Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Have we reached all time low for program support?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFUCLawDad, Sep 13, 2018.

1. UFUCLawDad

UFUCLawDad All American

Sep 9, 2010
    Is it just me, or do others feel the same? I have lost that excitement for Gator football after 10 years of uninspired play and continued failed coaches. Some of my friends can't believe I feel this way after over 30 years of season tickets and missing maybe 2 home games over that stretch. Is it my advancing age (59), retirement, becoming a grandparent, or something else. I'm just not into it like I used to be. I feel guilty about it, but my fanatical concern for the program is just not there anymore. I wonder if this 10 year drought has not only tired long time fans, but lost a generation of future fans.

• Agree x 14
    • Informative x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Attendance at college football games seems to have waned all over the place. Ten years in the wilderness has certainly shed any bandwagon fans we had. They will be back when we start winning again. A lot of us miss that vibe we had when the Gators were dominant. If I can sit through 0-10-1, the dickey debacle, etc etc, I can sit through this until we get our act together.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. SwampBrody

SwampBrody All American

Nov 13, 2008
    As I told my buddies, I love my Gators and will watch them play every Saturday, and still go to a couple games a year. But I’m done getting excited about our teams. It only leads to pain and disappointment.

Life is too short to feel disappointment over college students playing a game.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I've had the same problem going all the way back to the Meyer era, so I can't blame it solely on our miserable last eight years. I used to get so worked up about our games, but now I barely watch half of them. And I can't really say I enjoy attending the games either. Meeting people tailgating is fun, but the games themselves really aren't.

Too many things have changed about the game and it's just not the same--for us or for a lot of other fans. Attendance is dropping all over the country.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    winning heals all...

I was just having this conversation with an SC buddy out here. We both were wondering if we'd live long enough to see our programs dominant again and fighting for a natty.

After living through the Dickey years (dismal and depressing at best) it prepared me for pretty much anything. But we've fallen so far backwards is mind-boggling. I really think there is one culprit. Recruiting. Coaching has been suspect at times (ya think?) but we've been out-recruited for years. And when we haven't we've been out-coached.

Then we've had great kids that don't do squat, leave here and are superstars...maybe we need to burn sage around the athletic dorms. Must be some funky chit goin on!

I like Mullen-I just hope he doesn't get run out of town. Let him build the dream and they will come...

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    10 years of a poor product does create fan malaise

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Yes. Find it difficult to travel and spend $1000 for a weekend to watch an uninspiring offense that has trouble scoring points and a defense that gives up 200 plus yards rushing per game for the last year or so. If you show me an exciting offense that can score points versus SEC and FSU, I will show up again. Time will tell

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  8. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Winning is fun...but with so much losing, we're able to gain proper perspective: It's just a form of entertainment at the end of the day (one we LOVE, for sure!).

HS football participation is at an all time low (officially), so I'm guessing the experience of college and NFL football will be different in 10+ years...perhaps completely different. Kids today don't really care about football like they did 20+ years ago.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    Some of the pop warner teams in Orlando can hardly field a team. Too much time required for practice and then the games are in the middle of the day on Sat........ who wants that. 8 hr practice during school nights. Intense practices by some of the coaches. Way too much risk of injury. Baseball is much more popular esp among white kids.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    But there has to be something to drive the ‘fantasy football leagues’

Really as for dropping attendance I blame advances in AC and HDTV.

11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just charge it to Antonio Callaways credit card!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Years ago I watched the NFL, back in the Denver Orange crush years. Then watched quite a bit with Tebow. Very exciting. Now I couldn't give a crap about all that nonsense.

The multitasking world of social media and short attention spans sends people in new directions. If we have the big games, we're doing well...people will pack the Swamp. Put a crappy suspect unit on the field, people would rather avoid the melee.

