Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Henderson didn't qualify

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by maxgator, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Agree. I'm assuming that's a done deal for us to get back to Atlanta, though!

2. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    We need some Samoans!!! o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    When meyer and zook were here the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world werent dominating college football all while looking all fancy and high tech by igniting a arms race or should I say facility warfare. Times are much different in the college football world then they were 10+years ago

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Most teams don't have decades of continuous success, so my statement is more hypothetical than anything. But any good coach at UF should be able to win a title or 2 within a decade's time. I don't think that's outrageous.

And I didn't say a couple. I said a title or 2. 1 title is plenty, 2 maybe during a truly remarkable run. You don't think a school like UF should be able to win one title per decade?

5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our facilities weren't worse relative to what other schools had. In fact, in the early to mid 2000's our facilities were better than what most other schools had. If facilities wouldn't make any difference, why are we and every other big time school putting so much money into them?

Our brand as a program was infinitely better then than it is now. Again- Zook's and Meyer's recruits grew up watching Spurrier's teams. Our recruits today grew up watching Muschamp's and Mac's teams. You don't think that has a heavy influence on how recruits see our program? Mullen has to change their perception completely, which is something neither Zook or Meyer had to do at all.

Can you give me a few of the "countless examples of great recruiting coaches signing top notch classes at all kinds of schools under bad conditions"?

Note Meyer's classes at Utah were ranked #71 and #63. Zook's classes at Illinos - #48, #27, #22.

I think everyone would agree Meyer and Zook are both elite recruiters. Yet when they didn't have a strong program with great facilities behind them, they didn't recruit at an elite level. So this "good recruiters recruit and don't take no for an answer" theory really doesn't hold up to the actual facts.

I'd note Dabo didn't really start getting top 5 classes until they had world class facilities and consistent playoff appearances.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    It's hard to say hes reaching on a real talented players such as hendi and others like Kelvin joseph who didnt get cleared and he just came from A big time national power school which just happens to be our permanent west foe LSU. Difficult to place blame just because they didn't qualify when the same player would probably qualify at 90% of the schools on our schedule. why not try. When the cards are stacked against you sometimes you have to reach to get over it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Totally agree. And Coach Dan Mullen will get us that title within the first decade of his tenure at UF. This is the beginning of year 2......think there’s a possibility you just might be getting ahead of yourself a little?

Here’s hoping he has a decade or two at UF after this one.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And Dabo didn’t have as many “fans” bitching and whining because things weren’t perfect after his first season at Clemson either. And I’m gonna go out on a limb and speculate that Dabo didn’t win 10 games in his first season there like CDM did here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    Little more difficult to do when that decade is dominated by bama and Clemson's 7 out of the last 10 championships. Not to mention that decade started basically on the heels of Meyers sudden departure in which our program was left in shambles in the wake of meyer leaving.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Very well said. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    So you make a blanket statement accusing posters of calling for CDMs firing and then expect us to prove YOUR argument for you? This is one of the most &#$@%&$ (I’ve edited myself to try to take the high road) posts I’ve ever seen on a message board.

13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    The amount of guys that qualify or transfer really dont make me happy. Sure, I think some will pan out, I root for some, but I really dont care. I root for UF. I'm not gonna make stuff up like Steele wouldve been a stud here so let's blame the coaches.

3 guys didnt make grades. One we knew about but was a huge recruiter for us. Would you really have cut bait from diwun?

Another was from talent rich Polk county. Would you have cut bait with him?

Arjeh was a +1. Did we even waste time recruiting him? Would you have denied his commitment?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think the problem is some see a result and call it an issue. There are so many variables that its worthless to really get in to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    [​IMG]
    That just might work.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    O
    ne a decade would have us upwards of ten and we have three. One a decade would be great, just like SOS I d say. We just need to compete. Maybe we get none, maybe two or three on a great run. Bowden got a couple on what was a great run too. No one has ever done what Bama is doing right now and I think that skews reality of what can be expected.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    First, when you bring in a new coaching staff, kids recruited under the former coach or staff sometimes have trouble buying in or fitting new schemes. Players transfer out as a result. This is true of all programs with coaching staff changes. Just heightened now due to the transfer portal

Secondly, our staff is now competing against programs that have built $60 million stand alone football facilities in the last 10 years. These did not exist during Spurrier or Urban. We are also competing against colleges that offer athletic stipends that are $2000 plus a year ($8000 plus over 4 years) more than Gators provide in athlete spending money. These stipends did not exist during Spurrier or Urban. Can’t simply ignore competitive and recruiting differences. We are 3 seasons away from our facilities being equal to what other top programs had years ago.

Thirdly, I acknowledge we took risks on HS players with grade challenges that other college programs stopped recruiting in hopes they would make it in. We gambled and lost. I believe it was to make our recruiting class ranking artificially look better. We should acknowledge our coaching staff are not as strong on the recruiting front. Some appear to not enjoy recruiting, don’t build relationships as well as others, and some don’t keep in contact with kids as often. Mullen recognizes recruiting issues and blew up his entire player development director staff. Hevesy and Knox are known for screaming at kids during practice. That tough love is not for everyone and could turn off some kids that watch practices. I do think recruiting will improve the longer the staff is in Florida. December 2018 is when they started building Florida relationships with coaches, recruits and families.

Lastly, I think we have a superior on field coaching and development staff with great continuity and experience working together. This can differentiate us from other programs. Willie T has a program of coaches that did not work together at FSU. No system continuity and saw on field last year. Dan is one of top 5 offensive coaches in college ball

• Like Like x 1
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    This thread is pik
    I would have pursued players that were more likely to qualify.

20. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Worthless to talk about recruiting on a recruiting forum? Why even have the op then? Lol. We should just censure bad news here.

• Funny Funny x 1