Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Herbstreit Must Be Banned

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rkb75, Aug 25, 2019.

1. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Herbstreit is a bit of a osu weenie, but he does seem like a genuinely decent guy. I don't find him particularly knowledgable or insightful, but he's also not a dimwit (liked Desmond). If you are offended by a color guy calling out bad tackling or poor QB play you need to stick to the Gator network radio broadcasts and never stray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Didn't hear much of the broadcast, too much yelling at my house.

I will say, the ESPN production was below standard. More than once I was looking for a replay that didn't come.

Not ESPN, but still can't believe that second fumble wasn't reviewed or at least explained why it wasnt UFs ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I gotta admit I’m with u. It came across as a fair observation to me but I tend to tune the commentary out often anyway

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    How do I get mick during games up here in atl? Does it play on that gator radio network app on iPhone??? Omy

5. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Is this a serious post? Banned for accurately pointing out that our defenders on some of those plays looked like they had never played football in their lives? The effort on some of those tackles was absolutely pitiful and describing it as “unwilling to tackle” was probably being generous.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Ever notice we get one of these silly "herbie sucks" threads every year only to see that most fans actually like the dude?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I was a little agitated & more than annoyed by that Herbstreit comment as well when the game suddenly swung the other way in Miami's favor. There were numerous times throughout the game that there were missed tackles from players of both teams. It was also the first game and very early in the season - misplays often happen during this time due to the lack of necessary practice time before games.

For instance, during Miami's attempt to tackle Kadaris Toney on his long touchdown run, I did not hear Herbstreit berate any of the Hurricane defenders in their efforts to try to tackle Toney.

When Miami's running back (Deejay Dallas) was in their wildcat formation (I initially thought that it was Miami's quarterback who had scored on that long run), Dallas happened to make some 'juke' moves (similar to KT) to elude Florida's defenders.

The 'juking' by the ball carrier made it more difficult for a defender to take the proper angle when they attempted to tackle. For an outside viewer, it would appear that the defenders were hesitant in tackling the offensive player when in reality the defender could not commit to the action of tackling or take the proper form of tackling (in CJ Henderson's case) and by then it was too late.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    And
    I have honestly never gotten the feeling of him being an osu homer. Pretty sure that why he was ran out of Columbus , him being fair and balanced about osu etc. the only time I’ve ever thought it almost was present was the proposed rematch in 06 but he wasn’t the only one that thought that. I like danielson doing color more as the years have gone by , he’s grown on me. And I do find gd to be knowledgeable

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    This. I'm not a Herbstreit fan and he says a lot of dumb crap but calling for him to be banned, especially on the basis of a comment that was actually correct, is insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

11. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    And Desmond’s “ do I need to choke a bitch” still has me crackin up 24 hours later. Says it on national tv and at the magic kingdom no less. The crown jewel of the parent company. The symmetry in that is astounding

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. tilly

Fake news. There are not a "bunch" of them.

• Funny Funny x 7
  13. tilly

TuneIn app. Then search GRN or WRuF.
    You will have to adjust the slider to get the stream timing lined up with TV.

I like to listen to the TV guys but switch over during halftime and timouts to get some commentary/injury updates...and rewind for big plays from Mick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    I stopped caring about announcers a long time ago. Just win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Haters gonna hate!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    So the missed tackles was because they didn’t want to? Really?
    Maybe poor technique but calling out Henderson’s effort as not wanting it was over the line for a TV game announcer.

17. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    Yep...quit listening to the espn announcers at halftime. Started listening to mic 2nd half.

18. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    I just listen to 850 WRUF, all the way up here in Boston.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    He was so pro Miami it was shocking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Is he being suspended?