Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Head of the Class: No. 1 Florida - 2021-2022 Recruiting Class

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Bear1974, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    St. Augustine, FLA
    Head of the Class: No. 1 Florida | Perfect Game USA

Here is good eye candy recruiting article from perfectgame.

Full 2021-2022 Recruiting Class

Over the years in Gainesville a top recruiting class has become the norm under Head Coach Kevin O’Sullivan and his 2021 class may be one of the best yet that he and his staff has assembled. A quick look at the overall class from the link above reveals an overview of the class and the first six players all wearing the same blue uniform, representative of the East club from the 2020 PG All American Classic. In what’s typically a bigger class than normal for the Gators with 22 players set to call the Swamp their next home, the sheer talent and depth of this group not only against the rest of the classes around the country, but also some of the top classes from recent memory.

That said, anytime you have a collection of talent like O’Sullivan has incoming, there’s always the risk of losing guys to the MLB Draft, something that all classes are hit by though there’s plenty of time from now until next July. Right-hander Andrew Painter, ranked No. 3 overall and the top arm in the country, has immediate weekend rotation piece written all over him as his athletic 6-foot-7 frame produces easy mid-90s heat which has been upwards of 97 mph this summer. If the velocity wasn’t enough, Painter also shows a pair of breaking balls, one of which is a slider that’ll show plus, alongside a changeup which will also show plus, quickly supporting the young Floridian’s lofty ranking.

The 97 mph on the radar gun is certain to attract one’s attention but it was right-hander Chase Petty who became the first ever pitcher to touch triple digits at a Perfect Game event, topping out at 100 mph during the 17u WWBA this past summer. The arm speed is obvious for the New Jersey native and simply put, it isn’t a very fun at-bat for opposing hitters as the ball explodes onto you all the while keeping in the back of your mind that Petty also possesses one of the better sliders from the prep ranks.

Followed by a pair of hard throwing right-handers are a duo of left-hander in 6-foot-8 Pierce Coppola and strongly built Philip Abner, both of whom were up to 94 mph during the summer while missing plenty of bats throughout the circuit. Coppola uses his length to his advantage, generating steep plane with which hitters have a difficult time picking up while Abner creates some serious angle to his fastball while spinning a hard slider with late biting life. Listed as a primary first baseman, Jac Caglianone is a legitimate two-way option at the collegiate level with intriguing juice from the left side but also a pretty easy operation on the mound which led to a top bolt of 94 mph of his own.

The depth on the mound continues as one goes down the list: right-hander Kyle Larsen has been up to 95 mph, Brandon Neely and Fisher Jameson have both been up to 94 mph and the trio of Anthony Ursitti, Karl Hartman, and Samuel Sloan have all topped out at least 92 mph while left-hander Carsten Finnvold makes for a difficult at-bat given his numbers and overall pitchability.

Both Jay Allen and Rene Lastres are key pieces to this class as well as Allen, a highly touted football prospect, has the type of athleticism and skill to make an impact both at the top of a lineup as well as in center field from the moment he arrives on campus. Lastres is one of the more refined receivers in the country and has shown no qualms with handling the premium stuff he saw all summer on the circuit from the arms on Canes National while showing off a plus arm of his own. At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, the Hialeah Gardens native has continued to grow into his right-handed swing, showing flashes of what his power potential could ultimately be at the end of the day.

Infielders Jake Fox and Deric Fabian are the two top ranked infielders in the class which also features Jorge De Goti and Jonah Diaz as O’Sullivan stayed in-state for all of his players in the dirt. Fox showed off a natural handle for the barrel from the left side throughout the summer, hitting .333 on the circuit while Fabian, the younger brother of Jud, impressed with his overall skill and athleticism up the middle. Any one of Ty Evans (6.46), Michael Robertson (6.30) or Corey Robinson (6.32) could seemingly cover the entire outfield by themselves given their foot speed, a tool at the forefront of all their skillsets. Evans is the most physical of the group and already shows pretty significant strength at impact while both Robertson, a left-handed hitter, and Robinson show the ability to shoot the gaps and let their speed go to work. Another outfielder to keep an eye on is Matthew Prevesk who shows 6.6 speed of his own with nice whip through the zone and strength to his pull side.

Give us your feedback

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Been fortunate enough to see a lot of guys in this class. I am sure we will lose some to the draft but it is a very solid and deep class. There are a lot of athletes in this class!

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Best, most complete write-up of the beyond real 2021 class I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Impressive group of recruits. I think not many will see campus unless they get drafted to bad organizations. Pro ball is a business like @74nole has told us time and time again.

And we have a lot of talent already here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    You never know what the draft will hold. It is not necessarily all about the talent of the athlete and factors pretty heavily in the "signability" of the player. Case in point, Barco. All the talking heads thought there was no way he makes it to campus and yet there he was as our Sunday guy last year. He knew his worth and would not settle for the offers he was getting.

Another thing that is going to start paying dividends for the college game is the shorter draft. MLB has started retracting teams in the minor league system. It appears as they will have a 20 round draft this coming season so in all honesty they are using college baseball as a minor league type system. I think over the next few cycles we will start seeing more high end guys making it to campus at a higher rate than before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Good points. I wish we had an emoji for “interesting theory”.....

7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wish we had an emoji - "Debbie Downer".

8. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Here is a story from Baseball America after the 2019 draft discussing aspects of 4 year players, JUCO and HS players in regard to the draft.

Draft System Has Pushed Teams To Pick More College Players

IN a weird 2020 only 33 out of first 100 picks were HS players. 2019 had only 35 and tied with only 2004 for second fewest HS selections.

I spoke with one high level agent who said MLB teams will still take elite HS players but at best they are 25% sure of what type of player they will pan out to be. Conversely, teams feel they are 65% sure of what a college player will be. As teams spend more and more on draft picks they want to make sure they make a sound investment. With 2020 being a down revenue year and 20 round draft I look for it to be college heavy

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 3
  10. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Sitting back and thinking about roster and recruiting class it dawned on me just how many guys are draft eligible this year. Next year could have a 2019 feel to it where we are starting a bunch of young guys to take their lumps.

If I am missing anyone feel free to add but this is the list of draft eligible guys I can think of:

Mace
    Leftwich
    Pogue
    Scott
    Specht
    Leuthje
    Aleman

JY
    Jud
    Acton
    Armstrong
    Calilao
    Kirby
    Butler
    Hickey - draft eligible soph

Not saying all these guys will get drafted or sign free agent deals but it could have a major impact on next year's roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

This list in itself speaks volumes to the level Sully & Company have elevated the Gator Baseball program. We salute everyone involved!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Truer words were never spoken 74 - to think we could lose all of those arms and still have the makings of an outstanding weekend rotation with Barco, Sproat, Nesbitt and Manning coming back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Enjoy them while we can.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. salt72

salt72 Sophomore

Sep 29, 2019
    I believe we will have 21 draft eligible players after next year. I heard this from a scout i do not know off the top of my head who is not on the list.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This makes a whole lot of sense for them regarding pitchers. Young arms should not have to go through long minor league seasons unless they have perfect mechanics. Those guys are rare coming out of high school.

On the other hand everyday players will progress faster with the long minor league seasons. Lots of more reps at the plate against good competition and more reps in the field.

It makes sense for pitchers with talent to go to college and position players with talent to sign right out of high school, assuming they get an acceptable offer. And if they don't get one college ball and summer leagues is a lot of fun even though it doesn't pay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My daughter is married to Jake's oldest brother, he's a great kid, very focused, multi-sport athlete, has some pro baseball bloodlines in family,..will be a good one if he get's on campus.

• Like Like x 4
  17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007