Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Head of the Class: No. 1 Florida - 2021-2022 Recruiting Class

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Bear1974, Nov 19, 2020.

1. ExSS99

ExSS99 Freshman

Oct 21, 2015
    On a boat
    Don't want to say too much but one of our stud recruits fathers who is listed above, has coached and continues to coach my son. I think he sticks he is currently in g-ville and is loving it!! He is a great kid, and I'm really looking forward to watching him play in the new stadium.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

College is not for everyone but I personally wouldn’t trade college for $250-500K at 18. For $5M, yes…

But even the idea of going back later, it isn’t the same. 18-22 is VERY different than 25+.

But I was good at school and many can’t stand it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    There will be football players on the fence of going pro after 3 years that may stay in college because they will be able to grow another year AND make some money with the new NIL allowance. Unfortunately, I do not see baseball players benefitting from the new NIL allowance or at least nowhere near their football and basketball counterparts. I do not see a HS prospect saying, I am going to forgo the draft and go to college because of the college experience and growth as well as the NIL money. In fact, you may see some two-way stars forgo baseball to make that NIL football money unless the two-way status would give them extra leverage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    In football, your draft position pretty much dictates your pay. Not really room for negotiation until your second contract. So it’s more based on whether you think another year of improvement could move you up several rounds or not.

In baseball, you have a lot of bargaining power as a guy that can go back to school for another year. A guy drafted in a later round can still possibly get first round money if the team wants you bad enough. You lose that power if you actually come back though, and can even get a smaller contract even if drafted much higher.

It’s hard to compare because they are not similar at all. Regardless of the nil.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1