Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Have ideas for baseball rules gone too far? Stealing 1st base!!

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by iowagator, Jul 15, 2019.

1. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Well it happened! 1st base was stolen!

Minor leagues use a speed up tie-breaker rather than playing the game out. The stealing of 1st base happened in the Atlantic League which is trying out some new rules for MLB.

Too much?

From the article:

A batter has stolen first base for the first team in baseball history.

Yes, you read that right. On Saturday, an Atlantic League batter stole first base, marking the first time the feat has ever been accomplished.

During the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs’ game against the Lancaster Barnstormers, Tony Thomas became the first player to ever steal first.

Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.

Atlantic League batter steals first base for first time in pro baseball history

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^^

Too much sugar for a nickel......

Instead of playing the game, trickery???

I’ll pass.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I don't even like the dropped third strike rule.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Or even the swing and miss strike three that gets by the catcher and is called a wild pitch....if it’s a strike then how’s it a wild pitch? (I get it if it’s airmailed and the hitter’s smart enough to swing and haul a$$) but outside that.....

Make up your mind.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The catcher usually gets the putout on a strike out by catching the ball cleanly. If the catcher does not catch it cleanly then the runner is either forced out at first or tagged out if first base is open or if their are two outs. The rule where you don't have to cleanly catch the ball with first based occupied and less than two outs makes sense if you also understand the infield fly rule.

6. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I don't even like the infield fly rule.

Just kidding, but maybe you could explain what you mean by the relationship between the two.

If a swinging strike three were an out, regardless of whether the catcher catches the ball cleanly, how would that impact the infield fly rule?

7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Not catching strike three and it being an out would be like all pop ups are out caught or not.

The infield fly rule is designed so that missing the ball on purpose does not allow the defense to convert a double play by not catching a ball. If we require a "clean play" (catch, tag, or force at first) to make the put out for a strike out, then if there is a dropped third strike (where the batter can advance to first) it could set up a force play at second if first base is occupied. And if executed well it could result in a double play. Again the rule not requiring a catch in certain situations is very much like the infield fly rule.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I get what you are saying from a rules purest point of view. And I understand the purpose of the "no runner on first base or two outs" qualification to the dropped third strike, because that's exactly like the infield fly rule.

But most casual fans consider that a batter gets a maximum of three missed swings and then the batter is out. Seems like that might be good to have as the actual rule, without regard to the catcher cleanly catching the ball.

9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree if we then change the rules so that the pitcher gets the put out and not the catcher for a clean catch or tag or whoever is covering first for a force out or tag.

10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I like it. I know it isn’t a popular opinion (at least with this group) but baseball is “a game of throw and CATCH”. You can’t catch, you should be punished. Pitchers that are that errant or catchers that are that lazy should be punished.

As for a dropped strike 3, I don’t like rewarding a swing and miss but catch the d... ball and we don’t have a conversation here.

The other thing I like about it is every pitch is now “live” even if not swung at. Kind of a fun twist. The game is about entertainment and that strikes me as entertaining. Odd for sure but quirky rather than stupid.