Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Harold Baines?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Dec 13, 2018.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I saw recently that he made the Hall of Fame and then pundits spewed a lot of hate.

I recall seeing him play in person for years for some really crappy White Sox teams. In his youth he had HOF written all over him. He wasn't going to get huge numbers back then because he had nobody to protect him in the lineup and yet put up really good numbers.

And then he had knee injuries.

Even with that he was close to 3000 hits and 400 homers for his career just falling a little short in each. He didn't have as many homers as Ernie Banks but he had a lot more hits. And he didn't play at Wrigley which is pretty much a phone booth for homers.

Could it be that he was very quiet and not as sportscaster friendly as Mr. Cub? (Ernie did have about four years in the middle of his career that were outstanding and maybe those four years are why he is in the HOF and not his career numbers.)

I really don't know if Harold Baines deserved the HOF nod. He was a really good player. You could make a case either way. And he was voted in by contemporary baseball pros and not sportswriters so I have some respect for that. But the hate from pundits was horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Agreed @ GatorLurker—

I always thought he was solid across the board—

AND steroid-free.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    He did play for most of his career in an era where homers were scarce. Lots of years something in the 30's was enough to have the most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have no problem at all with his selection.

Good for him!

5. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

The HOF in all sports has become a joke IMO. It's supposed to be for generational or all-time greats, but has turned into "really good" or "put up good numbers.". I won't even go into the political aspect. To be honest, I've completely lost interest and didn't even know he was nominated.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    So one every ten years or so get in?

• Funny Funny x 1