Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Head Coach or Head Coach & OC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Oct 13, 2021.

1. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    That is definitely a great argument. History is against the dual role head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    think it worked for some guy named spurrier

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree. SOS was the Head Coach and effectively the OC and the quarterback coach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    True.

And as another poster mentioned if you took away play calling maybe Mullen gets better at the other things. However I don’t see him improving with something like recruiting if he doesn’t call plays. Heck, not calling plays may hurt with recruiting

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yes he would be an outlier with 5 SEC titles and 1 natty 90 - 01. The last 20 years there is only 1 other with a natty. Jimbo also won 3 conference titles between 2010-2017.
    lol you can’t read. Last 20 years I said. The game has changed as has college sports. You think I don’t know Spurrier had 5 SEC Championships and 1 natty from 90-01? The point is the vast majority of successful programs over the last 20 years are only head coaches. Feel free to prove that is incorrect. Over the last 20 years only 5% of the natties are from head coaches who are also a coordinator.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spurrier even said in his book that he didn't think the head coach calling plays works in football these days.

7. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree Mullen needs to get his nose out of his laminate play sheet and see what's happening on the field

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    You're wrong. OBC had 7 SEC titles and 1 natty at UF.

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Or you might could say that only 5% of head coaches are good enough coordinators to win at the highest level. Most, like Urban need help with the X’s and O’s. I believe great coaches adapt with the times like Saban has done. The old obsolete Brady keeps winning with no legs too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. phideltgator

phideltgator Senior

Oct 10, 2013
    miami
    How can you express yourself as a bad ass perfectionist coach with no screw up exceptions during the entire game if your drifting around with further responsibilities like calling the offense? This duel ego perception could be confusing to the kids looking up to him.

11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Dan needs better special teams, do we ever get a long return, puts or kickoffs, no. We don’t have elite returners like Brandon James. Do we ever get blocks on Field golds or punts, no. Seems like objective review should be able to work on these things, but no and don’t ask Dan.
    defensive play, prevent style secondary is the norm now at Florida, we can do better, whether getting better secondary coaches or replacing the DC, even though we seemed to be gettin better this year. On offense we need to be balanced but our passing attack needs work. Route running and getting open like Georgia’s little Caucasian flying down the field wide open would be nice and a QB that can lay it in dead on the run. Things to work on. We have some work to do to win National championships. Hopefully we roar the next two games!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Some people didn’t think Spurrier would win an NC without an OC.

Other successful coaches have gone back and forth on calling plays - Richt comes to mind.

Our inconsistency this year makes me think that Brian J was a lot more important to the overall staff than I thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    possibly. But I think it was more Trask.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. eightiesgator

eightiesgator Sophomore

Oct 16, 2017
    Seven titles on the field. The 1990 title doesn't count to the pinheads of the SEC. It (and the titles in 1984 and 1985) counts for me...

But SOS may be right in saying it isn't advisable today. At USCe, his offenses were generally ranked in the 70s and 80s, while his defenses were superb, ranked in the teens or single digits...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1