Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Heading to Gainesville....need advice!

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by LS1, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:23 PM.

1. LS1

LS1 Recruit

Sep 9, 2015
    Hilliard, OH
    So, the wife and I are spending some time in Clearwater Beach in mid April, and decided to leave a couple days early so we can go to the O&B Game on 4/13. We live in Ohio and we'll be leaving early Thursday morning, driving south, staying the night at a hotel in Macon that Thursday night, then heading into Florida on Friday and staying the night somewhere near Gainesville on Friday night.

Here's where I need help. We want to be close enough to Gainesville that we won't have much of a drive before the game on Saturday, but we don't really know what to do or where to stay Friday night. Is there anything on 75 south between Macon and Gainesville that's worth checking out? Are there some fun spots in Gainesville that won't be overflowing with college kids on a Friday night? We don't have kids, early 30's, we like to drink but we're too old for that college type of crowd.

I'm hoping to get a hotel booked soon. I haven't been to Gainesville for 20 years when I was just a kid, so any advice would be appreciated!

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    I have no idea how booked Gainesville will be. I am guessing there is enough activity that weekend that the rates and bookings are higher than normal.

My suggestion is to look at staying in Lake City the night before. That places you about an hour away which isn't too bad. Lake City has a variety of mid to low priced motels.

Hope you have a great trip!

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yeah, I would go this route unless money is no option. Otherwise, why not stay downtown Gainesville and enjoy that scene? There are plenty of bars/restaurants that will not be overcrowded with college kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    To the question - the only thing I can think of between Macon and G'ville are the springs and/or Ichetucknee River, but those are daytime activities and require warm weather (or good whisky).

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    There's a Hampton Inn downtown right across from Harry's and Lillians. And the Hippodrome. There is plenty of stuff to do in walking distance, and you can get transportation over to the Swamp by taxi, bus, uber etc. Mrs. GK and I did New Year's eve staying there and I can say it did not suck. She was on her game that night. I recommend that as well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando
    Hopefully you have better luck than me. I have to be in Gainesville this morning and Ocala tomorrow morning. I was going to spend the night in Ocala to avoid the drive from Orlando to Gainesville, and then Orlando to Ocala. The only hotels with available rooms in Gainesville are $400+. Ocala is booked out except for places you woukd stay out of fear for your life, and those places are $200 a night. Damn you Spring Breakers!!!!!!!! I’m driving back and forth twice thanks to them.

8. LS1

LS1 Recruit

Sep 9, 2015
    Hilliard, OH
    Booked a room here. Thank you!

How can I buy tickets to the spring game? I'm assuming they are dirt cheap but I can't find a link online anywhere to buy them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Afternoon Kickoff for Orange & Blue Game - Florida Gators

It's usually free, you can check with the ticket office to confirm. I've never seen a full house, so even if they are charging, there should be plenty available. You could try stubhub.com. Good news is the Gators are going to win the game. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Stayed there with Mrs. GK on our wedding day. Hopefully you'll have similar luck. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    What kind of luck? Did you find a penny in the parking lot with heads up or something? :devil:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    :D Sorta, kinda, I guess ya had to be there. Not to brag, but y'all get the picture. Except there are no pictures available. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    never thought Ocala was a spring break haven.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

Turns out it’s not. Apparently Gator Nationals is this weekend. 1 1/2 hours up. 2:15 back. Crazy traffic from Gainesville to Ocala.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Drag racing ~ where the cars go too fast to turn left...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Reminds me of I-4. Ya had to be there. :)

• Agree Agree x 1