Quran at the mother in law. It was a lie unless you believe I would have a mindset to do that. In other words...You really believe that?

14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That would count.

15. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    All of this.

16. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    If it was trump, that stupid joke is all you wold be hearing 24/7.

17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Correction, it was not her aide, it was Bill's campaign manager Paul Fray.

Hillary faces voters' wrath for alleged ethnic slur

Note also her hubby's remark that he has never, ever heard her tell a joke with an ethnic connotation. You know, something like "they all look alike."

18. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I went back and looked at the sequence of the whole thread and YOU were the first person to bring TRUMP into the conversation. So I think it's slightly disingenuous for you to blame the Trumpers here.

19. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    If trump lost and said this after sitting out most of the last 2 years not tweeting. No one would care.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not sure what you are trying to get at with the last statement. Hillary did not make the faux pas - the host did.

As I mentioned before, people who use this phrase in this context are actually mocking racism.

If we want to knock HRC on something, it is using that type of mocking sarcasm against a host who as far as we know just made a simple mistake (although the host took the sarcasm well). It is no surprise coming from Hillary - putting somebody else down to get a laugh fits right in with her personality. She doesn't care who she steps on. And I am fine with dinging HRC for going somewhere she shouldn't go given that remark she made about the Jewish staff member.

But mocking racism is not the same as making a racist comment. Never will be. And it is disingenuous of some posters here to equate the two things.

• Like Like x 2