Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Has a coordinator ever had fans in this much of an uproar?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thetrooper, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    As I recall, that was created after a few games of a slow and predicable offense. But it got back on track.

2. Potzer01

Potzer01 VIP Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again

The joke was because it was predictable in 08, the joke wasn't that it wasn't good or didn't work. I would argue that this year was extremely similar play calling wise.

Slant to Toney, Post to Pitts, Go route to anybody, rinse and repeat. Seems like you call em because they work, not because thats all ya got.

3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably the dumbest criticism of a coach ever on the interwebz, though it looks like some are trying to top it around here at the moment.

4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. NoviG8r

NoviG8r Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    1989 game at Auburn. IIRC, Donald Douglas only completed one pass all night. One of his misses was to Monty Duncan (?) early in the game. I was sitting in row 4 of the corner of the endzone and I was closer to him than any Auburn defender when he dropped the pass! We wound up losing in the last minute of the game when the Auburn QB tossed a TD pass to beat us 10-7.

6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I remember the busted coverage giving them the winning TD. Last time Pat Dye won a game against us. Last time he was even close.

7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yes

8. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    He won Conf-USA coach of the yr this year!

Crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You know I have to chime in, and let's face it, even last year there were several moments when we had to wonder whether we were watching a Gator defense on the field. We suffered through several years of an inept offense, bringing in gurus and watching a revolving door of quarterbacks.

We knew however, that we had talent, and that with the right coaching, we could restore the offense to its former glory. We accomplished that. Watching what I have seen in the past two years on defense reminds me of the early days of the slide in our offense.

We were all in denial. After all, it was the aftermath of Spurrier "run and gun" and Myer's "chomp and stomp" offenses. Many of us are in denial now. However, if someone would put a compilation of all of the multiple missed tackles over the pass two seasons, the verdict will come in on Grantham's viability.

It has gotten to the point with our defense where you almost know that the first person who contacts the ball handler is going to whiff. That is an ugly feeling when a three yard loss turns into a 8 yard gain, or a three yard gain into a touchdown.

The talent is there. The fundamentals clearly aren't. If a coaching staff cannot coach basic fundamentals at a program like Florida, then they are not Florida material PERIOD!

Time for a change. Time to bring in someone who knows the expectations and who can recruit the ballas who, when coached properly won't whiff. Just as we grabbed Mullen from the past, it is time to make Strong an offer to become DC again. This would complete the cycle and bring us back to where we need to be in 21-22. I honestly don't see Alabama beating OSU. OSU is well coached and has as much talent as Saban's team. Alabama is going to have to start reckoning with the post Saban era soon. That leaves the SEC open for another giant to emerge. With a solid DC and an offensive line that is only going to get better than it was this year, we can become the mauling program that our mascot symbolizes.

10. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not so sure. I don't see too many people defending our pathetic D at this point. It's bad. REALLY bad.

11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I am usually viewed as the pessimist of the board when it comes to assessment of our coaching. Grantham has had two years to rectify the problem, and has not been able to get our players to master basic fundamentals.

12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    The Dazzler

13. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    The Fire Hoke was pretty bad, but it was in another era.

Spurrier was so beloved and we hardly had any negative things said about coaching in those days. It got to be where even SOS got criticized and Hoke was the spark that started it.

Sure folks made complaints while SOS was the coach, but saying things bad about him were forbidden on the forums and Hoke started it.

SOS made some reference to the fans when he left about winning not being fun anymore.

14. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    True our D was bad but I attribute a lot of that on the players themselves with all of the posing and choreographed BS when they make a play. It's all about themselves individually and not the team as it should be. Coaches need to grow a set and discipline this BS. No more standing with folded arms saying "look at me!" Go back to the day when you made the play and give the ball to the official. NUFF SAID!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    We gave up on on average more that 30ppg. He deserves every bit of criticism that comes his way and if he is here next year Mullen will deserve every bit he gets as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Well said and it’s absolutely insane thing to do right now. Fundamentals is what killed us more than the scheme. A well put together fjndjngeally gold Grantham defense will give nightmares to opposing offenses. I’ve see. He.

17. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Nope. 2009 was when UF was ranked #1 all season even though the offense sucked. It was so predictable that the kid sat in front of me during the 09 season would call the play before it was ran.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Then line up your criticism. Grantham is back.

19. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    My question is this - if, in 2021, Grantham's D reverts to the mean, where the stats are OK but they get torched on 3rd down by good QBs and we end up 9-3 -- then what?

When do the excuses stop? Grantham has been around a long time and his stats tell a story. And that story ain't great.

Mullen retains Grantham....but is that the right decision? - Read and Reaction

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That year was so tough to watch , addazio was so out of his depth it was disturbing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1