Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hey Billy. Read what Eli said.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ncgator015, Feb 11, 2024.

1. ncgator015

ncgator015 Senior

Jun 23, 2022
    Alabama's Kalen DeBoer faces play-calling dilemma after Ryan Grubb takes Seahawks offensive coordinator job - CBSSports.com

Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz finally relinquished play-calling duties for the 2023 season — his fourth on the job — and the results were great. The Tigers finished 11-2 with a Cotton Bowl victory over Ohio State as they jumped from 81st nationally in total offense to 28th with Kirby Moore as offensive coordinator.

"I wasn't embracing my role as the head coach," Drinkwitz said before the Cotton Bowl. "I was trying to hold on to my ego of being the play caller. And I needed to step back and say, the job as a head coach is to build this team, empower other people to do their jobs, and really build connections amongst our players from player-to player, coach-to player, and from our team to our university and community."

Enough said.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    • Winner x 12
    • Best Post Ever x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We have an offensive line and a senior QB who have invested their first year on the team learning a new offense — so now you want to throw all that experience away and give them a new offense to learn?

Might it make more sense to let this next season play out and then revisit the OC idea after we have a better understanding of what we have in our o-line and we’re starting a new QB?

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Agreed it's really dumb to try to do two jobs, especially when one is usually a direct report to the other and are the two highest level positions in an organization. Unless you're one of the best in the business at both but even then I'd argue that you need an OC.

Even Publix has cashiers AND baggers. One person cannot do two jobs as effectively as two people.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Well, okay. But there is wide disagreement on how much job security Napier actually has after two disastrous, inexcusable losing seasons. Personally, I think he needs to make some obvious changes right now, and relinquishing play calling is one of them. They can still run the same offense with someone else calling the plays with the greater situational awareness of being in the booth, so I’m not seeing the same difficulty there.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    Didn't seem to hurt Missouri.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    He won’t get that chance if he doesn’t produce a winning season in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Was the problem the type of offense we ran, or the disorganization pre-snap, occasional bizarre play calls, and the fact that it kept Billy's eyes off the big picture? I don't think many are calling for a new offense with a new coordinator. Most of us want to free Billy up from the job so he can focus on being a head coach.

I say this as a Billy supporter and sunshine pumper. He needs an OC, now, not next year.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. We looked like a team that didn’t have a head coach.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    What exactly is this supposed to show? We already know there are examples of HCs that call plays and HCs that delegate to an OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. urbangirl

urbangirl VIP Member

Oct 15, 2007
    It appears CBN prefers working harder NOT smarter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. grouchygator

grouchygator O.L.D.G.O.A.T. VIP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Ain't happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    What's done is done. If it doesn't work, he deserves the criticism.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I didn’t say it was

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    Like most coaches, I suspect BN has an ego, he seems to believe he is the one who should be calling the O. Perhaps his experience at the last stop convinces him he's the guy and seems unwilling to allow others dictate what he should or shouldn't do. He can afford to do this because win or lose he is financially set for life. Should he get canned by doing it his way he is rich. He also knows he can/will coach again at a sunbelt type level school. So, bottom line he can afford to roll the dice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Funny you said this because I just read an article that Aldi's is the fastest growing grocery chain in the US right now and they don't have baggers and barely have cashiers, they make you do it yourself, and you even have to bring your own bags or buy their paper ones.

All jokes aside, what is the difference between a offensive minded head coach that calls his own offensive plays vs a defensive headcoach who calls his own defensive plays? I've noticed people don't even mention those that call their own defensive plays as a HC.

And also it's odd the praise people give Liberty HC Jamie Chadwell as an offensive mind and playcaller and the sheer amount of people who wrote off willie korn as a OC in name only stating he doesn't call plays for Liberty and their top 5 offense. Lincoln Riley, and others still do it.

Not to say I wouldn't mind a legit OC, I donfeel though the timing isn't great going into a season that needs some continuity on offense with players who just getting experience in this system with a 5th year SR at QB.

Here's an article from 2 days ago that sheds some light on CBN's decision and that he plans to relinquish some duties on that side of the ball to other coaches. It also highlights that after avg 13.7 pts a game through the 1st 3 games of the season we actually surpassed 30 points in 5 of the last 7 games of the year, which also happen to have been against our highest ranked opponents so there is some truth about the offense starting to click towards the end of the season.

Florida's Billy Napier will continue calling offensive plays but plans to 'hand off some tasks on offense'

16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Beat dead horses much??

ENOUGH SAID.

• Like Like x 1
  17. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Now there's an idea, a football team where the customers (fans) call the plays themselves and have to bring the equipment for the players.

To the rest of your post, the offense isn't the problem here. My point still stands though, doing two jobs just results in two jobs being done less effectively. Look around at other successful programs. How many have key personnel doing multiple jobs?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Well that's what I was saying. How many HC's are actually still calling the defensive plays? Is being the HC/DC not the same as being the HC/OC? I just think it's Interesting that no one really mentions or even dives into which of those that still run their Defensive plays.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Most all of us agree on that but it doesn’t appear to be happening. All we can do is hope he proves us all wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Senior

Aug 20, 2018
    I'm not impressed at all with Napier being the play caller. We all know the reasons why. All we can do is let it all play out and support the team through it all....Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1