I'm worried thuggery and overspending will eventually cripple some institutions. They'll have to release lions and Gators onto the field to bring the crowds back. Resurrect the days of the coliseum! Then a moment of silence as the university president, adorned with robes, gives the thumbs down to a cheering rabid crowd.

Go Gators...

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    After last weekend, I have heard a lot of "same chit different day," from Gator fans.

The UK loss seems to have dampened optimism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    "Through All Kinds of Weather" for me. But dang, for ten years the weather has been only one kind. And I ain't gittin any younger!
    Go Gators!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Win, lose, or draw.

My enthusiasm knows no bounds.

My enthusiasm never wains.

[​IMG]

• Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 7
    • Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  16. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Enthusiasm does not mean attendance, making the trip, getting hotel, parking,etc...

...paying to watch the same lousy re-run movie over and over and over and over and over and over again gets old.

The college game has become an exceedingly expensive endeavor to attend. You can't continuously feed paying fans chit sandwiches for years on end. Watching Muschamp and Mac teams was mind numbing .

The UF/UK game was like a funeral at the end. It was awful ... it was NOT heart and hustle or "relentless effort." It was closer to "relented effort." And that Dog wont hunt with UF fans. UF can lose games and the fans will hang in if the kids are busting their humps. Lethargy will empty the Swamp in a ny minute.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think age has a lot to do with it. 66 yrs old here and I would rather sit at home with a cold beer, cigar and be able to watch some good teams play after our game. Lost some of my excitement for team also. I like Mullen and think he will get the job done, but the past 8 or so years have created less of a desire to be there. The lack of off has definitely caused a big drop in interest for me !!! Go Gators!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BanditGator

BanditGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You are not alone. There had to be 25K empty seats last Saturday. I was there. I did not feel the buzz nor excitement that Gator Football used to generate.
    For me, I’m angry at the damage done to the brand since Meyer. Arrests, poor off field actions, early departures, transfers,bad quarterback recruiting, dropping quality in recruits and very poor coaching hires.
    I’m on board with Dan; 100%; and he needs 3-5 years to get us back on track. Will that bring back fans? I don’t know.
    We are graduating thousands of students per year who have had no interest in the program.thats going on a decade now. That does not bode well for the future.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I grew up in Gainesville and sold sodas at the stadium during games while I was in HS (pretty good money actually). Been attending games since the 0-10-1 days. Graduated from UF as well, and have been a passionate fan for 35 years. When I lived in FL after graduation, I always went to the home games and usually a big road game or two for better part of a decade. Was lots of fun during SOS heydays. I've lived all over the country since then (FL, GA, OH, IL, AZ, WA) and usually watched games live with whatever local Gator Club had game day get togethers at the local sports bar. I still have season tickets, but haven't been to a game in the Swamp in more than 5 years (my mom uses my tickets). Not willing to fly across the country to watch the product on the field during the Muschamp/McNuss dark ages, and won't be back until games against our top rivals are exciting again.

Now that I live on the left coast, I generally record the games (and ignore my phone) until it's convenient for me to watch and fast forward thru the commercials or crappy play. Would love to take my high school age kids to a game in the swamp so they could see rockin' SEC action and get immersed in the environment I fondly remember. Appears we're several years away from recapturing the magic (if we ever do), so in the meantime, I'll keep watching on TV. I agree that there is a macro level lack of interest building for football. I've quit watching the NFL, and neither of my kids care a lick about football of any kind. To be honest, I enjoy my kids' high school football the most. There are no commercials and the kids are passionate. Kinda like the difference between minor league baseball and MLB.

Those of you who spend time here on GC know that I'm a reasonably active poster and have been for a while - I'll come back to the swamp when the team is competitive and exciting again. Can't justify spending the kids' college tuition money to turn up in person. Until then I'll live vicariously through those who do.

Your mileage may vary :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Not sure what the lowest attendance game has been since the stadium was expanded to 91k. I bet the game this Sat afternoon will be less than that though.

• Agree Agree x 1