Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Head coaching contracts

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thekentuckygator, Jun 14, 2019 at 9:27 AM.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I believe the debacle known as Willie Taggart will usher in a whole new era of universities being far more cautious about giving lengthy and lucrative contracts to head coaching candidates without a more complete, thorough and vetted process.

FSU’s decisions with respect to this hire has generated problems that will be years in repair. There will be a ripple effect with fans, donors, debt, student body, attendance, revenue. Recruiting obviously.

Other programs are taking note and this could very well be the catalyst that changes the landscape of HC hiring nationwide.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Joaqui

Joaqui Junior

Jul 17, 2016
    I don’t think so. I think every AD believes they are smarter than the rest and found their coach for the future. It’s a pretty good risk to take if you think about it. If you could lock in a coach for 5 years at 5 million a year or so then why not. The risk is 25 million but if he is as good as you expect because thats why you hired him then he very well could demand upwards of 7 or 8 million a year after 3 years.

Worse case scenario you cut ties. Owe him money. And move on to your next coach. From what I remember we were still paying muschamp until recently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

I guess as long as there are coaches out there who make decent-to-good Assistant Coaches, and there are schools who are either desperate or stupid enough to try to not only "steal" away that Ass't Coach with the promise of a long term contract.......

Then we will continue to see the occasional "diamond-in-the-rough" Assistant Coach who becomes a very good Head Coach....OR....
    We'll see many mediocre Head Coaches emerging from the Assistant Coaching ranks....OR......
    We end up with the "freak of nature", an Assistant Coach who is a true "penis-with-feet", a total buffoon of what is VERY loosely called a "Head Coach" (who is more like a Head Case)..... an exemplary model of incompetence, and a walking failure.... YET, so VERY entertaining to thousands of people.

So much for "The Man, The Myth, The Legend" :rolleyes::)...... BUT, on to the OTHER side of "The Hire"...
    As stated above, as long as there's a school who is willing to pull the trigger in desperation to steal an Assistnt Coach from another school, and keep him from going elsewhere.....(and they're working with State funds), then, in their "Brainstorm" (which tuned out to be only a light drizzle) to secure this unproven aforementioned "penis-with-feet" into a long term, stupidly high-paying contract.

So it shows that there ARE schools willing to make total laughingstocks out of themselves...AND
    A word of advice to these schools....
    "Choose wisely, spend lightly, and contract short.... as possible, anyway" :D

4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too much money to be thrown around by P5 schools. No one is slowing down this train. Give it five more years and the top 10 salaries will all be 10M + and everyone behind moving up accordingly.

Willie will be chalked up to a panic move without due diligence, which it was, and is really just the cost of doing business given the circumstances. It's not going to change the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    The only thing worse to a fanbase's pride than hiring a bad coach is losing good to another school. AD's will continue to pretend not to hire bad coaches (signalling confidence with money), and attempt protect themselves from losing good ones (by having giant buyouts).

6. FusionGator

FusionGator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2015
    I wonder where it stops? How high can a head coach's salary and perks go? There has to be a ceiling in there somewhere. There is a breaking point when fans can't/won't pay for tickets, food and drinks at games, jerseys, etc.

No one knows for sure and I'm just thinking out loud. But I do remember when Spurrier cracked the $1 million mark and I thought that was just crazy. Now we are many multiples beyond that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    All I need is one Muschamp or McElwain type contract. Then I would retire from coaching

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Where the pain will be felt is the next level down, the teams like usf, fau, etc that cannot afford a good coach. Get one, he succeeds, he's gone fast. If not so good, a 7-5 coach, he stays for a while and the $$ does not pour in. So the Level 2 programs will take risks on new young coaches (Scott Frost hopefuls) or hire retreads or issue coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I have 4.2 million reasons to believe that FSU's WT debacle will not make AD's more cautious and cause them vet their candidates more carefully for head coaching jobs. Muschamp is my exhibit A of evidence that AD's are more hopeful than smart in most hires. I wish my career failures allowed me to reach that level of compensation.

10. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Excellent point.

11. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I agree in theory. However, for any product, which this basically is, there is a point of market saturation. A ceiling as others have mentioned. We may not be close but there may come a time when the profit does not derive from the investment. Or, perhaps the insanity continues. Lol

12. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    1ECD9708-6194-459A-9ECD-62BC2CDE9F71.png

Just give me Will Muschamps house on Lake Murray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I've gotta be a better salesman or a mediocre head coach.

14. tigator2019

tigator2019 Senior

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Never.
    That is an era you won't see anywhere.
    Next year someone will get hired that people will say,what in the world ...
    Some may say Chip Kelly at 3-9 may be a worse hire.
    Charlie's tenure at Texas was terrible

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:17 PM
  15. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

Nice place.....

Until a hurricane or massive rain producing tropical storm raises that lake level.

16. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I had a relative who lives up in Mass tell me that NFL teams will be looking at character much more closely after the A Hernandez fiasco. (She is not a big football fan.)

Umm, no. IF a guy can play, then character issues will be shrugged off. The guy may fall in the draft, but he's still getting drafted.
    Because others with similar character issues have worked out ok.

Head coaches are the same way. The WT or WM fiasco changed nothing about the CFB business.

"Follow the money."