Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Happy Valentine's Day to All Our Ladies.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    February, 14, 2018.

Happy Valentine's Day to All Our Ladies. :)

I'm sure he'll remember to get you a very Nice Card and Flowers and maybe some Chocolates or something else very nice. :)

And of course by now he knows you will tell him, "Oh, you shouldn't have." But he has no doubt also knows by now if he doesn't he'll be in trouble, Big Time! Maybe even locked out of your bedroom for at least a month!

.So, I'm sure it will be a wonderful Valentine's Day for you. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, Happy Valentines Day to all our women.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. icequeen

icequeen GC Hall of Fame

May 21, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    I normally severly dislike today. I got officially engaged on a Valentine's Day. We had some nice ones before I became nothing more than "mom" to my ex.

So I focus on my kids...got them candy & stuffed Alpacas. We celebrated yesterday as I like alcohol with my chocolate and today is Ash Wednesday.

My consolation this year is knowing how many couples are having plans changed/messed up because it's a Holy Day. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    we celebrated Valentine's Day last night as well

• Like Like x 1
  5. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Sounds like that chocolate you had was bittersweet.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Wife showed me the handbag I am getting her for Valentines Day last night. I must be thoughtful because it looked nice.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    https://www.npr.org/2011/02/14/133693152/the-dark-origins-of-valentines-day

The Dark Origins Of Valentine's Day

Those Wild And Crazy Romans
    Though no one has pinpointed the exact origin of the holiday, one good place to start is ancient Rome, where men hit on women by, well, hitting them. From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. The men sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain.

The Roman romantics "were drunk. They were naked," says Noel Lenski, a historian at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Young women would actually line up for the men to hit them, Lenski says. They believed this would make them fertile. The brutal fete included a matchmaking lottery, in which young men drew the names of women from a jar. The couple would then be, um, coupled up for the duration of the festival — or longer, if the match was right.

The ancient Romans may also be responsible for the name of our modern day of love. Emperor Claudius II executed two men — both named Valentine — on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D. Their martyrdom was honored by the Catholic Church with the celebration of St. Valentine's Day. Later, Pope Gelasius I muddled things in the 5th century by combining St. Valentine's Day with Lupercalia to expel the pagan rituals. But the festival was more of a theatrical interpretation of what it had once been. Lenski adds, "It was a little more of a drunken revel, but the Christians put clothes back on it. That didn't stop it from being a day of fertility and love."

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. icequeen

icequeen GC Hall of Fame

May 21, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    That might taste good with the very nice Port I had last night. :cool:

And I get my own/make my own LOL. Kids loved their things and that's what counts I guess.:cool:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

and generous as I'm sure it was very nice (expensive)!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

I love port.....need to get a bottle

11. icequeen

icequeen GC Hall of Fame

May 21, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    I got a Fonseca Bin 27. Mid range. It was nice :) not as good as the more expensive ones but was very smooth.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Thank you, Ray. My husband had flowers, a card, and a heart-shaped cheesecake waiting on the bedside table this morning. He's been my valentine for 36 years, and he's still the best one, ever.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. secgator

secgator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2007
    I ordered from Shari's Berries to be delivered today for wife. I know--extremely overpriced chocolate covered strawberries--but she loves strawberries(and chocolate) so I went ahead having never done it before. I'm not a fan off strawberries at all, but I may try one just to see if they are even close to the hype. That is if she lets me try one. I almost expect her to lock them away so no one else can try them.:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If there is anything I know about Valentine's Day, it's that it is all about stuffed alpacas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    USA TODAY Snapshots 2.14.18

52%.

Of Americans Are Likely To Purchase A Box Of Chocolates For Themselves This Valentine's Day.

Source: National Confectioners Association survey of 1,254 adults.

Oh oh. Guilty as charged.