Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

High School/College Sports NIL discussion thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 24, 2021.

1. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I live multiple hours from Gainesville. So no, why would I be? Is this not their job? To be constantly searching for funds? Elite fundraisers?

Your comment is comical.

no, I don’t mean we. I’m not paying athletes, I can barely afford tickets to one game a year and 20$ beers. Spare me.

BUT. I would gladly round up to the nearest dollar at the local Publix if it helped…and I think thousands of other people would to. You know, the people who don’t have disposable income to throw at college kids, Mr deeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Somebody doesn’t seem to understand how the collective works....or is unbelievably hypocritical to complain about others efforts when unwilling to do what he expects from others

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Lmao. The collective says them selves the subscription model will not sustain them and will not yield the results everybody wants. The entire business model is a failure. Nobody is going to ever give enough to buy 5 stars consistently. They have to think of other ways to generate income…like the stuff I suggested.

Your smug attitude is hilarious, get off your high horse. By that same token I’m not allowed to complain about Napiers play calling because I can’t call plays better. Get out of here.

the point is you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see this isn’t working and won’t work, yet here you are acting like we all just need to give more so it can work. Are you donating? If so, how does it feel knowing you’re wasting your money, buying into a very flawed system?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    For starters, I don't complain about how others are using their own money/time/efforts.....that would be hypocritical if I weren't doing the same. My problem is you are essentially complaining about the results of people at least trying to have a positive impact when you aren't doing so yourself.

FYI...50k people giving $20/month is $12M annual. That absolutely moves the needle and should be pretty affordable for most fans. Ours simply aren't doing that. I am, despite having a strong dislike for the very "flawed system". There are schools with much smaller alumni/fanbase that have much larger memebership in their NIL organizations. Why does Ole Miss have double the membership of UF while UF has double the complainers? My hope would be there is some progress toward a viable long term solution, but in the interim doing what we can is necessary to keep UF in the game so to speak.

Ultimately either jump in and help the cause or quit complaining. If you don't like what they are doing you are more than welcome to join up and make positive contributions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I find your attitude is worthy of a eye roll and your position on NIL in as far as it pertains to atheletes that attend the University of Florida is just simply short sighted.

As a kid as far back as I can remember, I or my parents bought hats, tee-shirts, jackets, jerserys etc.... all with the registered trade marks for the University of Florida, which oddly enough is legally controlled by the University of Florida Athletic Association. Everytime I or my parents made a purchase of any of those items, the University of Florida Atheltic Association recieved a financial benefit from it. The University of Florida Atheltic Association owns legal rights to any number of emblematic symbols related to University of Florida, all of which it recieves financial benefit for as a "not for profit organization", which ultimately generates revenue in excess of 100 million dollars annually.

Now revenue generated via its legal trade marks obviously doesn't make up all of this annual revenue, but it none less repersents how some of that annual revenue is made regrdless. The Atheltic Association in its vision looking forward saw value in it, and is why it ultimately saw fit to secure trade marks rights to its emblematic symbols related to the University of Florida.

So you contribute $20.00 on a monthly basis to the collective, good for you! I hope you got a letter on the collective's official letter head, offering their appreciation for your contribution wothry of framing and hanging on your wall! That act however, doesn't reserve you a exclusive right to express your opinion on how the University of Florida goes about the work of securing the commitment of a footabll prospect, no more than it does for a major financial contributor to the University of Florida Atheltic Association in as far as having a opinion about the product that was seen on the field of play after a football game on any given Saturday during footballl season.

NIL in its current format is not financially viable long term, it also lacks any kind structure which will ensure its ability to operate in a manner similar to how the University of Florida Atheltic Association operates as a "Not for profit organization"" which generates again over a 100 million dollars annually. I'd rather contribute directly to one of our currents athletes marketing ventures, before I'd contribute to the collective in its current form at this point

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2024
  6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I'll double the eyeroll back.....your post has virtually nothing to do with what I said for starters. What the UAA has generated via merch is in no way relevant to the topic being discussed, not sure why the lengthy diatribe in that regard. It's not pertinent. The UAA and it's revenue is not part of NIL, why are you discussing in this thread?

