Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Have we ever been considered an "Elite Program"?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by grant1, Feb 26, 2020.

1. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I think not. We've had some elite teams, but they are too far apart to be considered an elite program. Prior to the championship team, we had a spell of 5 years, I think, where we had good seeding, but were bumped out of the tournament in the first weekend. Following the championship runs, we had 3 years of NIT, NIT, first round NCAA loss. An elite program does not 4 years to rebuild. I think we then went to 3 straight Elite 8s and a Final 4, but followed up with a losing season. Two more NITs then an Elite 8.

Anyone else see a pattern here? We have good runs followed by average to poor spells. Would a true elite program have such dry spells?

That said, I believe we have the 2nd best program in the SEC, but then again, we are a football conference. We can hold our own with other conferences, but we still lack elite programs.

The point of all this is that maybe we, myself included, are expecting too much of CMW. He's delivering just what we have proven we are capable of for the last 20 years, that being a good/solid hoops program, but not great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    There are only a handful of "elite" programs. Kansas. Duke. Kentucky. UNC (and look what happened to them). UCLA used to be THE elite program (and look what happened to them).
    I lump the Gators into a 2nd-tier level with a bunch like Arizona, Michigan State, Michigan, Louisville, Syracuse, and 7 or 8 others. We are at a level where we should be in the NCAAT almost every year, which is no small feat. Teams in this group will occasionally drop off but be back the following season.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Yes 2nd tier of elite programs, at least in the last 2 decades.

whether we can hold that status remains to be seen

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not by the snobs and geeks at Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina.
    But screw them all.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I think it could also be said that there’s a difference between elite programs and elite recruiting. That 4-year drought would not have happened at a blue blood and/or pay for play program - because they would simply reload with a bunch of 5* McD after losing top players, while our recruiting didn’t spike after winning back to back NCs. Duke never had that problem because they just reloaded, much like UK does every year. UNC might suck this year but they have the most McD recruits of any team next year coming in

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I think its hard to label any one thing as making a team "elite" - not saying y'all are though.

Some teams have elite recruiting for a while, like Baylor for a while, but lack elite results. Some teams have elite appearing programs or histories or a brand name but lack recent elite results. Other teams have elite results but lack the other "elite" stuff.

I think elite is a combination of results, national perception/attention, fan support, history and university support in terms of priority and $ allocated. I think a team is elite when they're strong in enough of those areas - despite this being far from a scientific definition.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Would be interesting to see each poster's criteria for elite and then each team that the poster thinks meets that criteria. I'll try to add mine later. I think we'll get a wide range of what is considered "elite" or an extremely small group of teams (4-6) that consistently qualify as elite.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    to players...

9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Compare our titles and other results to most other programs in the country. Only a VERY small group of schools boast better.

Yes, we are an elite program. Maybe not tier 1, but we're fairly close.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    I think a team that wins back to back National Championships with multiple other elite 8 finishes and plays in the post season for 17 years in a row (or whatever the number was) is Elite. Some schools are more Elite but I can't imagine there are too many who can match Florida's success over the last 15-20 years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. gatordd

gatordd Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    No... top of 2nd tier? Yes.

12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    You must assume the same for elite football teams too I take it.

13. Managator

Managator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The elite teams are usually considered to be the schools that do not play football very well or not at all. Thus basketball is the main sport on campus. Some exceptions would be many teams in the Big 12, Florida, Michigan State, Ohio State. The elite still are considered Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas (great football?) as well as the schools that do not play big time football.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It is Gale Sayers alma mater.

15. Gatorbait33

Gatorbait33 Senior

Apr 1, 2012
    No and our lack of fan support will always keep us from entering the top tier. The good news is it's much easier to win it all outside the top tier in basketball compared to football.

16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We are not an elite program. We are more of a pica program.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    There are but a handful of schools that can match the success over the last 20-25 years. As far as I'm concerned that made us elite. Hell we had a stretch where we went to the Elite 8 or better in 6 out of 9 years, we'd have to be considered elite for that stretch at a minimum.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    No.

19. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    There is a difference between elite and blue blood. Blue bloods are the schools like North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, etc that have a long history of winning. UCLA and Indiana not so much lately. Elite schools are the level just below the blue bloods like Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, etc just to name a few. All schools have ups and downs, even traditional blue bloods like Indiana are UCLA are struggling to regain their status among the blue bloods. Florida, much like jeffphillips says and I agree with him, had risen to elite level under Donovan. Only time will tell if they can stay there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Where would UConn and Villanova fit in?