Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Has administration learned its lesson?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator10, Dec 31, 2022.

1. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    As we sit here on New Year’s Eve and watch teams like Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee compete in major bowl games while the gators are relegated to a meaningless second tier bowl game, I wonder if the administration has learned how important it is to invest the program and hire top tier coaches. I believe Napier was a good hire but I feel we fell way behind prior to his hiring. Napier has a yeoman’s job ahead of him so we must be patient and get behind him. This mess ultimately falls on the ADs and presidents. They must have more of a commitment to compete at the top level.

• Agree x 9
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I need to ask one simple question??
    What big time coach was going to take the Florida job ?? Nobody! These guys know.

• Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    Are you kidding? The UF job is still one of the 10 best jobs in the country even with our problems. Most of our issues are self inflicted.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    No.

5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    If you want to get behind Napier begin by stopping all the bitching and whining.

• Winner x 27
    • Come On Man x 8
    • Best Post Ever x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The next change we make is Stricklin.

• Agree x 15
    • Disagree Bacon! x 11
    • Winner x 5
    • Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  7. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Very well said 96. Way too much griping on this site. Those who pay any attention knew Napier was brought in for a complete rebuild, not bringing the program back to it's most recent glory. Mullen was the last attempt at those days and we saw how that worked out. Those days are long gone. The path to glory days will be a long one and new one with how the landscape of college football has changed. It will be at least two or three more seasons before we can even think about a 'top tier' bowl. Complaining about anything right now is just not productive. We are all going to need to exercise a huge amount of patience the next few years. I think the administration did exactly what needed to be done by going out and getting a very well respected up and coming coach who had established himself as being capable of building a program from the ground up. Our job as fans is going to be to recognize the plan and understand our part is to be patient.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    • Agree x 15
    • Like x 5
    • Optimistic x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator

Sep 15, 2007
    In fact, one of the very first things Coach Napier said when addressing all Gators was, "Please be patient."

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    So questioning anything about the program is bitching and whining. Interesting point of view.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 3
  11. llm85

llm85 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2011
    Naples
    Second tier bowl game???!!! You’re very generous.

• Funny Funny x 21
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Gator10, report to Foley’s office for assimilation

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    It depends on what you’re questioning. If you’re questioning something as innocuous as a call on 3rd and 3 from midfield, that’s one thing. If you’re questioning a promising young coach whose blueprint involves gutting the program and starting from the bottom, rather than applying band aids and taking 2 aspirin, no. Hell no!
    At some point we need to get our energy and heart behind the rebuild or just try and be positive for two seasons and then if things don’t show improvement AFTER THAT, one can have the satisfaction of saying, I told you so.
    My wife of 50 years recites to me often: “ patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man”. I know I’m impatient but, compared to some posters on this site I feel like I have the patience of Job.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    • Like x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. DDG8orman

DDG8orman Sophomore

Dec 31, 2008
    Dude - we played in three NY6 bowls in a row the last the 5 years. I’m not happy with the last 2 years either, but get your facts straight.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    OP - the administration has cycled thru 3 coaches looking for the right coach. They have paid tens of millions in buyouts. UF is widely criticized for being too quick to fire. The new facilities, albeit belated, are top level.

Not sure how you question their commitment to “invest”. I think one can fairly question their judgement/acuity, but I do think they are trying, but failed with the last 3 hires. Just not sure who we should have, and as importantly could have, hired if the administration was “more committed?” I think Napier was a good hire and we will all know by year 3.

One could argue that Mullen is a really good coach and the administration should have done 2 things. Forced him to fire grantham and given him $/edict to hire a great recruiting asst head coach. Might have fixed it but who knows if Dan would’ve gone along so not sure it is fair to say the administration failed?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    UF is not criticized for firing too quick. If anything they are criticized for lack of investment in coaches and the program

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    This is a problem that has been years in the making. The Football program was neglected for almost 20 years since the new boxes and Champions Club level was approved. Foley, Machen, and Fuchs we’re more interested in winning President’s Cups than in funding the foundation of it all; Men’s Football.

If you don’t like the state of affairs with our football program then I hope you were not one of fans who cheered this past season when the most overrated AD (current or past) was honored at the game this season.

• Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  18. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Yeah, can't remember the last time Florida was in a new years 6 game. Or was it 2018, 2019 and 2020?

I like a good rant as much as the next guy but getting to big bowl games hasn't been an issue. Now, performance in the bowl games is a different story but much of that is attributable to the fact all our players sit out, which can be fixed by not recruiting me first celebration queens.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf All American

Jun 20, 2022
    We are great for the future. Billy Napier is the man. It is a future so bright, brighter than anything we have ever seen, and our best years have yet to come.

Through all kinds of weather.......

I love The University of Florida. Outside of my family, nothing means more to me than The University of Florida, to which I owe for everything I have.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    None of it led to any consistent success. Mullen refused to take advantage of any momentum that might have been gained by those three seasons.

Looking back, those season's were mirages, especially 2020 which ended with 3 consecutive losses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1