As to the current situation....I ask nothing for what I contribute, which isn't the number discussed anyway. And FYI I have made no commentary regarding the viability of NIL in this thread, but have made multiple posts that IMO the current structure is not sustainable. The problem at hand is there is no obvious escape from the pandora's box that has opened.....you seem to suggesting you have a great grasp on the situation so why not share with us all the solution? Would love to hear your insights on how this can be resolved. Eyeroll conconcluded

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I think the alumni base for UF is different than a lot of the other traditional SEC schools. The money is there, but the priorities are a little different IMO. I donate, but I have a lot of professional colleagues/classmates that don’t. It is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The general opinion I get from other fanbases is The Gators Aumni have their noses too far in the air to care too much about football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    Probably a good amount, but it’s their money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I offered the collective the new born quadruplets as barter, but unfortunately they were "return to sender".

(My effort to lighten the mood).

• Like Like x 1
  12. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Offered my insights earlier in reply to this post, but moderators apparently felt it worthy of deletion (without any explanation)....so there you go.......... im done on this topic

13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure what you wrote so can't comment. But I will exit with this.....I know of no one that likes NIL or the current structure. UF's biggest booster and primary NIL source despises it. BUT, it is something of a necessary evil to survive as it stands now. I fully get those that don't want to give kids their hard earned money, but by any logic you then forfeit the right to complain about the lack of success of the collective. This is essentially a grassroots effort, it struggles or thrives basd upon our own effort and contribution.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    I'll add it's also little hard to convince people to open up their wallets considering the product on the field that last few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Awesome, except my initial comment that you had a problem with wasn’t just a complaint. It was also a few suggestions, ideas to make it better. So what are you even talking about? Do you have a problem with my suggestion? If so, what?

And again, FL victorious themselves had said the subscription method isn’t sustainable. Are you saying you know more than them and all we have to do is *just* 50k people to go to one less game a year and put that money towards FL victorious? Bold move, good luck with that.

also, lol at the irony of telling me people complaining doesn’t work while the entire reason CFB is in this NIL mess is because athletes werent happy with their free college/foods/weight programs/coaching etc, so they complained over and over again until they were allowed to get paid. In politics, sports, etc, complaining is the ONLY THING that works.

16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah...little chicken or the egg situation there. But my understanding is LSU NIL baseball $$ are about 10 times what Sully has, and Tim Walton lost his portal pitching targets to bigger $$ offers, so those are highly successful programs also facing issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have no problem with your suggestions, I just said pitch in and get to work. You just want others to do everything.

Go to one less game? What are you babbling about? Are you suggesting most season ticket holders cannot afford $20/month? That's a drive thru meal for 2.

I didn't say complaining doesn't work (there seems to be a theme here with your reading comprehension), I said it's hypocritical to complain when you are not helping. UF NIL is you, me and all other fans....you don't want to participate that's a perfectly acceptable stance. But then complaining about it is baffling.

• Like Like x 1
  18. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Except I am helping. I go to one game a year and buy multiple over priced 20$ piss beers and merch and watch the games in tv etc etc, which is what MOST people can afford. That should be enough. I am helping. But you’re helping *more* so you’ve put yourself on some sort of faux pedestal? Spare me.
    “I want other to do everything” lmfao, that is rich. I don’t *want* anybody to do anything. I don’t want the players to get paid. You have no idea what I want if you think “I want other to do everything” as I am literally here pitching ideas to improve it. Just an absolute joke of a statement.

The “one less game a year” comparison is towards your 20$/m donation example. Roughly the same cost. So instead of going to a game, in your mind, I can donate 20/m then I am allowed to voice my opinion without being called a hypocrite by apkgator? That’s all it takes? Wow sign me up.

My ideas were genuine ideas to improve this pathetic existence of NIL, yet here we are having a convo about how I’m a hypocrite and not worthy of an opinion, due to your interpretation. This has been very helpful, now I’m dying to throw money I don’t have at the collective.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And AGAIN, buying merch and beers isn't helping NIL. But here's an idea, instead of buying "multiple over priced $20 piss beers" donate to NIL. Problem solved, that wasnt so hard was it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    So the ultimate conclusion, is as I referenced earlier, to not go to games and send that money to FL victorious instead. Completely remove the game day experience so we can have good players because we (as CFB fans) got tricked into footing the bill for athletes. Pretty sick!