Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Head Coach or Head Coach & OC

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Oct 13, 2021.

1. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Can a football team compete consistently for championships over a 20 year time period with a head football coach who is also either the OC or DC? When you go back 20 years, in college & the NFL, it is few and far between where the head coach is also the everyday coordinator and they win a title let alone multiple.

I really like Dan Mullen. However, when you look at history, should he consider taking on the HC role only so he can focus on the details of all 3 phases of the game and not just focus on game planning the O? Is his time so focused and stretched as the OC he doesn’t spend enough time on the details of D and ST?
    If I did my research correctly, Florida State is the only college program who had a coordinator who also was the head coach calling the plays since 2000 to win the Natty. Not saying Mullen has no idea what’s going on with the defense or special teams, rather just suggesting based on history, being a head coach and full-time coordinator doesn’t seem like a sustainable long-term plan for success. Looks like you can have some very good teams, win some big games, but the teams in college who have shown the most long term success are those with a true head coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I've always preferred having both a head coach and an offensive coordinator.

The data you pointed out backs up the advantage of this.

Additionally.....can you imagine having Steve Spurrier as our offensive coordinator and Dan stays on as head coach? Or vice-versa! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Dan didn't call the plays for a while. He took it back over a couple years back. Offense has been elite for the most part since.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's simply about where the coach's strengths lie and does that coach hire the right guys to delegate responsibilities elsewhere.

Mullen not acting as OC is a waste of a significant resource would be a major step backward. Problem is that DC and recruiting aren't exactly 'set and forget' status, and until they are the program is unlikely to reach its full potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    When did he not call plays?

6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    It is about focus and the available time. When you get promoted, roles change. Coach subs to take over that role.
    Performing the role of OC, limits the head coaches time to spend on overall QC and management. A side effect is not firing your friends as you don’t have time

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Good post. Mullen imo should hire someone like seider as his OC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tilly

9. tilly

I think the point is Mullen should be the OC and get a better DC. Of course that is my personal interpretation for everything. ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Don’t they all call it together? Last year, I’m pretty sure Brian Johnson was calling the plays with input from the three amigos on every single play.

11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    There is no way play calling by a committee all have QB run up the middle as half of their spinners;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    I think it’s the other way around. That’s why Dan always has the cheat sheet

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I know it is, but last year Dan finally trusted Brian to call the plays from what I recalled.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If he's not game planning and calling plays I think his value drops significantly. Being a true head coach at the level you are talking about is hard to tell with him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    If Mullen isn’t calling plays then what’s the point of having him as HC?

He isn’t a top recruiter, game manager, motivator, assessor of talent, etc.

He is an elite play caller.

Take play calling away he is maybe a G5 head coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty sure Steve called his own plays,...even for a period while at SC.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yeah like I said.....would love to see him here as our offensive coordinator - for that reason alone! :)

18. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Perhaps......he would be better at the things you mentioned......if he had more time & energy to spend on them.

Division of labor kind of thing.

I think that's the point of having more people helping out.....spread out the load......

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Good point and most agree offense is not his teams issues though. It’s really hard to point a finger on exactly why his teams look like they can hang with everyone (Bama & most of TN) then lose to KY and look subpar for a half against Vandy. There are pros and cons with both I guess. Just looking back at history, it says head coaches only are far more superior/successful than those who wear 2 hats.

20. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Well that depends on what year their spinners are from...

• Funny Funny x 1