Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Has administration learned its lesson?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator10, Dec 31, 2022.

1. lorigatormom

lorigatormom Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    1. It's not cheating anymore, it's play the game or lose. it's time to face facts. and 2. I'm obviously not saying our admin controls NIL, and I never said that. Admin controls $$$$ into football program resources and they've been publicly and proudly reluctant to play that game for years. and that's a legitimate choice, one that many posters here seem to agree with, except those posters also want elite recruiting and wins. can't have it both ways. 3. and yes, our admin facilitates NIL money, it doesn't materialize out of nowhere, these are public legal deals regarding UF athletes so they are at some level involved.

2. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    your friend works for the UF Administrations Office? How much are they involved in athletics other than actual admissions? It’s been my perception that the Administrations is hands off and this thread pissing should be directed at the athletic department (and president to a lesser degree).

If the Administration office is involved and a hindrance, the UAA should cease their annual multimillion $ donations and redirect that to fund NIL in an indirect manner. Reduce Bull Gator costs so they can fund NIL. I believe they donate millions every year since I was in school (83 grad).

3. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I guess then that Florida played with dirty hands when Steve and Urban were here.

4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Personally, I believe that UF caught lightning in a bottle when Spurs came here. The NCAA was in almost an unprecedented era where they were investigating (and actually penalizing) a lot of the top usual suspect programs (Bama), the SEC was a slow, stodgy league in 1989 that had not embraced a pass heavy, Pro style of play, and there were not a bevy of great coaches in the league. Hell they even had players like that LB that transferred from Bama asking where he needed to go to pick up his truck after he transferred here and Spurrier writing Dubose about some of his violations. I think the program was pretty clean.

You can make your own assumptions about Urban. I know I do.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    If you are equating dirty hands to winning then Florida's gymnastics, volleyball, track, swimming, tennis, softball, and baseball hands must be filthy.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Spurrier's timing was perfect. The league was in transition from old school (Dye, Majors, Dooley) to the new school (Spurrier, Fulmer, etc).

He was a once in a lifetime coach, hate to say it. We won't have another like him again. Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did back in the day.

Someone made a comment about the smaller sports. Playing field there is a bit more level and favors us because we put more money into them than many others. Those sports did benefit from the success of football. Sadly, football gets neglected in return under the mistaken assumption that it can take care of itself quite fine with minimal investment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. friendlyvol

friendlyvol Sophomore

Jan 1, 2023
    Southeast Tennessee
    Incompetent administrations can destroy a football program Tennessee 2008-2020 and Auburn are two excellent examples.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    Not exactly sure what you mean by asking if they learned their lesson.

But, CBN had many demands to come here, which he talked about, and UF gave him everything he wanted. Total coaching Salaries are higher than ever. The number of support staff is unprecedented for us. The nutrition situation is vastly improved. Housing. Athlete parking, etc.

All sports at UF are given what they need to be successful. However, administration at UF is not going to just enter the wild west free-for-all like the Bamas and Georgias do.

Football and basketball might bring in a pile of money, but it's still chump change when compared to the billion dollar annual research dollars coming in.

THAT is where they are willing to pull out all of the stops, recruit, and flex the rules to be elite.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    And we won 2 of those big bowl games. I don't know why some are acting like it was so long ago. lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. tommyuf21

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess there is nothing wrong, we should have kept Mullen and seen how low he would have taken us.

11. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Not the point of my post. The point is everyone is panicking like we can't return to that level when we literally just had a 3-year run of New Year's Six Bowls. Reading some of these posts, you would think we've been going 6-7 10 years straight.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    TCU didn’t buy their playoff spot so it can be done. There are some programs out there overpaying for sure though

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tommyuf21

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, but the trend lines have been bad and our #1 conference rival is having historic success. 4 losing seasons since 2012 and back to back losing seasons for the first time since Jimmy Carter was POTUS.

That's enough bad news to make a lot of people nervous that we've become a moribund program.

I have hope that Napier's plan will be successful and return us to at least 9-10 win seasons that should be commonplace. Making the move to elite will be much more difficult as Bama and Georgia are going nowhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. friendlyvol

friendlyvol Sophomore

Jan 1, 2023
    Southeast Tennessee
    Tennessee is also returning to where they were from 1989-2007 :emoji_sunglasses:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I'm talking about the here and now. It's a new world with Nils and the portal.

16. friendlyvol

friendlyvol Sophomore

Jan 1, 2023
    Southeast Tennessee
    The total changes with players being paid and absence of transfer rules anymore means you can rebuild a program almost overnight if you have the money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    If the school s/be involved then whose job is it to coordinate the NIL, the prez?, the AD?, the HC?, or one of those 50K/yr analysts ? Just wondering so I know who to blame if we come up short.:cool:

As for "competing", sounds like some here prefer the Colombia cocaine drug lord model to the kid on the corner selling pot. Go big or go home. :eek:

18. friendlyvol

friendlyvol Sophomore

Jan 1, 2023
    Southeast Tennessee
    Alabama's Nick Saban has used the Columbian drug lord model since 2007

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    From what I understand it wasn’t so much the admin but the boosters Kirby had to get to the next level that it was t business as usual anymore.

20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I certainly agree and is why I disagree with those that compare Napier's challenge to that of Charlie Pell. Much easier to rebuild and be competitive these days with the right coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1