Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Henderson to enter draft, not playing bowl game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by obgator, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Don't like the not playing in a bowl game... but I understand it...

Business decision

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    His teammates are supporting him- they are happy he is in that position and don’t want anything messing it up for him...and if they are good I am good with it. They have given 50 hours a week or more for years, he’s earned a game away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    I see him as a second round pick. I thought he played not to get injured a lot this year. Huge talent though.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    He was my favorite player to watch on defense last year. Good luck CJ and thanks for being a Gator.

5. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the trend of sitting out the bowl game is trash.

But wish CJ the best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    If Henderson thinks that he will be drafted in the first round he will will be in for a surprise, more than likely will be drafted in the second round at its best.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Same

8. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Exactly right, though I have no problem with seniors who don't have a Pro future to play. But if you are a legit NFL prospect and are leaving, I would encourage them not to play what is ultimately a meaningless game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    CJ is a lock first rd pick (barring something unforeseen in his medical). I think CJ is going to put up some crazy good numbers at the NFL combine and team workouts. He will test off the charts and that is what the NFL values at CB more than anything. He's got enough good tape at CB that teams will overlook the bad tape, provided the measurables are elite (which I think they will be). Marlon Humphrey (Bama) is a great example of a guy with really inconsistent tape in college. Ravens loved the measurables, took him at 16 and he's one of the elite corners in the NFL. Once CJ puts up that sub 4.4 (provided he's a legit 6'0) all will be forgiven.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I have zero problem with players sitting out meaningless bowl games. And yes the OB is meaningless, any non CFP game is. It is what it is

My problem is much more players “preserving” themselves in games they actually do play. If you play you need to give 110%. Im not saying CJ did this though

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. AuldG8R

AuldG8R All American

Dec 11, 2007
    Put me in the crowd that believes not playing in the bowl game is wrong. When you look up the football record for last year is says 10-3, not 9-3 and oh yea they won their bowl game. The season isn't over until the bowl game is complete. So, if you voluntarily choose not to play in the bowl you quit before the season ended. Just my opinion. However, all the best to CJ in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. gatorcaiman

gatorcaiman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A little off subject but it never made sense to give the bowl teams extra practice time while the teams that need more practice (the ones that don't go bowling) are not allowed the same extra practices.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    What reward is there for playing in a meaningless bowl game?

If we went to the SECCG or CFP he’d be playing

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I think he should play in the bowl game and it is bush league to not help your teammates after all they have done for you, but frankly I am excited to see more Elam in the Bowl Game. I think he is really talented and can't wait to see what he does next year. I can't recall seeing him get beat this year, and he even has a couple picks, which is more than you can say for Henderson.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    trend maker? hope not.

16. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    He has already moved on. Personal decision. Business decision. Best of luck, young man.

That said, I have much respect for the NFL-bound who honor their school and teammates by being there for the bowl game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    CJ's slotted in by most places as the #4 CB in the draft, which usually means 1st round. Best ranking I've seen for Van is #21 WR overall, but I've also seem him at #24 for just his class (not including underclassmen, many of whom will be high picks), but I think he will get picked in the middle rounds. That they still have Zuniga above Greenard is a bit surprising, considering a lot of places have Greenard above Jabari.

What reward is that? A couple hundred dollars worth of swag and a trip to Miami?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I definitely wish he was playing in the bowl game. BUT..
    Bowl games the least important games of the year.
    If we can beat UVA without him, then the extra reps for an Elam or another young guy can only help us.

(Again, IF we can beat UVA without him.)

So not all bad. I'm a big school-first guy but it's not the worst idea for him, or for us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Quite correct. And to add, if this is where their head is then you don't want them playing. If he has checked out then best wishes and time to get the next group prepared for the next season.

Now if we were in the playoffs and a couple of key players decide to check out then I would feel much stronger. But that isn't what is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    bowl games are not meaningless. if so, all games since losing to the poodles were meaningless, including the nolies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1