Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hey pollsters...Move us up!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 18, 2021.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    All true, but, still cling to the "win and we're in" notion. We may be better than any of those teams, but, I knew we wouldn't move up when no one ahead of us lost. The polls are way off this year, but, the ship will hopefully right itself by the time we get to Atlanta. If Georgia or Notre Dame had lost to Alabama by a missed extra point, they would be number 2 in the polls this morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 31g8r

31g8r GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Except polls are supposed to be a ranking of the quality of the team relative to their peers. Head to head, schedule, points etc. all matter. That is why power rankings are more accurate. The reward performance as well as wins and loses. Not the beauty contests like the AP and Coaches poll

• Like Like x 1
  3. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr All American

Oct 5, 2007
    lets not forget OU struggling against a weak weak Nebraska team. A lot of teams not deserving of their ranking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Another antiquated regimental mindset by the most backward system in sports. The mindset that a loss should not be rewarded with a rise in polls. The initial polls are nothing more than speculation to begin with. If the people claim Bama is number 1 then how does losing by a missed 2 point conversion warrant being ranked behind some of the poor performing teams ahead of us? It doesn't matter in the end of course but it doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida looks like a top 5 team right now despite the loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I’m fine with where we are at. I expected us to be somewhere between 10-13 and we still control our own destiny.

Yes we played the #1 team close but given the reputation of our defense I think people are less inclined to say that the Florida defense stepped up. They are more inclined to say that Bama had an off game and kept us close. They also never had to play from behind.

In my opinion you could shuffle around the top 13 in almost any order and one could make a case for it being that way. Everyone is relatively close this year and there really isn’t an obvious dominant team this year. Should make for a fun season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    End preseason polls. 1st poll should be week 4 at earliest.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Very good perspective. It's early, we need more games/input before getting too worked up.

I don't disagree that Florida could/should be higher, but we've also beaten nobody of significance yet. Rack up wins over the next several weeks and things will take care of itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

OSU and Clemson have losses too and look much worse than us.
    ND looks terrible against crap tams.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Clemson is overrated this year and I'm not saying that as the Clempson hater I am. They only managed to score three points against UGA. Yeah we got blown out by UGA, but we scored ten points more than Clemson, 40-13, using a GA turned QB and then a QB coming off an injury.

Honestly, you guys gave Bama a handful. I would rank you guys #2 or #3. UF vs UGA is going to be epic. If you beat them and win the east and get a rematch vs Bama, I might be betting on you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    late season polls almost always look very different from early season polls. After watching the 'Bama game and how we rolled them for three quarters I know we'll be there in the end. We're in their heads now and when we see them again in Atlanta we're gonna kick their butts! Bank it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    I imagine if we won by a point we would have moved up to maybe 6 and of course Clemson ND and OSU would be sitting above us somehow. Insane with what we did to Bama all game they could have Clemson or OSU ahead of us by any metric.

• Like Like x 1
  13. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    They’re too stupid to do that. But it’s pretty obvious already (IMO based on over 50 years of watching CFB) that we are a top 5 team when healthy. Imagine how much better the D will be with a few more games of experience and the O will be with a healthy more experienced AR. Injuries and the DA refs are the only things that can stop this team IMO.

14. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    Thank goodness there is a committee. The pre-season polls suck . Psychologically, it locks voters in despite what happens on the field. Oklahoma hasn't played well yet and their defense still sucks. Clemson can't score on my 82 yo mama. ND has been overrated every year for about 100 years. The polls are projections. No team has any "right" to their position. Each week should be a projection as to who are the best. No one has played Bama like we have the last two times we've played them. No one in the last 20 games.

15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Ask Saban who the toughest team(s) he has played over the past two years.
    Bet he doesn't think we are #11.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Beat an undefeated Bama in the SEC championship, then get the tiebreaker in Indianapolis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Neither does Kirby

• Agree Agree x 1