Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

High School teacher bashes U S military ∙ "Lowest of our low."

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Not sure why you are quoting me.

I agree with you. But the question was posed as to why the American Soldier gets all this (supposedly unearned) respect and I only pointed out why. There are a lot of crappy teachers. I gave examples of ones I have had issues with. There are a lot of really great teachers. I gave examples of those too. There is no argument here.

2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I hate when people do that honestly. I always tell them "Thank you for making this country worth serving".

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    I don't understand why you're posting this, if you're taking the position that anecdotal evidence doesn't count for squat. Are you suggesting that we should regard your personal experience of not being disrespected as evidence that it never happened to anyone?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    That's a fair statement of your basis for your perspective, and I wouldn't doubt that it is representative of many, if not the majority, of VN vets' experience(s).

...but it doesn't serve to dismiss other legitimate grievances as mere 'myth.'

Perhaps we can agree that the truth lies somewhere between 'VN vets were mostly spat upon and disrespected', and 'VN vets were hardly ever spat upon and disrespected.'

5. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    Yeah, some time back I started feeling like, "Thank you for your service," was getting too hackneyed and cliched, so I switched to, "I appreciate the work you do." Which is exactly how I feel.

When I was in the military there weren't any conflicts going on, so people were polite but no one said, "Thank you for your service." Which was pretty short-sighted of people, considering that the very reason there weren't any conflicts going on was because I was in the military. ;) All hell broke loose after I ETS'ed and our enemies figured the coast was clear. :cool::p

• Funny Funny x 6
  6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I quoted your post b/c you started out with "NO" in quoting mine--which I took to mean that you disagreed with my post. So I figured elaboration was in order. I wasn't 'equating' the sacrifice or risk of the soldier to that of the teacher', but comparing them, to illustrate their congruity. They complement one another, they don't compete.

Conversely, to continue to engage in the false dichotomy set up by the stupid teacher in the OP, is to dignify the illusion that there is some kind of tension b/t American teachers and American soldiers. There simply isn't. It's just not 'a thing' at all.

I'm sure most soldiers know and appreciate many of their teachers....as I'm quite certain that most teachers know and appreciate many of their former students who went on to become soldiers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bye Bye Gregory Salcido.
    Instead of Standing and Delivering,
    this idiot whaled and bailed on kids.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    You do realize these aren’t binary options, right

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    You know it's going to happen. Somebody will invent a pilotless fighter jet that can maneuver at limits humans can't endure. Those things will start shooting down planes with pilots and then the other side will have to respond in kind. Pretty soon, no pilots.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You do realize that's my point, right?

11. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Amen, Tilly. Great post. This is exactly the point I'm making. I don't blame veterans for politicians putting them in unwinnable wars in Vietnam and the Middle East. Teachers don't deserve blame for politicians not giving them the tools they need to excel.

They don't have to be exactly the same for teachers to be entitled to more respect than they receive. Personally, I think we should appreciate any person who makes sacrifices to serve our country and communities. How about you?

12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Thank you for your service. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Veterans and active duty military are not the issue here. The real issue is a teacher who inappropriately used his bully pulpit to air his ideology in front of a captive audience. What if he had railed against gays? Same difference to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Just because you didn't have things happen doesn't mean other people didn't. I can see how many of the leaders were vets then due to having a draft at the time.

Hard core lefties aren't fooling most people as most despise the military and law enforcement in general I think. Their general way now to demean the military is to act like this leftist teacher and act like anyone in the military must be stupid etc. since its a voluntary force now. Heck Presidential candidate Kerry showed his true colors when he made those comments about getting stuck in the military if you don't study or whatever messed up crap it was he said exactly.

Heck I did 6 years in the Army myself and on a couple of occasions have spoken to someone at a bar who didn't know that and made similar type comments and I just told them my view on it real quick and mentioned joining the Army doing those 6 years and they usually got quiet about the subject real fast or tried to explain what they really meant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    From the comments, I don't know if anyone understood your point. The thread was about a teacher who is obviously off his rocker, doesn't seem to understand how be appropriate, and while given the honor of teaching kids, takes the opportunity to give them inaccurate information about the military. He doesn't really seem to understand basic physics.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like an odd time to bring up the point that teachers don't get enough respect, and the military gets too much respect.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    I'm just saying, take a break, eat a donut, take a deep breath or what ever, not every thing has to go back to Trump. It's coming off a little Ray Finkle blaming Dan Marino.
    Seething about Trump 24/7 is going to do something to your blood pressure.... you could even blow an O ring.

18. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    It's a great time for it because it's easy to contrast the two.

19. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 All American

Mar 6, 2009
    Same story here - my father often picked up the tab for soldiers/cops at restaurants. Dad had served in Air Force - never deployed overseas, fortunately. I started doing the same thing when I started making some of my own money. However, I don't reveal myself - I find a way to speak with the waitress and give her/him some cash to apply to the bill.

And, yes, I've even done this for teachers I know and see eating at a restaurant. It's just easier to identify soldiers/cops who are in uniform.

20. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    You contrast the two in an example where there is a teacher behaving badly? Do you ask your boss for a raise on the day you are late?