Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Henderson didn't qualify

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by maxgator, Aug 16, 2019.

1. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I corrected myself about the Dexter comment.

But you bring up another funny excuse that GC posters love to use. "Recruiting experts are idiots", "Websites are biased against the Gators"(one of my personal faves), "The coaches know better".

For the average fan that doesn't have time to watch film and attend HS games, recruiting services are the best option for (supposedly) unbiased evaluations of the players. And generally the rankings are GREATLY affected by a player`s college offer list so if you trust the rankings you often ARE trusting the top college coaches.

2. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    A1. We don't need to recruit all 5*, but I would think this staff wants to recruit better for sure. Dionte Marks only had 6 offers according to 247, UF, FAU, UCF, FSU, Nerbaska, and WVU. Not a bad list to be sure, but certainly not the best of the best. Jamarkis Weston was offered by Penn State, Bowling Green, FAU, UMASS, UT, and UCF. Again, not a bad list, but UF wasn't exactly competing against LSU, UGA, Alabama, and Clemson for these kids. They may have great careers, for sure, but I would think that the staff probably had players higher on their board than these 2. Mycah Pittman, for example, was very high on the board but the staff missed on him. All reports from Oregon say he's going to be really good. Frank Ladson at Clemson was from the state of Florida. UF offered him, but wasn't a major player in his recruitment. Mark Anthony Richards was high on the board at one point, but Auburn got him to go out of state. So it's not like UF got all of the top guys they wanted. They reached.

A2. We did not recruit Hendersen specifically over anyone else. He was a surprise commit late in the process because he didn't have anywhere to go and we needed WR.

A3. It's OK to take a +1 every year. UF took 4 +1s in a year when they needed all of those spots filled after a smaller class the year before. WR recruiting isn't specifically my issue, just the approach to recruiting that is an issue. UF is taking chances because they are losing battles. Or at least, that is what it LOOKS like.

A4. I'll answer your question with a question - do you really believe UF is getting most of their top targets?

A5. You mean regarding the full roster? I'm sure most of the big boys are hovering right around 80-85. You could go check and prove me wrong I guess.

A6. Good stuff.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Ham n Eggers is a bit unfair. UF is ranked #13 with only 18 commits and 10 of those are 4* on the 247 composite. Not exactly ham n eggers. This looks like it is shaping up as another top 10 class on signing day as long as they don't lose 25% of the class in the first year again lol.

4. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I just took a deep look at our class vs the classes ahead of us. Our player average is on par with the team's ranked 7 and below. The number of players is all over the place, but our total of 18 is around the average for these teams. So I guess from a high level view our class could easily move up to 7 if the right players fall our way. When I look at the list of names not many jump out at me as program changers.

Sometimes I think posters get too hung up on a single word of a post and can't see the point of the message. So if you want to reduce my whole post to "ham n egger" I'll try not to use that term again......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Excellent post and right on w numbers.

For those, and there are several, that think 80-85 is not super paramount for an 11 win season or more should listen to Dan’s 8/12/19 press conference ( PLEASE APK calling for you). He talks about depth three times and at the 17:14 mark talks about 88 starting positions. if you listen. From the 7 minute mark on you really can’t argue or disagree that depth is paramount to our success in Dan Mullen’s mind. If our head coach says it and talks about it 3 times and one time saying 8& starting positions depth really must be important and a worry to the Head Ball Coach at the University of Florida. Listen to Dan and the importance of every team. Offense, defense, kick off, punt coverage, field goal, etc. Dan names them all. By the way for those going to question, Dan goes through every unit. I’m sure some of those guys would pull double duty but you can easily see how in some games this year he will play a ton of guys. BTW talks about playing 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, and 4’s.

Man we have the man with the plan in Coach Dan!!!

Dude is always thinking about development. Very very impressive presser.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Of course we don’t want to go back to the pre-Spurrier years — whatever that means. Our 7 year run under Muschamp and Max certainly rivals some of the worst of those years on paper, but of course pre-1990 we couldn’t point to one championship of any kind.

But hell any of us can say that, and to constantly bitch about not having Bama-like performance on the field or in recruiting with Mullen one season into taking over a 4-7 team is nothing more than spoiled ignorant whining.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Are there people on this thread asking for a Bama like performance? I thought the conversation was just about having a full roster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    As you all know by now, Hendi headed to Jacksonville State

9. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I think some of these kids that are great athletes will make it back into the fold after getting a rolling start in Juco. Like Hendi and Black. I think they and their families appreciate the manner in which they were recruited and treated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    You mean Black and Wilson since Hendi is now at a 4 year school, no?

11. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    He can work on his grades there and then transfer to a real school.

12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I hear ya. Hopefully he gets a chance to get himself om the field and produce regardless of if he comes back to UF or not. Hope this serves as his wakeup call

13. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Bah! My bad. I had Henderson confused. Yes.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008

15. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    We will take about 8 more for 2020. Almost all will be 4 stars unless we really strike out on ones we are in good shape with. The number of 4 stars is in line with Meyers' classes, but just missing a few top 100 recruits, being substituted with 100-200 level recruits. Not a huge drop off. The trend is in the right direction. Go back and take a look at Meyers'attrition level. His first class was attrocious, and one class had more that never saw a practice field than this one of CDM. I agree that you only need to look at a little film to see that the 2019 and the current 2020 are not full of ham and eggers. Plus CDM transfers are contributing at a high level at 100%, versus 70% or so for the typical high school recruit. He is plugging the holes well.

• Like Like x 4
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Since we released him from his scholarship, he never enrolled and is now at another school, does he still count as an initial counter for us?

17. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I guess that since you only dress 70 on the road and 80 at home we are going to have an empty spot at 8-18 of those 88 starting positions.
    In all seriousness, those last few spots on the roster are not even going to dress, so insinuating they will be the difference in winning 11 games is just silly. And IF injuries hit so hard they were forced into action, then we are in trouble anyway and unlikely to have a great season. Any guys that were in those empty slots were primarily guys that transfer out due to no playing time, or freshmen that didn't make it in. Not key slots for this season
    Is it optimal to have a full roster, especially for future options? Sure. But in todays game it's highly unlikely. I believe Clemson was under 80 last year...it's the nature of the beast today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't think this is all on Mullen. Our admission department makes the final decision on these players and whether or not they think they can be successful at UF. They've been very strict in the past but seem to have eased off. Whatever the case, this can't become a new trend. A 17th ranked recruiting class year in year out won't cut it when you're competing against top 10 teams in your own conference.

19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Good question. I don't have any idea on how that work

20. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    Pretty sure all non-qualifiers count against our initial counters.