Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Has a coordinator ever had fans in this much of an uproar?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thetrooper, Jan 1, 2021.

1. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd imagine CDM has enough to go on that he feels it's reasonable that Grantham can get it done, since he has now tied himself very directly to that outcome.

It may also be a factor of who else is/is not available to replace Grantham, and perhaps a bit of regret for letting the players talk him into Gray when he may not have been a fit.

Hopefully it works out, but Grantham is going to need to re-evaluate and adjust to an atypical degree for it to be a possibility.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    These coordinators that poster are mentioning were below average. But none of them were coordinators of a unit that was the worst in 60+ years or however many years its been. None of their units were consistently late in lining up and all the other obvious problems ASSociated with Todd. ( you all see what I did in that last sentence!)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Yes, the units weren't "there" on time. I get jokes.

4. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Whomever was our OC in 2012 comes close, but he wasn't in year 3 or paid $1.8mil/year so I think TG takes the cake. The fact that this was year 3 and in a shortened offseason where that should have benefited us along with his salary just makes this too tough to swallow. Honestly if Mullen backs him I don't even want Mullen. He has done well bringing us back to relevance, but his clock management, recruiting and lack of a spine after losses has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. To add to that by backing the biggest issue our team had this year is just crazy. And to the people that are going to say we were top10 last year... look at our schedule. Who did we play that was good at offense? We feasted on Towson, TN Martin, Vandy, Mizzou, Tennessee, FSU and Auburn (Bo Nix first away start), gave UVA, SC, LSU and UGA basically whatever they wanted and played average against Miami and Kentucky. What is so special about that? We still saw our DBs playing 8 yards off uncomfortably and saw CJ Henderson, a top10 pick, get burned plenty because of our scheme. Fire Grantham or they can both go imo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Was Bob Stoops Spurrier’s first big time DC? Mullen needs a Stoops-like DC to win the big one.

6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spurrier had a lot of DC's

1990 Jim Bates..left for the NFL
    Ron Zook 1991-1993..demoted to Special Teams coach
    1994-95 Bob Pruiett..left for Marshall, rumor being he was encouraged to get out
    1995* Ron Zook..Zook was promoted back to DC but then left for the NFL
    1996-1998 Bob Stoops...left for some cow school.
    1999-2001 Jon Hoke..recommended by Stoops, Spurrier liked him (he hired him later at USCe) but did make some comments about the D needing to get better or Hoke would end up coaching tight ends.

That's 5 guys in 12 years, obviously "continuity" didn't matter much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Stoops didnt recommend Hoke as his replacement at DC, he recommended him as a DB coach.

Spurrier was pursuing Bud Foster at the time and Foster took his sweet time getting back with Spurrier becasue Foster didn't want to leave WVU.

Spurrier got impatient and impulsively hired Hoke.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Potzer01

Potzer01 VIP Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again
    Around 2010 when Mullen brought MSU to the swamp and beat us on homecoming. People were ready to fire Urban, and ritually murder vitamin A.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think the reason that people are so mad at Grantham despite being comparably incompetent to guys like Pease, Roper (both of these are really Muschamp's fault), and Nuss on offense, is because we know that Mullen is the right guy who is capable of hiring the right guy but is loyal to a fault. We know that Grantham is the biggest obstacle to an SEC and National Championship.

Mullen's system works. Mullen's hired defensive coordinators whose systems worked and would work at Florida. Grantham just happens to not be one of those guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Grantham has never been an elite defensive mind and every fanbase who has had him for more than 1 year has had the same complaints as we're having now.

He's just not good.

He'll have some gems, sure. I think he's won us some games since we've had him. He's also lost us some games and will continue to do so every year. That's just who he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. capnpen

capnpen Freshman

May 28, 2007
    I do think Grantham works in the short term. He turned Georgia's D around, then turned it into a dumpster fire. He took a great Louisville D and kept it competitive before going to Mississippi State, where he took a terrible defense and made it more than aggressive. Then he came to Florida's mess and got us going in the right direction. But then this year came along and revealed all of Grantham's warts. The question is, does he deserve a chance to fix his own mess, or is his mess too big for fix on his own? I'm betting that Mullen gives him the shot, and we'll have to cross our fingers and pray that Grantham is better than we think he is.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NoviG8r

NoviG8r Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    Off the top of my head, Lynn Amadee, Ed Zaunbrecher, Addazio, Charlie Weis, on offense. Jon Hoke ondefrense comes to mind.

13. capnpen

capnpen Freshman

May 28, 2007
    Addazio and Nussmeier drove me CRAZY. Especially Addazio. On every freaking play he'd have his Heisman-winning QB bring the offense to the line and then look to the sidelines for an eternity getting Addazio's check-off play. And half of the time it seemed like the check-off was a hand-off that went for two yards.

14. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Last time it was Nuss. You know ... find somebody clearly better or keep him and get it fixed. Not complicated. Fans don't like him, so what.

15. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Email Stricklin and demand a change.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Stricklin may be busy finding a new head coach if the Jets offer to CDM. Not out of question now is it?

17. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    That's it. I brought this up when Mullen was hired, because people seemed to forget the fans weren't always happy with him.

But clearly he learned a lot since then. He is a good playcaller now IMO.

18. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe he was a good playcaller then too. Is there any OC who would not have dialed up Percy and Tebow more often if they had both of those weapons? Maybe Nuss??

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Didn't one of our WRs drop a sure TD pass in one of the first plays of that game?

20. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    When is the last time we had a Hoke thread?