Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Harbaugh

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cyberdyne, Dec 4, 2021.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Not completely a one year wonder but remember OSU is coming back to the pack and the conference has 2 really good teams at most.

2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Im with you on the incentive contract, but mostly because it feels better from the school’s side to only pay for success.

From the coach’s side, I’m pretty skeptical that they will work harder for 7 mil than 5 mil. First, if someone is paying you 4-5 million, I don’t see how you don’t already feel max pressure to succeed. But more importantly, head coaches at the highest level of college football only got there because they were all-out obsessed with winning. Losing hurts the thing that matters the most: their status and identity. Not to mention the players to which they are bonded.

I know this incentive year was Michigan’s best year in a while, but I don’t think that single correlation shows causation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    2022 class so far is ranked 13th

2021 - 13th
    2020 - 14th
    2019 - 8th
    2018 - 22nd
    2017 - 5th
    2016 - 8th
    2015 - 37th

As you can see, his recruiting is all over the map. Seems he's done better with good players than when he had Top 10 classes. His 1st season was awful but it might have had to do with missing a recruiting cycle because they hired him on Dec 30th, 2014. Not much time to put together a good class. Jumped to 8th the next year, then 5th in Year 3. But since then, only 1 Top 10 class.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    He knows how to pick a winner...

5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    A more than far assessment

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Been 56 years since Uga and Michigan have played each other.

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

One season wonder because they have 10 or 11 "super seniors" starting for them right now so they'll be gutted next season.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    In a weird way I am actually happy for Harbaugh. He's been beaten up by the media and the fans for years. Congrats to him for making the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Good point! Maybe the collages should offer incentives instead of a guarantee buyout.
    Incentives for winning seasons of eight or more wins. The more wins the bigger the bonus. Incentives for Bowl Game wins, end of season ranking, conference championships, national championships, for top ranking recruiting classes, and increasing the buyout price.

Also, deductions in compensation for loosing seasons, poor recruiting classes, NCAA sanctions, and a lowering of the buyout price.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Or......"Is Harbaugh's salary paying off - or is this a one season wonder?" might be a more informative thread title. Thanks!

11. evermoresg

evermoresg All American

Sep 4, 2009
    RIP 29th Street
    The parallels between him and Spurrier at their respective schools are many, including fanbases. The man is an excellent coach.

12. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    That 2017 class is seniors now. They probably had a great hit rate on that class. I know also a few 2016 players used the. Covid-19 rule to,play an extra year.

13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Methinks he has been a quality football coach who hasn't gotten the college game, at least what he has to do to be champion of the B1G. Has he given them value? Not in my book, but it appears like he is FINALLY getting it. We shall see next year.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. oleg8r

oleg8r Sophomore

Dec 31, 2013
    california
    I like Harbaugh because he is an offbeat character who says what flashes across his mind and doesn't give much of a damn if the PC police get their undies in a knot.
    I kind of like Orgeron as well.
    It's a crazy game, and it is only fitting that there be a few crazy people in the sport's aristocracy. There are more than enough coachspeak Nellies tiptoeing around to stay off of thin ice.
    That does not mean I would want either as the HFC of the Gators..
    BTW, for a guy who doesn't care about Bowl Games, Harbaugh sure took UF to the woodshed..

15. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    I think he has finally realized the need for retooling his staff which has paid dividends. I am of the opinion that if you give good coaches with his record of success to correct course, it will pay eventually off. But his case represents a very unique set of circumstances with him being an alum (like Frost), unquestioned loyalty to the program and UM having no better option out there. Mullen would have been eventually successful at UF if he was given a chance to correct course, but he had too many things go against him - primarily attitude, shopping around for jobs, unwillingness to build the recruiting infrastructure around him etc...

16. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    It's probably more surprising Harbaugh didn't win when he got to Michigan than that he finally started winning now. He's been an excellent coach for a long time. You don't do what he did at Stanford and in the NFL unless you're really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    every single contract for a coach has incentives. It’s been that way forever

ncaa trouble is also noted in coach contracts

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LS1

LS1 Sophomore

Sep 9, 2015
    Hilliard, OH
    "People have been making sport of me since I can remember," Harbaugh said. "My earliest memories, 5, 6, 7, 8, in the schoolyard. People would make sport of me. I model my behavior by him (SpongeBob SquarePants). What a great employee he is. He is a go-getter, he's always got a bounce in his step. He's got pizzazz, he puts his heart and soul into making those patties. I think he's awesome."

Between the goofy quotes, refusing to eat chicken because it's a "nervous bird", sleepovers at a recruit's house and playing in treehouses, etc. The guy is as bizarre as it gets.

19. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Are you saying that there are clauses that can cut the pay if there are sanctions, recruiting and wins drop off, and the buy out amounts are changed downward? I recall that Mullen had some NCAA sanctions for minor recruiting infractions. Yet he got a new contract for more money and I believe a higher buyout.

20. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think one of the game commentators said he brought in young, hungry assistants.

• Winner Winner x 1