Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Heading to South Carolina

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twilsong8r, Oct 28, 2021.

1. twilsong8r

twilsong8r Recruit

Feb 3, 2010
    I will be going to the game at South Carolina and I've never been to Columbia. Looking for some ideas of things to do/see the day before and day of the game, any recommendations for things to do or places to eat/drink are appreciated.

Thank you in advance and Go Gators!

2. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Vero Beach, Florida
    We actually stay in Charleston and spend Thurs and Friday there. Gameday in Columbia is a blast, and its a bit different. You have two options, one is to head to downtown Columbia and drink and hang out there some shopping and some bars. The other option is to head to the fairgrounds right near the stadium. You can tailgate there and their is a really cool little bar on the North West side of the fairgrounds, good food cool little place, Jaco's I think. Also on the South Side of the stadium are the Cock-a-boose. It's kind of like the Bull Gators, but an old train that the big time alumni rent for the season. They are always very friendly and alot of fun.

3. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Maybe someone like @GoCocks3877 can help.
    (Sorry to throw you under the bus but that’s a reason why we like other fans here).lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

YO, if I were you (and this may not be easy) they say the choo choo train cars are where the action is at. How you get access and so forth I have no clue, but ever since Todd Blackledge did his (eating) special a few years ago, at the train cars, that would be where I would head. Looked AWESOME!

As indicated hopefully our Gamecock fans that come here reply to you.

5. timandsam

timandsam Recruit

Feb 14, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    twilsong8r:
    My wife & I are coming to Columbia from Pennsylvania. My youngest daughter is a senior at South Carolina ('22) and my 2 older daughters are UF Alum ('09 and '20)! We always come together with the girls to tailgate at the Gator-Gamecock games whether in Gainesville or Columbia.
    awells05 recommendations are right on! Can't really add much to his recommendations.
    In any event the Gametime is 7:30pm and we start our UF tailgate around 3:00pm. If you'd like to stop at our UF tailgate (which is literally just 100 yards from the Williams-Brice South Entrance), please feel free to PM me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Good place to eat and before a game as well..

https://thejscorner.com/

on the corner of Rosewood and Bluff road. Not to far from the stadium.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. FusionGator

FusionGator All American

Nov 15, 2015
    I don't recommend going to Fort Jackson. Rough place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. newmex

newmex Sophomore

Sep 13, 2019
    makes sure you visit a Cockaboose or three.

9. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    We'll be at the fairgrounds on GameDay tailgating! My son went to USC and we always go to town for the UF game. As for nightlife, there are two main sections that flank the main campus on either side -- "Five Points", which caters to more of the students, and "the Vista" which is on the other side of campus by the basketball arena. Bars are plentiful in both. Recommendations for Five Points would be Pauly's Front Porch (grab a burger here) or Publico (great mexican food). Vista caters to more "bar chains" such as Tin Rook, Ale House (best place to watch games, IMO), Twin Peaks, etc but does have some cool local watering holes and restaurants.

You should note that the stadium and the fairgrounds is a good haul from campus -- at least 3 miles I would say. It's walkable from downtown (I've done it involuntarily twice) but I don't recommend it based on the distance and the sketchiness of a few areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    It's fun - very reasonable fanbase.

11. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I was at Ft Jackson for a time. Not high on the list of bases I would ever miss (and I didn’t even have to live on base)

12. up

up GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I had a good meal at the Hunter-Gatherer Brew Pub.

13. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Do we know what time kick off is?

14. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    7:30

15. FusionGator

FusionGator All American

Nov 15, 2015
    Did Basic Training there. I'm convinced it's the hottest place on the planet.

16. Joaqui

Joaqui Premium Member

Jul 17, 2016
    I went a couple of years ago and i was not impressed with the crowd, the stadium, or the stadium location. Parking for me was very far away so it was a long walk in rubble or a ride from the golf carts they have around. Walking around Columbia was cool. I would stay around the downtown area.

17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    They do have good fan support for a pretty unfinished product. 2001 Odyssey was good, right?

18. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    If you went during the Muschamp era then you might understand the disappointment among the fans.

I’m bias, but I think Williams Brice is a good football stadium to watch a game. I don’t think there is a bad seat in the house.

The fans are generally passionate, but Spurrier spoiled the fan base which kinda is a good thing because it raises expectations. Before he got there fans were thrilled to have 6, 7 or 8 wins a year. Now they are wanting more, which they should.

I hate Sandstorm even though I think we are the ones that started that , but 2001 is always been my favorite.

When SC is winning it’s one of the loudest stadiums in the SEC, especially at night.

Hope you’ll come back and try it again.

• Like Like x 2
  19. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    have been to 4 UF/SCe games in Williams Bryce- found it a good place to watch a game - the back rests are comfortable and the fans have been hospitable- in 2003 while tailgating my cuz who is a big time SCe booster told me SOS was coming there to Coach - I told him no way that happens- he obviously knew more than I thought