Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Henderson/Wilson discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by defensewinschampionships, Oct 21, 2019.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I was rewatching the condensed game and what struck me was that Henderson and Wilson do NOT look ready for the NFL. What are the chance we have one or both of them back next year?

2. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    CJ is 100% gone. He's a bit soft tackling, but has elite speed, good size, and great ball skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Tackling skills are suspect on both...but they can flat out cover. Marco may benefit from a second season post injury.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    CJ hasn't looked happy to me, this season.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Easily the most disappointing position so far. At least when measuring what we expected. Having said that ...CJ has enough tape and enough hi-lights to convince a team to go after him 1st round. Marco really doesn’t at this point.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 All American

Sep 2, 2018
    This is interesting, I don't doubt CJ is a good college corner, but ready for the NFL? I can't see it. The RBs in the NFL are all 220, and the wideouts are just.bigger and faster. Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson were more physical and jalen is on someones reserve team, think Quincy has already been moved to safety. I would love to see them back next year with maybe Burney and Stewart at safety

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. okcgator

okcgator Senior

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Probably frustrated that he sat out 1/4 of his money making season already. I’m sure he will leave after this year no matter what his draft grade is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    CJ is a full two steps faster than Quincy and probably three faster than Tabor.

Henderson has quietly had a solid season. We’ve seen him give up more completions but he’s been targeted more because the opposition can’t pick on Wilson as easily as they picked on Dean last year.

He’s broken up 9 passes (top ten nationally) in four full games. He’s also been in position on a couple of other completions given up (Edwards last week, Chase in the end zone the week before) but a better throw and catch were made.

I’m sure C.J. will leave and he should. He has everything scouts look for in an NFL corner. Marco is a little more interesting.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Vernon Hargreaves had a relatively mediocre junior season, compared to how he played as a sophomore and freshman. He still got drafted in the first round.

Perhaps Vernon was saving it for the NFL? Could CJ be doing the same? I don’t think so, because he doesn’t seem to be afraid to hit anyone. But you wonder if he’s making a business decision, especially after the ankle injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I trust them both. They work as hard as anyone and are all Gator. If anyone is playing less than 100% it is not conscious so don't even go there.

Preseason expectations were that no one would be able to throw on them. Reality is different and pass rush has suffered because of injuries. Marco has made a bunch of highlight tackles that's for sure.

They have big games coming up. The best is ahead for this defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    He's always had that demeanor IMO. But I definitely think he loves being a gator.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Are you saying he looked a step slow in the pouring rain, on a soggy field? :rolleyes:

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. standupandhollar

standupandhollar All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t have any insight on whether they will stay or not. But they both played hard against SC. CJ blitzed quite a few times and sacked Hilinski on that first and goal where they went up 20-17. Marco ran down Feaster early in the game. Marco has looked better each week. CJ didn’t tackle very well against Miami. He is still an excellent corner.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    he didnt save anything for the nfl!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think hes great but if we want a great season we need him to make that play on Edwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    I think they should each stay another year. How many of our guys were guaranteed first round draft picks and were still sitting around after Day 1 ? According to "sources", there are about 100 1st round picks every year. Agents own the NFL bc they prey on fear. Fear of a team missing out and the GM getting fired. And , to the player , fear of injury in college derailing his career. On top of that, players who are more mature coming out of college stay in the League longer. Another year in the weight program would benefit anyone , much less these guys with Coach Savage, before entry into a League where the WR's are so much faster and stronger. But, in the end, I think CJ is gone . I would think Wilson will stay another year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Both look like they’d rather be getting paid to play football.

Wilson was aggressive, physical and a solid, willing tackler as a freshman. I also don’t recall Henderson having the issues he’s had tackling in his first couple of seasons.

I seriously doubt either returns, and wouldn’t be surprised if both sit for UF’s bowl game if they fail to reach the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. r0r080

r0r080 Freshman

Jul 31, 2019
    You're wrong on both....... in just making blanket assumptions about both can "flat out cover", or at least this season.....not so much! I say that by virtue of the fact of the type coverage the DC has employed for much of the season with the DB's. If the DC had confidence in their coverage skills, you'd see Florida employ more "Hands on Man" coverage to disrupt timing of our opponents passing games........that tells me much. I'm not saying that neither has the ability, but at least this season it hasn't been seen with the way we've covered our opponent's WR's. Because I know both have the talent to cover but yet haven't been used in that manner this season, I'm inclined to believe neither is still 100% healthy.......nothing else makes sense on why we haven't seen either be more physical with pass coverage. Additionally it obvious to me having Trey Dean at the nickle is not his natural position, and is more suited for the safety position......it bottom line for me points to the short comings this Gators defense have with personnel this season, and the coaching staff doing its best to make the best of that situation despite not having the right personnel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Joaqui

Joaqui Sophomore

Jul 17, 2016
    I think they are both gone after this year. Cj is a first rounder and marco probably 3-4th.

marco would maybe benefit from another year but who knows.

I will say that cbs have been my biggest disappoint this year. I really thought that group would hold it down more

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I think we’ve had a scheme change for some reason with less press/man to man on the corners this year, and especially after Zu went down.

When Greenard also went down, we have had even less press coverage.

I don’t think CJ or Marco can fully show off their coverage skills 10-12 yards off the line of scrimmage.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1